Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Starting new thread suggested by another forum member.

I am interested in getting the EV in the next month or so. I have scheduled a test drive next week and will be bringing 2 friends with me who are also interested.

I want to see if I can get a get discount if I have 4-6 people coming into the dealer. For now I have 4 interested, myself and my 2 friends, Marcel_g.

If you or anyone else are interested, send me a PM or reply here giving me the following information:

- Hybrid or EV
- Trim level (be that hybrid or EV)
- Color of choice
- Anticipated date/month of purchase
- Cash, Finance or Lease (including # of years finance or lease)
- Your anticipated out the door price, excluding $14,000 rebate for EV. I am looking at Invoice price myself with may be free maintenance or something.

Obviously I don't know if this is possible due to the supply constraint, but if we can show Hyundai Canada there is a demand, they might move more EV this way. Thanks and have a great day

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since my account is new I cannot send PMs so I will reply here.

I am interested in the Ioniq but unfortunately still in a lease for another year on my current vehicle.

I looked at the car at the Ottawa Auto Show and was quite excited to see it after reading about it on the web.

I have been out to Surgenor Hyundai once to see the hybrid and sit in it again (to see how well I fit as I am a big buy). I haven't driven one yet but will once they become available.

I am thinking I want the PHEV version right now but with limited information available it's hard to say.

The wife wants to get a bigger car so we can fit 4 but the only option that appeals there is the Sonata PHEV. Perhaps if the deal was too good to pass up and the cost of breaking the lease wasn't too high then yes I may consider it.

Either way since discovering this forum I am learning more and can't wait to talk with others in town that will get one.

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am waiting for the dealer (Myers in Kanata) to get a Ioniq EV so that we can test drive it. Wifey and I will not commit until then. The saleswoman told us that it was going to be a couple of weeks before they get them o the lot (that was a week ago).
Assuming the test drive goes well, we would, most likely, get the Limited. I do not expect a lot of wiggle room on the price, as it is a new car and it seems to be in demand.
I would hope the Ontario rebate gets applied at purchase time.

If we cannot make a deal in Ottawa, we will do what we always do. Contact the APA, who will give us the name of a dealer in Ontario who is willing to sell it at a reduced price. We bought our last two Nissan vehicles that way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am waiting for the dealer (Myers in Kanata) to get a Ioniq EV so that we can test drive it.
I am also working with Myers Kanata and have been told they are scheduled to get the hybrid in about 10 days AND may get the electric I ordered at the same time. I am meeting with them on Friday to see if we can agree on price/terms and finalize things (my insurance company expects to have their rates quote on Monday and I may need that to make everything final).

Since the interest in Ottawa is varied, not sure how a group deal would work. I always prefer to work with a dealership in my neighbourhood but I also won't accept a bad deal. Given the demand and potential limited supply, I too don't expect much movement on price but there may be flexibility somewhere.

If you want to chat further, let me know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am also working with Myers Kanata and have been told they are scheduled to get the hybrid in about 10 days AND may get the electric I ordered at the same time. I am meeting with them on Friday to see if we can agree on price/terms and finalize things (my insurance company expects to have their rates quote on Monday and I may need that to make everything final).

Since the interest in Ottawa is varied, not sure how a group deal would work. I always prefer to work with a dealership in my neighbourhood but I also won't accept a bad deal. Given the demand and potential limited supply, I too don't expect much movement on price but there may be flexibility somewhere.

If you want to chat further, let me know.
Good luck on the negotiating.

In my case, I will have to wait until we can have a decent test drive before making a decision. If we decide to go ahead and purchase one, I might reach out to you and ask what kind of a deal you got. Then the saleslady and us won't have to do the silly sales dance and negotiate for hours.

André

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey redflag999,

I tried responding to your message but it appears that I have to make 15 posts before being allowed to send personal messages. Interesting!

In any case, I would not mind being part of a group purchase. As you mentioned, Myers BC or Myers Kanata ... same owners.

I have met the saleslady at the Kanata location, but it was just so that I could get a brochure for the Ioniq.

André

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dear Redflag999,

Since I still a newbie here I cannot respond to your PM yet. If you would like to chat offline from this Forum send me a PM with you email address and I will respond. Best I can do until I reach the quota.

In a nutshell I am also waiting until I can drive an Ioniq to make any type of decision. I am a big guy and although I fit in the drivers seat I need to be in it for a while to know if it is going to be uncomfortable or not.

Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have PM'ed @stuckoncanada and @testguy with my email address.

I am test driving the EV next Monday morning with my 2 friends and I will give my impression afterwards.

As you probably knows, dealership pays referral fee when you refer someone to them when they buy a car, I want to make it clear that I will not be taking any referral fee for this potential group buy, I am just trying to get the best deal possible for everyone. I will give your name and email address to the dealer IF that's is ok with you so he know you will be calling for a test drive. I will report back on any numbers I will be getting from the dealer. The main thing I want to nail down is the final out the door price for the Ioniq as this is the most important number. Afterward, you can decide if you want to pay cash, finance or lease, trade-in.

Please understand that this car is brand new to Canada and I have no idea what the supply situation is like but I would presume they will try to do anything they can if they can sell 4-6 cars in the 1st month the car is available as they will probably get a big bonus (hold back) at the end of the year.

If you have any questions regarding the car, you can post it here so I can ask the dealer next week. My initial questions

- Does the drive selector button gets locked up (D, R, P) when you are driving so it doesn't get accidentally pressed. Like when you are driving forward and your cup hit the Reverse button
- How loud is the low speed noise generator and at what speed does it stop. Can this noise be disabled. I created a new thread for this and there is another similar thread from the UK side that you can look up
- Lease rate and Finance rate, terms etc

Keep the questions coming and I will try to get as many answers as I can

Danny,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is the PM approach to minimize the chatter in the forums?

I ask because I struggle with that issue. I've used PM a few times but I always ponder why private and not public posts. The reason I keep coming up with - while I'm comfortable about openness, not everyone is. I use PM to respect a persons' choice on what to share.

I'll be hearing what the sales manager has to say tomorrow about leasing and financing. Much is already public, e.g. financing 2.59%. Leasing ranging from 2.99% to 3.99%. In this internet age I'm curious how car buying changes when there are no secrets or need for deals to be private. I'm new to leasing and learning a lot from others' experience - I'll share my experience as I get some.

Everyone is a bit different and a bit the same. I suspect agreements to be the similar - some prefer the lowest price and others prefer to have accessories put in for "free" and not change a base price. Then there are dealer invoice prices vs MSRP. It has been such a game when selling cars (or most things). I do understand volume economics and some of the ways industry changes the game/terms to "win". For example Hyundais' efforts with the subscription service being offered in California. Different markets, different prices, different games. I hope forums like this one continue to share and improve everything .. buying, using, educating, experiencing.. and having fun.

I personally have made a choice to support local businesses and prefer to give them a first shot at being successful. If I don't enjoy their games, I'll the venture further - Bells Corners is almost as close as Kanata.

Surgenor, Dilawri, Myers, etc. each do business a bit differently - I find it both frustrating and valuable..

I anticipate great sharing of information and whatever else happens .. hopefully sharing that works for everyone

... pondering if this was a rant or based on lack of experience...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will admit that I am no good at negotiating. I have only ever bought used cars from a dealer but felt fair with the price I've paid but never a great deal. I am currently leasing for the first time and once the contract is done I am sure it will be quite the learning experience. at the time I was shopping it made good sense to lease as I wanted to get into this market but the options were limited for a big guy.

I am willing to share information here but sending emails outside of this forum is easier for me. Although I find this forum to be a blessing of information it is also overwhelming in trying to keep up. An email I can go back to and reread at my leisure.

If anyone in Ottawa wants together over a coffee or pint and chat I'd be game.

Cheers

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am willing to share information here but sending emails outside of this forum is easier for me. Although I find this forum to be a blessing of information it is also overwhelming in trying to keep up. An email I can go back to and reread at my leisure.

If anyone in Ottawa wants together over a coffee or pint and chat I'd be game.
I get that :)

I like email but in many ways, I'm an introvert and the forums are more social (certainly more informative as a big group).

I'm sure there are better ways to use the forums - which topics, what's new, etc.

I found it a very different experience on my phone, iPad and computer ... and of course, in person.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PsWilson, in a sense, PM is used to minimize thread traffic but also for privacy concern as I am asking for some personal information like email address. Other times I just want to clarify some things from a previous post and if I decide that information is not relevant to the group, I use PM instead of posting to the forum.

Please keep us informed on your talk with your dealer tomorrow and I will be doing the same after my test drive. As you said, most information is already available regarding MSRP, invoice price, finance and lease rate. The Ioniq itself really does not have a lot of options to choose from other than the trims. The rest of the 'options' like etching, extended warrantee, lock nug etc, most people I talked to said it's just a money grab by the dealer.

I was told when negotiating for the car, the most important thing is to nail down the final price. Cash, finance, lease, trade-in should have no baring on that price. Only after you get that price do you discuss the other stuff. So my goal is to get that 'final price' to be as close to the invoice price if possible. I understand the supply issue and they might not be willing to cut too much but as the person in Mississauga (I think, or may be in Montreal) mentioned, he got the SE-CCP at around MSRP-$1500ish so there is room to get the price down especially if I am able to bring in 3-6 sales in a short period of time.

As for leasing, I don't know if everybody knows but I didn't know about it at the time and the dealer did not mention it to me when I lease my 1st car is that at the end of the lease (2-3 months before lease end), someone will come to your place and do a very detailed inspection of the car. They mark down every ding, dent, scrape, tire wear and most of these will cost you money before you can return the car (or you can fix everything yourself). I think they call it Excess Wear & Tear. Just so you know, so don't expect to just drop off your car at the end of your lease and you are done. You might need to buy new tires, fix dents etc or pay them. I learned that the hard way as my bill was just over $1500 quoted by them. Live and learn right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I certainly will share how things go. It may be naive of me to expect too much from dealerships in this internet age - how business needs to change to stay relevant given the choices people can make.

I understand about email, phone numbers etc being confidential - there is certainly too many example of insane things happening.

For me, what I think is reasonable - whether that may be price, options, rates etc maybe seen differently by others. I look at things like my annual and total cost of ownership not an individual price on one particular thing. I look for flexibility and a willingness to adjust based on circumstances and conditions in the moment. Whether I get the lowest price (before cash, financing or leasing) is offset if I get more for a trade-in or tires on sale or ... it all gets blended together.. I want spend as little as 'feels right' and have the dealership make some money too (everyone needs to live).

What this all means - I'm still considering what is a fair total cost of ownership by year and by how long I want to keep the car before getting a new car. I am considering replacing the Ioniq after 4 years.

Thanks for sharing your experience with leasing - I have never done it before although I used a company lease (did not know how end of lease cost worked). Still curious how this will alm work out - I really like to experience having the Ioniq soon... life with an EV and all that means (e.g., never used a charging station before - but how challenging can it be?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I am weary of when my lease is up and what the dealer may want repaired. I have known people who's stories went both good and bad. In the end it may be worth just buying my lease out and thus have second vehicle. One thing I have learned is that the leased car does not have to go back to the leasing dealership provided the next dealership is giving you a trade-in value worth is equal to the buyout. This way the original leasing dealership gets their money and the lessee may just get a better deal (providing that you are not interested in any cars from the original leasing dealership).

·
Registered
328 Posts
As supply is limited, you might want to setup a list who will get the first crack of the shipment. Not a good way to start a friendship if the other person is not happy that he had to wait another 6 weeks for the new vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As supply is limited, you might want to setup a list who will get the first crack of the shipment. Not a good way to start a friendship if the other person is not happy that he had to wait another 6 weeks for the new vehicle.
Appreciate you comment sc8888. This is pretty simple to resolve.

I am pretty sure everyone that is interested and contacted me knows there is probably limited supply of the car. I am not trying to sell the car, only informing the dealer there are a few of us that are interested in getting this car and most of us want to get the car within the next month or so. And hopefully negotiate a reasonable price on behalf on everybody. I expect to get a solid number by the end of next week and I will let everybody know what that number is. As I said before, I am trying to get the dealer to agree to the out the door number for both the SE-CCP and the Limited trim. The dealer will also have the contact info of these people and if and when they decide to do a test drive and purchase, they will continue the process of finance, lease, trade-in etc. Whoever do this first and put down a deposit will probably get the first dip on whatever inventory the dealer can get their hands on. I didn't ask anyone to sign a contract and I am doing this only as I want the best deal for myself and I believe the dealer will see the benefit of several potential sales as an incentive to lower the asking price.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
thing is buying a car is like any negotiation, so long as both parties feel they got a good deal they are happy

you can drive a hard bargain on the cost of the car getting it at or below invoice, or you can get a really good deal on your trade in car, but at the end of the day you can rarely get both together

at the end of the day the dealer needs to make a certain amount to stay in business

best option is getting the finance APR % as low as possible as that has far more effect on the overall cost of the total paid over the life of the finance deal than getting an extra few pounds, bucks, dollars etc of the invoice

1 - 20 of 49 Posts