Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings from Atlanta, Georgia in the USA! Or, well, one of its suburbs anyway.

I took delivery of a 2017 hybrid on Thursday night 5/4, after trading a 2015 Tucson. Mine is the Blue model with 15-inch wheels, in "Symphony Air Silver" (I checked Platinum Silver in the poll) with a beige interior. The dealer had me test-drive a Limited, but at least in the US, there's a significant price difference even going from Blue to SEL. For what it added on, I wasn't willing to pay it, so I chose a Blue.

Interesting story: I contacted the dealer at 2:00 p.m. on 5/3 about a specific vehicle they had on their lot. By the time I actually got there at 7:00 p.m., they'd swapped it out to another dealership for a sale. So I had to wait an extra day while they did yet another dealer swap to get me a Blue. So, apparently, there is a demand for these things although I haven't yet seen any in the wild.

Incidentally, it seemed that the plug-in hybrid was available for pre-order at the dealership. I do not have a place to install a charger so I was only interested in the conventional hybrid, but I thought that was interesting given that, right, now, Hyundai says they're only available in California.

This is my fourth Hyundai and first hybrid. I had had an Elantra Touring (i30cw for those in Europe) but thought I was going to be able to purchase a lightweight travel trailer, so I stepped up to a Tucson. Little did I know that I would end up buying a house instead, and at that point the Tucson became a white elephant. It has good mileage for its class, but it's still an SUV which means it wasn't as good as my little Touring. Plus, the maintenance costs including tires were higher and, well, it handled like an SUV.

The only reason I hadn't replaced the Elantra Touring with a hybrid was that towing issue, plus the fact that at the time, all available hybrid cars in the US had a CVT. After having had an earlier car with one, I learned I DESPISE them. So I'd resigned myself to just going ahead and running my white elephant up to the 150K-180K I intended and living with the higher costs.

Until HYUNDAI, of all models, came out with a non-CVT hybrid.

The rest, as they say, is history! :)

Atlanta folks: if you see a silver Ioniq with a spay/neuter license plate and cat lady magnets on the back (this Ioniq will be a part-time cat rescue transport vehicle), wave or drop a line. That's me.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
welcome sonria

if the US is like the UK demand exceeded forecast by over 300%

no problem as a cat taxi, you could get a number of cat crates in the boot without the load cover, and even more in with the rear seats down :)

enjoy and post a few pics :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
While we were waiting for my financing to finalize, the salesperson and I determined that the exact number of cat carriers that will fit in an Ioniq is six under standard circumstances, up to perhaps ten if you're willing to crowd them. (If you do two cats per carrier, that's a LOT of cats...the most I've ever done is eight, and that included a momma with babies so it was only three carriers.)

We also determined that both he and I could get into the back and close the hatch, if the back seats were both folded down. And that the emergency interior hatch release does, indeed, work as advertised.

Yes, we were bored.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well. No cat magnets after all. I didn't realize the liftgate cover wasn't magnetic!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts