Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read numerous posts I’m beginning to be concerned I may have made a mistake!

I realise the forum tends to concentrate on the negatives as people search for answers to issues. We have an ID3 and know all about teething issues and software problems (especially in the beginning!)

However I have read some posts where range is an issue, the software buggy, radios not working very well and sat nav not good (plus many others!)

I placed order in August for Ultimate AWD with both packs. Loved the test drive i had and preferred to the Enyaq, but so much negativity on the forum.

Hope can get some positive feedback to re-assure I have done the right thing As delivery is a long way in the future still (no build date given yet)

Thanks to all!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having read numerous posts I’m beginning to be concerned I may have made a mistake!

I realise the forum tends to concentrate on the negatives as people search for answers to issues. We have an ID3 and know all about teething issues and software problems (especially in the beginning!)

However I have read some posts where range is an issue, the software buggy, radios not working very well and sat nav not good (plus many others!)

I placed order in August for Ultimate AWD with both packs. Loved the test drive i had and preferred to the Enyaq, but so much negativity on the forum.

Hope can get some positive feedback to re-assure I have done the right thing As delivery is a long way in the future still (no build date given yet)

Thanks to all!!
I’m 300miles in now and loving it! I have a premium RWD 73kwh and so far no issues. Did my first long drive this week and it was a joy. In terms of miles I think I’m getting closer to 260

·
Registered
158 Posts
My Ioniq5 is at the moment completly updated software wise and I have no problems what so ever....

As well the Sat-Nav got a lot better and reliable since the mid november update. As well the voice assistant is also much better now.

The software will mature during the lifecycle, but thats for every car of this generation.

On the range topic, depends on how you dirve... for me its completly fine to charge every 2-3 hours on the motorway!

·
Registered
Project 45 Phantom Black
79 Posts
The two major recurring issues I have observed from a few owners are the 12V battery drain and problems with the charge door button becoming unresponsive and other charge door issues. These two issues may well be related as it may look like issues with the charge door drains the 12V battery faster than the mainenance charger can keep up. I expect these issues to be sorted and in fact the charge door on our P45 is due for replacement as the button has failed. The other things people (and I) have reported are more of a nuisance and often related to software glitches, many which has been fixed in later updates. The nav and maps have improved among other things. People tend to turn to the forums asking for help and guidance when something happens that we don't understand. That's why there will always be a focus on things that could be issues. Often it's just a matter of learning how things work, though. I wouldn't worry. It's an advanced and new car model and there are bound to be some issues at launch. We've driven about 7500 km since we got it in august and both my wife and I love it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
509 Posts
I suspect the ID.3 with 58 kWh usable will have more range than the I5 with same 58 kWh capacity. I reckoned the ID.3 58 I owned briefly used 10% more electricity than my Ioniq 38 at identical 70 mph motorway conditions, and the I5 is surely more like the ID.4 in size & cross-sectional area? I'm getting around 4.7 m/kWh in my 38er at the moment (lorry-plus-a-bit speeds on M'way) and we're seeing I5 guys typically talking about 3.something m/kWh it seems. Aerodynamic it's not, sadly.

Reactions: rwerp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I too am waiting delivery & at times have wondered about my choice but I now just figure -
1/ I don't think I ever driven +160 miles (let alone the 220+ I expect & hope for ((RWD)) without wanting to stop. Considering how quick it can charge then that's wont be a problem.
1a/ problem with charging times >> with heat as per the you tube by Bjørn Nyland , seems solved by sensible use of AC/heater ( as indeed suggested in the manual)
2/ No rear wiper - having driven a van on & off given the blind spot assist + rear camera and having driven a test car in the rain (but not heavy) which seemed ok , then this for me is not a deal breaker
3/ Yes software bugs but that's why I'm happy & grateful to all these P45 beta testers who have managed to get ?most ironed out & I've even got another 6-8 weeks more beta testing to be done by them + new owners before mine arrives so that's good (for me) too.
4/ re 12v battery - I have bought off amazon a 3 in 1 usb charger ( not that the I5 needs anymore of those!!!!!!) + volt monitor for £11.99 might well be charging the 12V up the first night it arrives.
So I reckon now is a great time to get this great car, but then I'm an optimist.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm just back from a 820 mile round trip in my RWD 73. 85% motorway / dual carriageway, sitting at 70 where possible (although lots of 50mph zones on the M6!), in 6-8C on the outward journeys Mon/Tues and 4-6C on the return today, and averaged 3.3mi/kWh overall. I'm happy with that in the conditions and with such a large proportion of highway mileage. Today I had one 180 mile leg that took me from 100% down to 25%, I stopped for 30 minutes for lunch and by the time I got back to the car I was back up to 75%. Charging speed is definitely a lot slower in cold temperatures, but it was OK. And I'm very relaxed and have no aches and pains despite 8.5 hours on the road today!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for the replies and much more positive responses!!

12v battery issues remind of our early experience with the ID3 (recovered and off road for 3 weeks!) but software updates have solved the issues on that and can see the I5 is going through similar updates
The I5 will be replacing my CRV hybrid and will be undertaking the longer distance duties with regular trips to Swansea about 200 mile round trip from me and nearly all motorway. Hoping the I5 will do the round trip with our a charge |(certainky summer should be no problem, based on experience with the ID,
Great to see so many positives and cant wait to drive ours sometime next year!!

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
120 Posts
Another owner still having a great time with their purchase. Real world range for my P45 seems to be 190-220 miles, depending on which mode I have it in and how toasty I like it in the cabin. I think the WLTP rating is somewhere around 240 miles for the Project 45 so it's not too bad.

The car drives well, the software has been updated and seems to be less laggy than before, and I've had no issues at all since the last MCU update.

·
Registered
I5 AWD Eco + Tech Lucid Blue (on order)
35 Posts
Is that range varying much now we are getting into colder snap (for UK) and wintertime weather?

If it is I’ll be a happy chap

Another owner still having a great time with their purchase. Real world range for my P45 seems to be 190-220 miles, depending on which mode I have it in and how toasty I like it in the cabin. I think the WLTP rating is somewhere around 240 miles for the Project 45 so it's not too bad.

The car drives well, the software has been updated and seems to be less laggy than before, and I've had no issues at all since the last MCU update.

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
120 Posts
Is that range varying much now we are getting into colder snap (for UK) and wintertime weather?

If it is I’ll be a happy chap
This week I've been averaging 2.7 miles per kWh, with the heated steering wheel and heated seats both on for the duration of my journeys, with the car set to ECO mode, all around town driving (no national speed limit areas). I also tend to use the remote function to turn on the climate control and heated steering wheel five or so minutes before I get into the car. So I think this is probably as low as it gets for me in terms of consumption and range.

Before the cold snap I was up around 3.4, in the same mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You did do it right! The Internet can be a usefull place. But it can also be a place were you will find not so usefull info. If you have a simple cold … you are doomed by lots of experts with mere seconds to live. Same goes for cars , it is a personal experience , mostly emotions are involved. Yes you will find squeeks and screeches. But I also own a 1962 Soviet Army jeep. So i can tell you…. Enjoy and enter a new era of car driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The two major recurring issues I have observed from a few owners are the 12V battery drain and problems with the charge door button becoming unresponsive and other charge door issues. These two issues may well be related as it may look like issues with the charge door drains the 12V battery faster than the mainenance charger can keep up. I expect these issues to be sorted and in fact the charge door on our P45 is due for replacement as the button has failed. The other things people (and I) have reported are more of a nuisance and often related to software glitches, many which has been fixed in later updates. The nav and maps have improved among other things. People tend to turn to the forums asking for help and guidance when something happens that we don't understand. That's why there will always be a focus on things that could be issues. Often it's just a matter of learning how things work, though. I wouldn't worry. It's an advanced and new car model and there are bound to be some issues at launch. We've driven about 7500 km since we got it in august and both my wife and I love it. Hope this helps.
Figured I would ask about the ride quality as reviewers always seem to point out Jittery , not sporty, wooly ride, now that i am almost 70 and always had sporty handling cars will I be disappointed or is the comfortable ride worth it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have driven plenty of soft, boring rental cars on holiday. The i5 is not sporty, like a BMW M3, or Golf Gti. It is not particularly boring to drive either though. I still haven't really got into 'Sport' mode as 'Normal' is nippy enough for my local roads. The only thing I can imagine being 'jittery' is the self driving modes like LKA. I tend to manually drive the car. Lane Keeping is not good enough on country lanes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts