Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a note of warning, anything that increases drag, like a roof rack, amplifies efficiency loss in an EV vs what would be seen in an ice car due to the inherent efficienticency.

Made up example. An EV that is 80% efficient, a 10% reduction by drag would see an 8% reduction in range where an ice car that’s 20% efficient would only see a 2% drop for the same drag. I think the actual number is close to a 5 fold difference on average between EV and ice.
That would be true if aerodynamic drag was the only factor, but there is also several others, like roll resistance, gradient resistance and so on. At higher speeds, a roof rack will play a bigger role, but if you go for a type like the one in the picture, a Yakima flushbar, its barely measurable at normal speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the look and the extra steps you take to protect the paint.
Is the wind noise noticeable at highway speed? My current rack the whistling noise starts anywhere north of 40km/hr.
I had the same Thule setup on our previous car, and I would say that its pretty quiet up to around 90km/h. Our Ioniq 5 has the Flushbar from Yakima, and it has noticeably less wind noise, but I would say that Thule´s Wingbar is easier to mount/unmount and at least here in Norway, its also cheaper.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
341 Posts
I love the look and the extra steps you take to protect the paint.
Is the wind noise noticeable at highway speed? My current rack the whistling noise starts anywhere north of 40km/hr.
Thanks, I did not like the black clamps and I was very happy with end result even though this was the first time I’ve vinyl wrapped something.

I’ve only driven with them once for around 40mins, max 80km/h with just the bars. Did not notice much wind noise but have to test them with my ski rack and roof box.

Had Wingbars on my old car and they only made noises when the T-track rubber strips that you had to cut to size to fit your attachments moved. But Thule have redesigned the rubber strip and you no longer need to cut them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same Thule setup on our previous car, and I would say that its pretty quiet up to around 90km/h. Our Ioniq 5 has the Flushbar from Yakima, and it has noticeably less wind noise, but I would say that Thule´s Wingbar is easier to mount/unmount and at least here in Norway, its also cheaper.
I looked at the Yakima site and it says that the Flushbar is not available for the Ioniq 5. Can you link me to where you bought yours?
Font Circle Brand Parallel Number

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
170 Posts
I looked at the Yakima site and it says that the Flushbar is not available for the Ioniq 5. Can you link me to where you bought yours? View attachment 43287
It is available in Europe. Very strange as Yakima is an American company. Even stranger, I asked them about this and the customer service representative has no way to contact the fit team and could only agree it was strange.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5, Preferred Long Range RWD, 77.4 kWH, Phantom Black
240 Posts
Has anyone in lowermainland BC Canada got roof cross bars on the Ioniq 5, if so is there a recommended supplier locally to purchase from with reasonable pricing?

·
Registered
'22 Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD - Atlas White
19 Posts
Has anyone in lowermainland BC Canada got roof cross bars on the Ioniq 5, if so is there a recommended supplier locally to purchase from with reasonable pricing?
Rack Stop in North Vancouver is excellent to deal with. They fitted my crossbars in record time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sadly, I don't know. I paid with airmiles. But they seemed to be charging the price quoted on the Thule site.

And no: the rack is NOT low profile View attachment 44604
Thanks I will check them out. I see you going through ferries, I wonder if you had a cargo box on top if it would clear there clearances.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred Short Range
127 Posts
Thanks I will check them out. I see you going through ferries, I wonder if you had a cargo box on top if it would clear there clearances.
I think it would depend on the ferry. Mail routes are no problem as large semis are on there all the time. For the small routes one would have to investigate the type of ferry and clearance.

·
Registered
'22 Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD - Atlas White
19 Posts
I think it would depend on the ferry. Mail routes are no problem as large semis are on there all the time. For the small routes one would have to investigate the type of ferry and clearance.
The roof box does not fit in four of the eight lanes on our ferry (Bowen Island), but is no problem in the centre two lanes on each side.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred Short Range
127 Posts
What is the price range? What was recommended, is there a flush edge version available for the car?
Just for comparison attached is a quote I have from Rack Attack. I'm still deciding on getting a roof rack. I do have a cargo box from Thule so it is just sitting in the garage unused.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just for comparison attached is a quote I have from Rack Attack. I'm still deciding on getting a roof rack. I do have a cargo box from Thule so it is just sitting in the garage unused.
That is the same quote I got from rack attack Coquitlam. I have an unused cargo box as well I got several years ago from sport rack (owned by thule I believe). I went ahead to purchase roof rack but decided to install myself to save that $90.

It certainly got pricey since the last time I got roof racks 7 years ago.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
341 Posts
Damn, that’s expensive. They retail for 4400nok (C$600) here in Norway but every store sell them for around 3200nok (C$430). Looked on the Canadian Thule website and it’s C$800 but unfortunately out of stock.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts