Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the car, don't get me wrong, but:

What were the engineers thinking when they decided to NOT put a rear windscreen wiper on that humongues piece of glass in the back?

Seriously? I got in the car at 5.15 am this morning, and everything was wet wet wet and damp. Nothing a simple wipe would not solve, but... I can't wipe :( . Instead of cleaning manually I decided to test how long it will take for the rear screen heater to clear the rear window. Let me be short: it does not. Almere (home) ->Amsterdam (work) is 30k. When I arrived (1:25 l/km :) ) the top half of the window was still dangerously damp (I couldn't see thru it).

Any clues as to wether it is possible to retrofit a wiperblade?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Retrofitting a wiper blade is going to be quite the difficult task. I agree, throw some rain x on it and it'll at least be somewhat helpful.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
any of these glass treatments need to be applied to really clean glass or they don't adhere to the glass for long

also I normally apply rainx, leave for 5 minutes for the solvent to evaporate, apply a second coat, leave 5 minutes then buff off with cotton cloth

·
Registered
776 Posts
RainX needs at least 3 treatments after 1 hour dry per treatment. This fits for ~ 3 months without a wiper scraping it off. Don' t get the fuzz of missing a backscreen wiper. My Honda Insight had one and.never used it. Its looks ugly and you have the risk of loosing the f.... thing in the carwash. Moreover, it doesn' t work at all giving stripes and a small looking hole. I clean my windows with a handwiper before driving off. Easy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
any of these glass treatments need to be applied to really clean glass or they don't adhere to the glass for long

also I normally apply rainx, leave for 5 minutes for the solvent to evaporate, apply a second coat, leave 5 minutes then buff off with cotton cloth
Agreed. I love Rain X and have always had good results but heard people complain. Probably due to poor prep before applying.

On the rear windshield a good application should last ages as there is no wiper to wear it away.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If you go fast enough the aeros will blow the glass clean... about 90 should do it.

...so a `friend` tells me. 0:)

Rain X or some near equivalent from the boating industry for me, too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yep, Rain-X should help, but agree, seems to be an oversight.

Prob to keep the drag down. If it's a big issue get a Prius instead but look how they had to compensate for the wiper to keep the drag down on that by making it soooo ugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good topic! Never heard of cars not having this wiper on the back, on our car we use it all the time to ensure good vision. We'll make sure to get that Rain-X. But doesn't the dealer treat the windows with something like this before delivery, maybe?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
My rear window behaves as if they did. Not any problem with sight when driving. Only before departure sometimes it can be good to wipe it (same as for side windows).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Really? This is a CAR deficiency? If the designers left something out, it's a DESIGNER DEFICIENCY, not a deficiency of the CAR itself. The CAR cannot be blamed for not having a gigantic rear window water slinger.

As a car, evaluated on it's merits, the Ioniq hybrid is just fine!.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you go fast enough the aeros will blow the glass clean... about 90 should do it.

...so a `friend` tells me. 0:)
Was wondering why I never had a problem with rain on my window ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts