Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have tried about 7 chargers outside my house in southern Ontario, Canada, and so far 0/3 CCS have worked, and 2/4 level 2 chargers have worked.

Is there not the standards for electric chargers that there are for gas stations? Do they get checked at all after the first installation? I have owned my electric for about 2 months and so far I am not impressed with the coverage out there, it's a little disapointing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I haven't had any problems so far with the public chargers here in Sweden. They have all been working.

Don't they have phone numbers or other contact information posted on the chargers, so you can call to report the problems?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
This is going to become an increasing problem:
In the UK the failure rate for public charge points is atrocious. Most companies accept a nominal failure rate, and quote a 24-48 hour repair time. The reality is up to 50% can be out-of-use at any one time, and the rate increases with the level of charger - a 7kw charger can have a failure rate of 3 times a year. A 40kw charger can be as high as 12 times a year. And that's before vandalism!

With that, one would hope that the repair time would equate closely with 1 to 2 days claimed - the reality is that being `out of use` averages up to 2 weeks. Too much reliance is based on remote repair. Anyone who's worked on medium-to-high voltage systems will tell you many repairs occur because of consequent failures - I was asked to bid for a contract that involved having a guaranteed response of 24 hours, but there was no spares backup except for that which we bought and held in stores. Not happening!

And the desired response time could only be met with a tenfold increase in two-man teams and vehicles - and that was based upon the companies stated failure rate, which bore no relation to `actual`...

We declined the invitation to tender!

Reactions: BlueNev

·
Registered
195 Posts
See today's Daily Mail for another article on the pitfalls of EV ownership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I haven't had any problems so far with the public chargers here in Sweden. They have all been working.

Don't they have phone numbers or other contact information posted on the chargers, so you can call to report the problems?
Lucky you living in your forward thinking efficient scandanavian country! :)

I also have discovered since this post that the problem is most likely with my EV, not the chargers themselves, although some were still out of order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happy to report that level three public chargers along the highway between Halifax, Nova Scotia and Moncton, New Brunswick Canada have had no issues. I've done the route (~240km) 4 or 5 times since the early fall needing one charge to make the trip in above 0 temps and two charges (to avoid charge anxiety) in below 0 temps. Level two chargers in the Halifax area have been good too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lucky you living in your forward thinking efficient scandanavian country! :)
Well, chargers apparently fail here too...

Today I went shopping at my favorite mall where both parking and charging are free. There are two Tesla only chargers, four type 2 chargers, and two posts with schuko-sockets (ordinary household outlets).

When I arrived, all the bays were taken, but a Toyota Prius just backed out and left a space for me at one of the schuko-chargers. I hooked up my car and began charging. Better slow charge than no charge! But I also noticed that all the type 2 chargers were completely dark and out of power.

I went for a burger and some shopping. When I came back an hour later there were two security guards in conversation with some of the car owners at the type 2 chargers. Apparently, the loss of power meant that they couldn't disconnect their cars. The cables were locked in place! So the security guard tried to reach someone on the phone for assistance.

I don't know how it all ended. I myself had no problem finishing up and disconnecting my car, since there's no lock on a simple schuko-plug...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts