Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Great White North

I am in the market for an EV as my "fossil fuel" car as Bjorn Nyland said is getting close to retirement, Have done a fair bit of research and following Bjorn Nyland youtube reviews along with his nimber tasks. I envy how far the charging infrastructure have evolved in Norway. It will be a while before Canada can catch up.

In Ontario the government is throwing in a large incentive ($14,000) which make it super attractive to switch to EV.

So far the Hyundai is the front runner but I am holding back and see what Nissan have to offer with their 2nd generation Leaf.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Greetings from the Great White North

So far the Hyundai is the front runner but I am holding back and see what Nissan have to offer with their 2nd generation Leaf.
Welcome - I'm from Ottawa

Hope to trade in my Prius for the Ioniq electric - waiting mainly for pricing and availability. The Leaf and e-golf seem a bit too small for my needs but there is more to consider than cargo space (and price, range, availability, battery management system, etc)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forums, I wouldn't really get your hopes up with the Leaf to try and compare to the Ioniq at all. BUT that all depends on what you're really looking for.

What are your needs like for an EV?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a second vehicle and is use mainly for commute to work less than 60KM a day. The current Leaf can foot the bill but with the extreme cold here the Leaf range is kind on the low side of my comfort zone.

My ideal EV need:

1. Range over 100KM when it is -40 degree C
2. Can sustain driving 100KM/h on highway
3. On the road cost below CAD$33,000 including incentive.

There are other requirements such as styling, safety features, remote connectivity and warranty but I can compromised on these secondary requirements.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Greeting, I'm from Ottawa too.

I'm looking to replace my gas mobile with an electric, and I'm not sure I want to wait for Leaf 2.0. It'll depend on how the pricing for the Ioniq ends up. And the fact that Leaf 1.0 leasing rates right now are really low ($250/month) but the Ioniq looks like a much better car, and that extra bit of range makes the Ioniq much more viable for occasional road trips.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure I want to wait for Leaf 2.0. It'll depend on how the pricing for the Ioniq ends up. And the fact that Leaf 1.0 leasing rates right now are really low ($250/month)
The Leaf seems too small for me. If I am forced to wait, I am more curious what Hyundai has planned for Ioniq 2018

I do believe the current Ioniq is the better car (right now) for me .. as for pricing, my expectations are that it will be priced $7K below the Bolt (top of the line version for each) .. not sure how that compares to a similar trim level of the Leaf. Leasing for less than $300/month works for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vehicle is released last year so other than longer range (200+miles) don't expect much change.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a second vehicle and is use mainly for commute to work less than 60KM a day. The current Leaf can foot the bill but with the extreme cold here the Leaf range is kind on the low side of my comfort zone.

My ideal EV need:

1. Range over 100KM when it is -40 degree C
2. Can sustain driving 100KM/h on highway
3. On the road cost below CAD$33,000 including incentive.

There are other requirements such as styling, safety features, remote connectivity and warranty but I can compromised on these secondary requirements.
Exactly, the Leaf 1 is just not efficient enough for the winter here especially if this is the only car you have.

1. I am not sure anyone has driven the Ioniq at -40C temp yet. I am hoping to get over 135km at -20C @ 100km/h, this is my worst case scenario.
2. The Ioniq can do that
3. The Ioniq will definitely be below C$33,000 OTD as even the Bolt LT @ $45K + tax - $14K (Ontario rebate) will be around $37K. I highly doubt they will price the Ioniq only $4k cheaper than the Bolt. I am hoping the Ioniq SE-CCP will be around $24-26K OTD and the Limited is under $30k

·
Registered
91 Posts
The vehicle is released last year so other than longer range (200+miles) don't expect much change.
Exactly. The only other thing I had hope for is they put the AEB and LDW to all trim instead of just Limited.

Also have 2 pack with a 40/45kwh and a 60kwh version. Bjorn just did a video driving the Bolt over 450km with 30ish km left over in Korea a week or so ago. With the better efficiency of the Ioniq, a 60kwh pack can potentially do 550km and a 45kwh pack can do over 350km (under really good condition). That's enough for 98% of all my driving

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly. The only other thing I had hope for is they put the AEB and LDW to all trim instead of just Limited.
I sure hope these safety features are available on all vehicle even the base trim. With the price point of EV I see no reason why they have to be on the top trim. I don't want sunroof or need leather seats but I will pay for these safety option with a reasonable price.

If the Ioniq have a 60kW pack it will be a serious Telsa 3 competitor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
While I agree the Ioniq was only first revealed in late 2015, Hyundai has been developing new technology/electronics used in other vehicles that might be advanced into their EV efforts and appear in the Ioniq.. I like to be hopeful .. I also would like to see vehicles compared to things other than range - safety and ride experience just a couple of examples

·
Registered
87 Posts
We just want the price and availability!!!
What is taking them so much time!!! Can't believe it!!

Should be this month!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are many review on youtube from US and Europe. It is not any super car or a Tesla and comparable to other subcompact gas vehicle. I have tested the Nissan Leaf with a smaller motor and I have no complain with speed pickup and highway performance. The Ioniq is more powerful so performance should be better. Until you have driven one it is tough to say whether you like it or not in reading/viewing the reviews.

With the limited supply crash test results is probably a year down the road. It is still a small vehicle so might not have 5 stars on every categories. The most challenging test is probably the front small overlap crash test.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
These are the results of the European NCAP safety test.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The crash test results look good. The European frontal offset test is equivalent to moderate overlap frontal tests in North America. This test usually have better results compare to the small overlap frontal test. Not that many small cars pass the small overlap test.

Frontal crash tests

1 - 15 of 15 Posts