Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i was interested in hybrid cars for a while, and now, with a baby incoming we take the plunge.

I really like the Toyota system and reliability, but that drivetrain system is not for me and orography around me. We live in a zone of shore with many mountains, and that system is a bit noisy in the day by day running uphills.

In contrast the new Hyundai hybrid system is quite low (i tested the car for twice), and definitely we preffer this car. We have booked an unit in Iron gray, the level of equipment here is the middle-high one, called Tecno (the highest is Style that adds leather, electric seats, roof and front parking sensors).

One of the doubts we have is about the upholstery. I didn't see any photo of the cloth seats... only in this look like they are, but could be a very soon preproduction car or other line of equipment more basic.

If anyone has a clue of this, will be much appreciated.

See you around here.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
so you have actually driven the Ioniq?

can you give us a review of your thoughts on the interior, how did it drive, how was gearbox, comfort of driving position and if you did see the mpg or l/100km wht did you get

·
Registered
251 Posts
I second (or third) the motion, ViruTypeR, and move that it be accepted by acclamation.

Please tell us what you think of it when you get a chance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hehehe for sure guys.

Yes, i did two tests, one alone with the seller and the other one driving my girl in a similar path.

The driving position is fine, not to high and with many possibilities, the electric seats work great, the memory system too.

The cockpit is so nice, modern and with beauty graphics. The leather of the wheel is correct, but looks like not too much thickness.

The Nav screen and entertainment system works good too, easy to move between menus and fast. The interior quality and construction is at a high level for his price.

Like other hybrids, push start button and the car moves first un electric, very well filtered the sound and a good compromise between confort/stability of the suspension. The car goes in electric At good speed if you push smooth the gas, 90-100kmh.

The gearbox is by far the best deal of this car comparising to Toyota HSD system. I Drove an Auris Hybrid '15 and the car was noisier, uphills specially, and has slower reactions than this Ioniq. The power of the electric engine feels a bit less than in the Toyota (that engine is more powerful) but in practice, the car is a bit faster i think. The smoothness and not-slow gear changes are the better things of this transmission.

In a mixed travel of 1 hour made 5,5l/100kms with the Toyota. Not the same but similar roads with the Ioniq about half an hour i made a nice 4,5l/100kms trying car performances too, not riding eco-friendly lol. The Next day my girl in other roads, uphills, expressway, city and traffic an awesome 3l/100kms. Is a very efficient car.

I've not tested the car dinamics propperly, but looks not too bad for an Eco car. In Sport Mode, the gearbox is a bit faster, the accel has better response, etc. And the tacho dial is striking.

The only thing i don't like is the pedal of párking brake, totally out of era un this market, with button e-brakes in many cars. The braking feel is like in other hybrids, the regenerative braking looks like the car is braking less than you want, but a bit more pressing and the car stops fine. Only need adaptation.

Any doubt, tell me and will try to solve.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
virutyper

slightly personal question,

several of us on here looking at the Ioniq are 6 foot / 1.8m tall, you say driving position was comfortable and plenty of adjustment on seatposition,

could you let us know how tall you are, as if you are similar height it gives us another point to be happy with

also did you notice if heating / aircon worked when running only on electric power?

thanks

BC1

·
Registered
344 Posts
Definitely did plan on having to adapt to a different braking style as that's what I've heard from majority of people.

But that mileage is gosh darn insane. Can't wait and thanks !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
virutyper

slightly personal question,

several of us on here looking at the Ioniq are 6 foot / 1.8m tall, you say driving position was comfortable and plenty of adjustment on seatposition,

could you let us know how tall you are, as if you are similar height it gives us another point to be happy with

also did you notice if heating / aircon worked when running only on electric power?

thanks

BC1
I'm 1,82m tall, and at rear the space is nice too, the roof is far enough, i don't understand why some reviews says is a bit low.

The other question... Sorry but i cannot strongly affirm. I think that for heater the car has a Heat pump... But the Full aircon cpuld be only for PHEV and EV, i don't know.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
this is all good information,

giving us more hope there is less likely to be a hidden issue some of us will find that means the Ioniq is no good for us

did you check if it had a proper spare wheel, or the tyre repair kit?

the other big question , does it have a 12v battery?, the full EV does but we can't find a definite answer for the hybrid

thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, I'm a new member very interested in the Ioniq, but I think I will wait to know the price of the plug in version to take a decision about which version I will buy.

This video is very extensive and shows the 12V battery in the hybrid version (min 21:30) in the trunk and the tyre repair kit included, but I think there is space enough for a spare wheel:

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
thanks maninthemoon

that shows clearly where the 12v battery is

that's another question answered

the only one now is the heater, does it work then on electric? and is it an electric element type or heat pump on the hybrid

the EV has a heat pump but no mention of the type on hybrid / plug in

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't understand why they never tell you what the heating element is as that seems like a n important piece of information when it comes to hybrids with an extra battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car is finally in Spain. The next week i suppose to have in my hands and with number plate. I'll inform and show you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ViruTypeR - Congratulations - You are the first on this forum to own a new Ironic.

In addition to the question about cabin heating .... I'd like for you to answer a question for me. I'm skeptical about the transmission (I have driven CVT's for so long I have become accustomed to no shifting) When going over a modest incline, such as over a railroad track, or crossing another highway .... does the transmission downshift? I traded a car because the transmission was constantly shifting for every slight rise on the road. I found it most annoying. I expect it to downshift when going up a grade, or a mountain such as where I live, but the other car would not even go over a gradual rise in the highway without downshifting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It depends on the needs at gas pedal. If you are smooth on it at a rising road or highway could mantain a higher gear, in ECO mode it looks like preffer going on higher one, in SPORT mode, it keeps the car at more revs, downshift before, etc.

The 6th is so large, with more than 30mph at 1000rpm, so you can go at 60mph below 2000rpm (in flat roads with only the electric), and the petrol engine at those revs is so quiet.

I don't remember many gearshifting in my tests, also are so smooth and you can't feel always, and going at normal speeds uphill the engine was not revy. Thursday or Friday i think that the car will be in my hands, and could answer with better and founded opinions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks ViruTypeR -
I'm excited for you and can't wait for your report of actual ownership.
The experience I had was with an Acura RSX ...not a hybrid. I was just annoyed that it would downshift at the slightest rise in the road. I traded it for a Toyota Avalon hybrid, and it has the CVT, so I can't tell what the engine is doing. BTW, I have never driven in SPORT mode. I have never felt the need to do so.
Thanks again. We ar all awaiting you reports.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It depends on the needs at gas pedal. If you are smooth on it at a rising road or highway could mantain a higher gear, in ECO mode it looks like preffer going on higher one, in SPORT mode, it keeps the car at more revs, downshift before, etc.

The 6th is so large, with more than 30mph at 1000rpm, so you can go at 60mph below 2000rpm (in flat roads with only the electric), and the petrol engine at those revs is so quiet.

I don't remember many gearshifting in my tests, also are so smooth and you can't feel always, and going at normal speeds uphill the engine was not revy. Thursday or Friday i think that the car will be in my hands, and could answer with better and founded opinions.
It comes down to getting a real feel for the car. With some of my older cars once you got a feel for how the engine and transmission syncs you could keep rev's lower than if not getting a feel for the car and just driving however. Some people take time to adjust, others get it right away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I traded it for a Toyota Avalon hybrid, and it has the CVT, so I can't tell what the engine is doing. BTW, I have never driven in SPORT mode. I have never felt the need to do so.
Thanks again. We ar all awaiting you reports.
SPORT mode on Avalon is the same as PWR mode on Prius. It alters the throttle position to give you a false sense of more power. It depends on how you drive it. Most people get less mpg in PWR mode. Very few knows how to work the PWR mode to get more mpg than ECO mode. I've done 70mpg on PWR mode on a 50 mile city trip where I never broke 68mpg on ECO mode of the same distance.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts