Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq electric Premium SE from new
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about the somewhat ugly grey plastic trim on the EV which replaces the standard grill on the hybrids.

Would you consider painting it?
We have the white one on order and I'd seriously consider professionally painting that grey plastic white.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
I actually went for silver because I thought that insipid grey panel didn't do the car any justice whatsoever.
On US versions it looks to be gloss black, a far better option.

Not sure if painting it might affect the radar sensors that lie behind - best to check in case they use a special non-conductive paint.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
personally I think painting it white would make I worse, to much white and you would have to get an exact match of the colour

colouring that panel breaks up the front and there is no colour matching issue, gloss black I could see working ok, but I is personal choice

the radar sensors for smart cruise I believe are behind the Hyundai badge

you then have the other issue to paint that panel properly you will probably need to take the whole bumper off ,possible the radar sensors and headlights before you could separate that panel for painting

then as alien-s said you need to make sure the paint don't affect the radar sensor behind it, or you may find smart cruise and the AEB / anti collision system will fail to work

might be cheaper and better to see if you could get the panel wrapped with vinyl, you could probably get them to put a bit of waste vinyl over the sensor area take the car out to make sure the sensors are not affected before commiting

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gray plastic front.

I have a polar white EV and I think the grey bumper looks good, if it was painted white it would be to much white on the car and also if you did do it yourself you may be invalidating the warranty if anything went wrong.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq electric Premium SE from new
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. I agree, I think black actually would be better. Needs to look right, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
From looking at pictures, I actually think the grey looks better than the gloss black, and I'm disappointed that black is what we'll get here in the US. Maybe this will change when I actually see it in person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ended up buying the hybrid (for other reasons) but when I was looking at the possibility of buying the electric I was quite put off by the pictures of the grey front, and much preferred the gloss black. When I finally saw a grey front in person (on a Marina Blue car) it didn't look bad, just different, and it wouldn't have stopped me buying one especially as the rest of the car was so good.

I guess we're all so conditioned to what the front of a car should look like (grilles, vents etc) that the aerodynamic noses of EVs are "challenging" to look at. When I had a BMW i3 on an extended test drive a few months back, several work colleagues came to have a look and they were utterly fascinated by the smooth front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From looking at pictures, I actually think the grey looks better than the gloss black, and I'm disappointed that black is what we'll get here in the US. Maybe this will change when I actually see it in person.
I will swap you my grey grill haha

1 - 20 of 46 Posts