Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Headlights when on, and being projected have two shaded areas.. very evident when towards a wall or just in the yard.. (see pictures below)
But when driving, I find that there is a dark spot/ blind spot ahead in the line of site at higher distances and it seems dangerous
and counter productive if you cant see the middle of the road....
I am told by a hyundai dealer here, that this is a design "feature" to prevent
blinding people when passing a car. Im posting photos to find out if anyone
here in the USA can shoot a pictures and post them of their headlight projection on a wall
to see there results.

Thanks
IONICMAN

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,070 Posts
You have the limited so you definitely have projectors and probably HIDs as well. That's normal and by design. As the dealer said, it's to prevent dazzling oncoming cars. The passenger side light should shine a bit further than the driver side light. I believe you have the bi-xenon bulbs so there's an actual flap type of thing that drops in front of the bulb for the low beams that gets raised for the high beam. I'm guessing the shaded areas go away with the high beams?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the shaded areas do go away the high beams.. The azera doesn't do this, there is a straight line of light all the way across from left to right. I rarely drive this ioniq so not that big of a deal, but do not like that design...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes, the shaded areas do go away the high beams.. The azera doesn't do this, there is a straight line of light all the way across from left to right. I rarely drive this ioniq so not that big of a deal, but do not like that design...
Do the Azera have projector housings? Projectors have a much more defined cut-off than a standard reflector housing which give the impression of less distance but the distance should be about the same, the cut off is just more abrupt.

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
below is the beam pattern from the EU spec Ioniqs, its flat with a kick up on the passenger side (yes we drive on the left) to provide better reach on the nearside verge without dazzling oncoming cars

no dips in the beam on dipped for us

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a SEL with halogen bulb in projector housing. I never notice the shade. I will take a photo tonight.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have a SEL with halogen bulb in projector housing. I never notice the shade. I will take a photo tonight.
I was thinking about this yesterday. Projectors definitely give a more defined cutoff but I think the shade is product of the US Limited having Bi-xenon lights. There is no high beam bulb, it raises or lowers a shield for high/low beams and that shield probably produces that shadow (by design). I couldn't find a reliable source online that describes it better than I can but I didn't spend a ton of time looking either.

·
Registered
701 Posts
As promise. photo of my beam profile.

ioniq hybrid SEL with stock H7 Halogen bulb, stock parking light bulb and stock high beam bulb.

I use iPhone camera on auto, so the shutter speed and f.stop changed on all three photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It think what @Cha just posted shows that I was mostly wrong about the projectors being the cause. I do believe it's the shield for the low beams that the bi-xenon lights have. I wish I could find a video or a write-up that corroborated that. I hope to get my car back on Monday and I'll see if I have the same shadow on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 Ioniq EV Limited with the Dynamic Bi-Xenon headlights. The left side beam does not spread uniformly. The projection cone is clearly visible on the driver's (left) side of the road while the middle of the road is darker. You can see the picture of reflected beam below -- the left beam has more a pronounced circular shape while the right is diffused. Could this be an issue with the projector lens?
20200324_222040.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts