Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Headlight upgraded to LED

11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  MikeC 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I finally did the headlight upgrade to LED. Last year I upgraded my stock headlight bulb to Sylvania Zxe which I think is way better than the stock bulb.

Today I replaced the Sylvania Zxe with Fadyshow H7 LED Headlight which I bought from Amazon. Apparently, this is cheaper than the Sylvania Zxe and the result is way better than Halogen.

For those who want to have a brighter and more white look, this Fadyshow H7 LED will be a good upgrade.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: evioniq
#5 ·
It is definitely brighter than stock bulb. I really hate the stock bulb. It is hard to say whether it is brighter than sylvania zxe but it is whiter and cooler colour.

#7 ·
We had 2 identical Volts for a few years and I had good quality LED's in my wifes, and cheap-ish HID's in mine. I find the HID's to be far superior. I had to wire in a relay to feed the initial higher startup amperage requirements for the ballast, but with that done, they work perfectly.

I'll be installing HID's in our new Ioniq, no question.

#9 ·
When I do the HID upgrade on the Ioniq I could look at doing a write up.

I'm hoping that the wiring Hyundai used to feed the existing bulbs is a little better gauge vs what GM used on our Volt, and accordingly, it won't need a relay setup to fire off the ballast reliably. Won't know until I actually go for the install.

#12 ·
Thanks in advance if you can put together a how to. I have taken the headlight assembly apart and the wires seem to be of standard thickness. I would think going with a relay harness would be insurance against frying the OEM wires. Although I did do an install of a HID kit without relay harness on a 2003 Mazda 6 without any issues 10 years ago. It was my old car before getting the Ioniq EV. The only issue I see the the limited space in the headlight housing to hold HID bulb. In this thread https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/313-exterior/30630-[diy]-change-low-beam-headlight-led.html another member did LED H& bulb swap and it seems that HID would be possible using this method.

#15 ·
Those are for foglights!

I ordered something similar on Wish.com, no heatsink etc. They're like 1400lmns which is even weaker than stock halogens. Real LED H7 are 4500lmns or more. Once I did a bit of research I found that some cars have H7 bulbs for foglights are the LED bulbs I got were for foglights.

#17 ·
Interesting, I want to do it, but it's illegal. From what I have seen, even the manufacturers of the LED bulbs state it's not legal for road use. Apparently, you cannot add an LED bulb to a fixture designed for Halogen. It violates the DOT certification of the headlight. If anyone knows a work around, let me know.

Thanks!

#19 ·
Hi Guys,

I finally did the headlight upgrade to LED. Last year I upgraded my stock headlight bulb to Sylvania Zxe which I think is way better than the stock bulb.

Today I replaced the Sylvania Zxe with Fadyshow H7 LED Headlight which I bought from Amazon. Apparently, this is cheaper than the Sylvania Zxe and the result is way better than Halogen.

For those who want to have a brighter and more white look, this Fadyshow H7 LED will be a good upgrade.
Hey @MikeC are you still running these LEDs and have they held up since your installation? How long ago was it?

#20 ·
Oh it work well but there is one issue the dashboard keep showing the notification that head light is not working. The light keep coming on. I dont like that error message even though the light are working. Eventually, i changed it to other light.

Now I traded my EV for PHEV.

Reactions: evioniq
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.