Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I bought a 1 yr-old 38 kWh Ioniq Premium EV in red just a month ago, this is replacing the Vauxhall Ampera Rex that I've been running for 5 years now. Have been looking for something suitable, that I could afford, had to be a similar sized hatchback capable of doing 160 mile trip in winter non-stop with a small safety margin. I do about 12k miles p.a., and in the Ampera that worked out at 6k miles totally solar-powered doing the local stuff perfectly, but long regular trips always used petrol, so I averaged 94 mpg overall. Now I should manage infinite mpg!

While buying the car at the dealer, the key fob got detached from the key + keyring twice while in my pocket! This happened again after I got the car home late at night, and the fob bit fell onto my drive; fortunately I noticed this, as it rained later. Key+Fob has a small pin to release mechanical key for emergency use, but why didn't Hyundai just make it the usual flip-out design? Bonkers decision to make it so easy to lose the fob, imho. Other Hyundai keys have a recessed slider, better, and safer, but still a silly design. To get around this, I've designed & made a small plastic shield that clamps onto the key-section and shields that pin from accidental pressing. Pics posted below, if you'ld like one (Xmas prezzy?), search on eBay for Hyundai Fob & Key Accidental Separation Loss Preventer Guard and you'll find it!

Otherwise it's looking to be a super car, boot is about 50L larger than Ampera so that's good, lots of much newer toys to learn & play with. I've got a BM2 battery monitor, 12V accessory socket voltmeter, and a Li-ion jump-starter portable pack on order as I really do not want to be stranded by 12V battery going flat unexpectedly problems! Even my Ampera has done that a couple of times! Sounds like the Ioniq door switches aren't very well protected against water ingress; those in the Ampera are absolutely waterproof & very well sealed, so never suffer water problems. They just break though, as the switches are internally horrendously badly made, but that's another story. Anyway, here are some pics of my fob with the guard fitted to it.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
51 Posts
Looks great. Wanted to order, but shipment to Sweden is unspecified, so sent you an Ebay message.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great. Wanted to order, but shipment to Sweden is unspecified, so sent you an Ebay message.
Thx for the info, I have now updated my eBay entry to include international shipping. I am now making parts for Hyundais as well as Amperas! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts