Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everybody. I was Googling for more info about the Ioniq when I stumbled on this forum several weeks back and have been lurking ever since. There's a lot of info here and a great community providing lots of answers (leading to ever more questions!) and I decided to join. I live in Arizona in the US.

I've been a fan and customer of Toyota for 10+ years. I've never owned or driven a Hyundai. I currently drive a 2014 Prius C (financed) and a 2015 Corolla Sport (leased). The lease ends in a couple of weeks and will need replaced. So, I was looking at the new Prius Prime PHEV which looked pretty awesome, but I've been a bit turned off by the plastic-y interior, the enormous screen that is only useful with Toyota proprietary technology, among other things. I even looked at the Chevy Volt/Bolt but I have big worries about the value of the car as it seems cheaply made but they sure are expensive. I don't feel Chevy would take care of me if I had a problem. I have worries about Chevy due to experience with them in the past regarding quality and longevity. The Nissan LEAF is well, meh.

Then, after I heard about the Ioniq and it looking even better (on paper) with mileage and technology as well as it (potentially) being less expensive in comparison to those other vehicles, I'm hooked! It looks like a great car and the technology packed into it is pretty awesome. Full disclosure: I'm a big nerd and have an IT career so I get overly excited about new toy techie stuff.

I'm practically losing sleep over this, but am very torn between the Ioniq EV and the Ioniq Hybrid. I'm definitely having a hard time weighing the pros and cons of each to come to a solid conclusion, especially without being able to physically check them out yet. Hurry up Hyundai and get these to the US already!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to the group.

I am waiting for my Ioniq hybrid to be delivered. It's leased through a works scheme for employees, but had to have a car the was eco. Most things out there I didn't like, but the Ioniq I stumbled across by chance. Had one out for a hour or two and liked it. Very similar to my golf to drive which will be a second car which my wife will use but the Ioniq mine.

I work in IT too and love tech, so have gone for the premium se so it's fully loaded.

Interior quality isn't quite to German level, but given the equivalent spec'd Audi or Vw would be twice the price, it's the bargain of the century.

Can't wait to get mine. For me it had to be hybrid, as I just want to get in a car and go, don't want to stop every couple of hours etc to charge up if I am on a run.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RichieDan. I am definitely accustomed to basic interior as I've driven inexpensive cars like the Corolla, Prius c, Chevy Cavalier, etc. I couldn't afford an Audi, BMW, etc. so I don't think I'll miss a high-quality interior much. As long as the interior doesn't fall apart easily or feel too cheap and is at least comparable to my Prius, I think I'll get along with it just fine.

I definitely will also be getting the Premium SE version if I go for the Hybrid. There's a few cool features specific to the EV only which I like such as the full stop and go of the Dynamic Cruise Control, controllable regen braking, auto rain sensing windshield wipers and the LED headlights. My big concern is being in Arizona. We can get 120 degree Fahrenheit here in the summer, no joke. Add that to 90% humidity in a rain/dust/wind storm and you've got very harsh conditions. I've seen a lot of sub freezing and snow info here on the Ioniq but nothing like the conditions in Arizona. I'm concerned the life of the batteries would be significantly reduced, and just as extreme cold limits the range on the EV, I'm curious to know how the range would be affected here on the opposite side of the spectrum. Then what about DC Fast Charging a hot battery after driving it 100 miles and stop for a quick charge which will heat the battery more? Does anyone know how Hyundai is addressing keeping the batteries cool? Then there's a matter of cost, but unfortunately Hyundai has not yet released pricing information here yet.

I do worry a little about range anxiety, however, the wife and I agreed she would get a big Hyundai Tucson for long trips and I would get the Ioniq EV for shorter distances and around town.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I expect the direct effect of high temperatures on range is not too bad. Until 30 °C (86 °F) you even get the best range numbers as you can see here. Maybe for higher temperatures it will be worse but still better than under cold conditions.

However, there is another risk: battery degradation. That will also have an effect on the range on the long term. I did some explorations for the Prius Plug In battery. In that document I also refer to a more extensive investigation for the first generation Nissan Leaf. A main outcome there is that very high temperatures increase the degradation. But in that time there was no well-developed Battery Conditioning system. The Ioniq EV has such a system. Therefore I expect less problems. Nevertheless I would advise to keep the car out of the direct sun as much as possible, especially when it is (almost) fully charged, because keeping a fully charged car in the sun is the worst. Also only charging it fully immediately before departure is a good habit. Do you have a place to park the car under trees, a carport or in a garage that does not become hot?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Jan Treur. I will definitely be checking out the info you posted. Degradation is my primary fear for the EV. I know there are a lot of folks in Arizona that drive back and forth from Tucson and Phoenix in their Leaf which has even less range than the Ioniq, and haven't heard any complaints. Nor have I heard about degradation, but folks have really only owned them for a few years at most anyway.

If I purchased the EV, it would be in the garage most of the time except when I go to the office which isn't very often, maybe once a week on average (but that could always change). While I am at the office, unfortunately, the parking lot has very few trees, no covered parking, etc. I would definitely seek out the best shade possible. If I went anywhere after work, in general, the heat and direct sun shouldn't be as bad late in the day. I think I'd be able to manage just fine. Also, when at work when it is most exposed, I only would need a minimum of 20 miles to get back home, but would want closer to 30 or so as a buffer so I could definitely keep the charge lower on those days. What do you think is the optimal target percentage to keep the battery at in extreme high temps?

Would a foldable mesh or fabric style car cover/tarp be a good idea? Would that help, or do you think it would just act as a blanket to make the problem worse?

I have heard a lot of Arizonans in any car model say they only buy white paint vehicles because supposedly it reflects more light (obviously) and keeps their car cooler. Does anyone know if there is truly any significance to that, or is it just a wives' tale? Would it even have any effect on the battery at all, or just the interior cabin temperature? I'm partial to the blue color, but if it helps in a tangible way, I'd go ahead with the white if I had to.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The big unknown is that we don't know yet how effective the Battery Conditioning system of the Ioniq is. If it can keep the temperature of the battery always at room temperature there will not be a problem at all. But we are not sure about that, and if it does, the BC system will need energy from the battery, so it may affect the range and the battery should not become empty because of that.

An optimal percentage of charge is hard to give, maybe half filled is already very safe. A car cover may help a bit as at least it prevents the sun to shine to the inside through the windows; you could try it and measure the temperatures inside with and without such a cover. As you sketch your driving patterns, I think you are in quite good circumstances to minimize the exposure to the sun and the effect of heat, so maybe you should not worry too much. For colour, it also depends on how shiny you keep the car; a shiny blue car reflecting most of the sunlight back may even be better than a dirty white car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
50% battery charge would be very easy for me to do on those days I drive into work, so there's a plus. Dirty cars bug me a lot so I'll definitely keep it on the cleaner side, no matter the color. Was Googling around a bit and found several articles including the one at this link that say yes, paint color does have a real impact at least on the interior temperature of a car. The Mythbusters even confirmed it, and the State of California at one time even considered banning the sale of black cars due to the extra emissions needed to cool the cars!

Additionally, white cars supposedly have a 10% less chance of getting in a multi-car accident vs. dark colors. But what really makes the difference is keeping on your DRLs. So, if I'm going to get an EV I will probably get it in white for my best chances all around lol. The most important verifiable item to me is that the climate control won't have to work as hard and will give me better range and use less kWh.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I think the best thing to look at would be if there is any information on Tesla's for battery degradation as they use similar LiPo battery tech where as Toyota's use a mix of NiMh / LiPo depending on model in the US so you can' easily be sure which battery tech data applies to with Toyta

also most Tesla's are in the US I believe so the data is likely to be more relevant

the Ioniq does have heating for battery conditioning in the cold (but I think only if plugged into external power) and cooling to ambient temperature with a small fan and some ducts near rear doors but if the ambient temp in car is high due to direct sun not sure how good it would be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts