Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in a reservation and did my test drive over the weekend. I don't think mine will come until late spring/early summer - but I'm super excited about this.

Just posting as I have a couple of questions to those who has received their I5 already, that I don't think is something I will have answer until I get mine.

1. Roof Racks - those who has installed roof racks right now. Are wind noise noticeable or horrible through the glass roof? Cycling is my main thing 3 seasons and Skiing in Winter. My current vehicle with a sunroof - the noise is horrible, though I've gotten used to it. This is something I hope will improve.

2. I have a 6 year old child that will be in a car seat for years to come (high back + harness). Any thing you wished the Ioniq5 had done to make your life easier? How's access to trunk when car seat is installed. I hope that my current car seat can be set up in the "40" side, so the "60" side can still fold down for large items.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Limited
26 Posts
Roof racks do make some wind noise. There’s no way to get away from that, but it’s not too bad. I also got a tow bar and it has a removable bar and ball so will accept my bike rack as a tongue in groove fitting (I’m sure there’s a technical name for that fitting). I have vision roof too.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Limited (Shooting Star, Dark Green)
198 Posts
Roof racks do make some wind noise. There’s no way to get away from that, but it’s not too bad. I also got a tow bar and it has a removable bar and ball so will accept my bike rack as a tongue in groove fitting (I’m sure there’s a technical name for that fitting). I have vision roof too.
Can you show pics of your tow bar please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Switching to a hitch mount bike rack would be cool, but I still prefer keeping my skis on the roof. I've always thought hitch mount ski racks are kind of goofy.

I do like the retractable-ness of the EU spec hitch; keeping it clean.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
170 Posts
Put in a reservation and did my test drive over the weekend. I don't think mine will come until late spring/early summer - but I'm super excited about this.

Just posting as I have a couple of questions to those who has received their I5 already, that I don't think is something I will have answer until I get mine.

1. Roof Racks - those who has installed roof racks right now. Are wind noise noticeable or horrible through the glass roof? Cycling is my main thing 3 seasons and Skiing in Winter. My current vehicle with a sunroof - the noise is horrible, though I've gotten used to it. This is something I hope will improve.

2. I have a 6 year old child that will be in a car seat for years to come (high back + harness). Any thing you wished the Ioniq5 had done to make your life easier? How's access to trunk when car seat is installed. I hope that my current car seat can be set up in the "40" side, so the "60" side can still fold down for large items.

Thanks!
On the car seat, I had a bit of trouble getting my infant base very secure. There are only latch points on the two outside seats, but those seats are fairly deep and I initially couldn't get the angle correct for a newborn. But it was worse in the middle seat, as the seatbelt anchors on both sides are fairly far apart, so I could slide the base left and right easily.

So I had to adjust the angle of the seat back to get it nice and level on the 40 side with the latch points. I'm really glad that angle is adjustable. There are also tether points, not sure if that works for your car seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as requested, racks and hitch mount (with towball removed) as supplied from China
View attachment 38555

View attachment 38556
That looks awesome! Well the hitch is a little more convincing in this case. I am not familiar with the lower bumper just yet as there aren't too many on I5 on the road here in Canada. I am worried a tow bar will take away some of that ground clearance and cut into too much of the bumper. But your set up looks amazing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the car seat, I had a bit of trouble getting my infant base very secure. There are only latch points on the two outside seats, but those seats are fairly deep and I initially couldn't get the angle correct for a newborn. But it was worse in the middle seat, as the seatbelt anchors on both sides are fairly far apart, so I could slide the base left and right easily.

So I had to adjust the angle of the seat back to get it nice and level on the 40 side with the latch points. I'm really glad that angle is adjustable. There are also tether points, not sure if that works for your car seat.
Thanks for the reply. I got rid of my Toyota Tacoma for that very reason. I couldn't get it at the right angle with rear facing seats and the rear bench is quite tight even in the crew cab. Traded that in for a Honda Odyssey, and problem solved.

It's also my preference to have the car seat set up on rear right so I can attend to him easily with my right arm if needed. So that may limit on how I can set up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I got rid of my Toyota Tacoma for that very reason. I couldn't get it at the right angle with rear facing seats and the rear bench is quite tight even in the crew cab. Traded that in for a Honda Odyssey, and problem solved.

It's also my preference to have the car seat set up on rear right so I can attend to him easily with my right arm if needed. So that may limit on how I can set up.
Fortunately the seats are pretty roomy and the seat in front of the car seat doesn't have to be pulled too far forward. Huge improvement over our Subaru Impreza on that point.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As a note of warning, anything that increases drag, like a roof rack, amplifies efficiency loss in an EV vs what would be seen in an ice car due to the inherent efficienticency.

Made up example. An EV that is 80% efficient, a 10% reduction by drag would see an 8% reduction in range where an ice car that’s 20% efficient would only see a 2% drop for the same drag. I think the actual number is close to a 5 fold difference on average between EV and ice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a note of warning, anything that increases drag, like a roof rack, amplifies efficiency loss in an EV vs what would be seen in an ice car due to the inherent efficienticency.

Made up example. An EV that is 80% efficient, a 10% reduction by drag would see an 8% reduction in range where an ice car that’s 20% efficient would only see a 2% drop for the same drag. I think the actual number is close to a 5 fold difference on average between EV and ice.
This is a very good point. The I5 will be my first EV so there are many things that I will need to adjust to. I'm one of those people who has roof racks and attachment on all year around for various activities so that will certainly have to change.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
338 Posts
I just installed the Thule Wingbar Edge on my car. I vinyl wrapped the bars and clamps in white to match the car. I also applied paint protection film under the clamps to protect the paint and for easier alignment when remounting.

THU-7205 Edge clamps feet
THU-7216 Bar
THU-7215 Bar
THU-145301 Rubber feet and clamps

Edit: paid 3200nok (360usd/320eur) for the Thule where as my dealer was asking 4800nok (540usd/480eur) for Yakima.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Cloud Sky Automotive carrying rack Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Snow Automotive design Motor vehicle

Sky Cloud Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
AWD SE Grey
53 Posts
On the child seat- I had no problem getting mine fit (3 month old baby backwards facing seat).

NOTE- the manual specifically says to only install child seats behind either the passenger or driver seats not the middle if your using the latch attachments. So there’s that.

I installed mine on the 40 split. So the 60 can fold down for more storage. Plenty of space in the back seats so the passenger seat has loads of room which is nice. I haven’t had any issues with angle… all fits very nice for me!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with angle… all fits very nice for me!
My car seat got knocked in one review for being difficult to get at the proper angle, and it was also the same way in our old car, so not particularly surprising. Also, I just meant the base of the buckle or belt when I said seatbelt anchors--I know you're not supposed to put a seat in the middle using the latch points on either side seat!

·
Registered
AWD SE Grey
53 Posts
My car seat got knocked in one review for being difficult to get at the proper angle, and it was also the same way in our old car, so not particularly surprising. Also, I just meant the base of the buckle or belt when I said seatbelt anchors--I know you're not supposed to put a seat in the middle using the latch points on either side seat!
I didn’t know that until I read the manual so it was news to me! But I’m new to this parenting thing… and my last ride was a 2 seater pickup truck! So having a back seat is a huge step up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just installed the Thule Wingbar Edge on my car. I vinyl wrapped the bars and clamps in white to match the car. I also applied paint protection film under the clamps to protect the paint and for easier alignment when remounting.

THU-7205 Edge clamps feet
THU-7216 Bar
THU-7215 Bar
THU-145301 Rubber feet and clamps

Edit: paid 3200nok (360usd/320eur) for the Thule where as my dealer was asking 4800nok (540usd/480eur) for Yakima.

View attachment 38725
View attachment 38726
View attachment 38727
View attachment 38728
I love the look and the extra steps you take to protect the paint.
Is the wind noise noticeable at highway speed? My current rack the whistling noise starts anywhere north of 40km/hr.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts