Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We know Europe has some of the best enthusiast roads like the Stelvio pass and the likes but the US has 2 hidden gems that most people don't realize.

1. The first one is in my home state of Ohio called the Triple Nickel (SR 555) it's over 62 miles of scenic winding roads where the speed limit doesn't make much sense. It's almost like the government is daring you to drive fast. Don't hit any school bus or logging semi-trucks while you're at it.

2. The second and perhaps most challenging one is Tail of the Dragon (US 129) at Deals Gap in North Carolina. 318 curves in 11 miles and only 52 deaths since 1995. If you wreck or damage your vehicle you can hang a small part of your vehicle on a memorial tree.

However, with a bit of common sense and paying close attention, you can have a lot of fun. I already did the first one and looking forward to the second.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Everyone knows about Tail of the Dragon, one of the most mentioned roads among enthusiasts. I've never heard about SR 555 even though I live in Ohio. I'm not really a joy rider, but I'll have to do a day trip and take my motorcycle. The only opportunity I usually have to scrape my footpegs on Ohio's mostly straight roads is on entrance ramps. Thanks! Looks like a fun area to bicycle too and I've not explored there much. Edge of Appalachia in Eastern Ohio for reference. I have worked in Zanesville just north of there and the accents are amusing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
NYC beats it all. Jaywalking, cab drivers who originally developed their skills in congested Asian cities, roadworks, illegally stopped cars and trucks, all add to the fun.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
NYC is fun, but it is really hard to blast around a corner testing the car's handling without hitting a pedestrian or cyclist (or dog). So I've always refrained as I hear the local constabulary don't take kindly to removing obstacles from the road.

·
Registered
475 Posts
NYC is fun, but it is really hard to blast around a corner testing the car's handling without hitting a pedestrian or cyclist (or dog). So I've always refrained as I hear the local constabulary don't take kindly to removing obstacles from the road.
It’s the adrenaline rush that counts in the end, isn’t it? Blasting around the corner is short, driving through the city takes time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts