Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first experience of a hard stop today at a pedestrian crossing.. my bad I know. Only clocked them at the last minute (they hadn't actually crossed yet!) and put my foot down hard on the brake. Was probs accelerating to 30mph at the time and the car did not like it. :|
Made a god awful sound which even the pedestrians heard and the vibration through the brake pedal wasn't great either. Thought I'd broke it. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar experience with SOFT braking on sheet ice. I wasn't convinced the electronic assistance actually increased my safety.
I'm not exactly feeling much confidence under hard breaking with the EV, either. It doesn't sound and feel like the car quite happy when you do it, especially if you are at a higher speed.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
As far as I can tell, all trims and different country models have the same brakes. On the plus side, they seem to have worked out the balance and transition (during normal braking) from regenerative to standard braking.

One other small thing I know about the brakes: not suitable for track. They fade quickly and are annoyed by even one fast full stop from 60 mph. One assumes the very best braking will come only from the lightest base trims. Tweaking the brakes performance is possible, say by simple pad changes, but past that probably too difficult.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a few 75 to 0 stops.. and this 'emergency stop', it's reliable, at no point did I feel like it wasn't going to stop but it does feel veeerrry different to other cars I must say and i was worried I damaged the brakes a few times because they felt weird after as well.. very technical description there I know.. "it's just doing weird things.. can you fix it ??" said every annoying user ever.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ABS is supposed to "shiver' the car and the brake pedal. And noteworthy, should NEVER, ever be used on ice. You will slip and slide all over the place when you brake so hard ABS kicks in. It will even make your stopping distance (up to) twice as long. Never, ever rely on ABS. Always use common sense, which is not built in to the car for some strange reason :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ice? That's like sunshine.. it doesn't exist in this country.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely the spongiest brakes I've ever experienced. My first hybrid ever, so I assume it has something to do with the regenerative technology. Not looking forward to an emergency stop.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Definitely the spongiest brakes I've ever experienced. My first hybrid ever, so I assume it has something to do with the regenerative technology. Not looking forward to an emergency stop.
Worry not , I've had a few ....no problem ...they bite when needed ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
believe me the brakes are deceptively good

had a few occasions to try them out in anger at motorway speeds to full stop over the last 30,000 miles

if you need to hit the brakes you definite throw the anchor out the back, and if you brake really hard it automatically activates the hazard warning lights

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
...if you brake really hard it automatically activates the hazard warning lights
Did not know that. Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
In Eco mode the brakes pedal stroke are deliberately long and therefore very "spongy" to incite you to start braking early and maximise power regeneration.

If you want to feel the typical brakes of a standard car: just switch to sport mode. In sport mode the brake pedal stroke is shorter. But then you will probably regenerate less power, because you will start braking later and harder will therefore use more mechanical brakes and less regen.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Practice makes perfect.
I've mentioned on several occasions that the regen braking interferes with the `early pedal feel` but push through that and it's plenty good enough for emergencies.

You just need to go at it a couple of times a week to get the feel for the system. A judder is normal, the skill is in keeping the pedal pressed - it is an uncommon feedback.

The brake test will often cause the pads/pistons to respond oddly the first time as the resistance is overcome, along with mild rust build-up on the disks. Regular testing of the brakes will offset that AND train the driver to respond positively.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I've had several lately. My 2017 is about 2.5 years old. I've had it checked about 6 weeks ago. It's an absolute nightmare to stop this car at 60-70 mph. It's such a heavy car. I always fishtail. I hate driving in SoCAL.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've had several lately. My 2017 is about 2.5 years old. I've had it checked about 6 weeks ago. It's an absolute nightmare to stop this car at 60-70 mph. It's such a heavy car. I always fishtail. I hate driving in SoCAL.
Heavy car? Compared to what? The Ioniq is around 3000 lbs which is per darn light by today's standards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts