Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73 Ultimate RWD in GG - Now rejected
105 Posts
Matte paint finish vehicle - DAMAGE REPAIR
In the case of matte paint finish vehicles, it is impossible to modify only the damaged area and repair of the whole part is necessary. If the vehicle is damaged and painting is required, we recommend that you have your vehicle maintained and repaired by an HYUNDAI authorized repairer. Take extreme care, as it is difficult to restore the quality after the repair.
Yes, that's good info Jaz.

My wife will no longer take the car to a car park or to the shopping centre in case she damages it.

If we had our choice again then we would probably select a car with shiny paint.

SB

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD + Tech + Eco GG
157 Posts
Yes, that's good info Jaz.

My wife will no longer take the car to a car park or to the shopping centre in case she damages it.

If we had our choice again then we would probably select a car with shiny paint.

SB
Same here - my Wife won't take the car shopping so I'm buying her one of her own, didn't think that the car could save me money!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same here - my Wife won't take the car shopping so I'm buying her one of her own, didn't think that the car could save me money!
We're probably going to do something similiar Mark, albeit she's happy with our white BMW. The fact that she refuses to drive it is not much good in all honesty.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
129 Posts
'Maintaining' a Gravity Gold Matte car seems to be OK from our own experience of owning 'GG Matte' but has anyone yet had to repair a panel or get a scrape removed?
Yes, sadly. Five days in and a very gentle rub on a chain link fence. :eek:. Looks good as new after SMART repair (purely by coincidence - by the same outfit that do bodywork for the dealer that supplied the car)
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, sadly. Five days in and a very gentle rub on a chain link fence. :eek:. Looks good as new after SMART repair (purely by coincidence - by the same outfit that do bodywork for the dealer that supplied the car)
View attachment 35946
Do you know what the repair entailed, i.e. was it a simple touch-up or did they respray the lower bumper area?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
129 Posts
The black area on the wheel arch was filled and repaired, the lower front spoiler was touched up, and the gold itself was resprayed on the affected panel and blended off towards the number plate. If you look very closely you can see a very slight clue of overspray right at the bottom of the wheel arch which is minute but its too small to worry about and only an expert looking at the area closely would pick it up. Overall, very happy. £225 so less than my insurance excess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The black area on the wheel arch was filled and repaired, the lower front spoiler was touched up, and the gold itself was resprayed on the affected panel and blended off towards the number plate. If you look very closely you can see a very slight clue of overspray right at the bottom of the wheel arch which is minute but its too small to worry about and only an expert looking at the area closely would pick it up. Overall, very happy. £225 so less than my insurance excess.
That's really useful info and thanks for posting it up.

I'm being super-careful with our GG as I would be gutted if I scratched it. A big scuff or scratch on a door or a rear quarter would likely cost a small fortune to fix.

I best start saving - just in case!!

Thanks again,

SB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Happy to help.
This little scrape was my fault so I only have myself to blame. I'd rather that than come back to my car and find someone had parked next to it and scraped it, opened their door and dinged my paintwork, or worse still - keyed it.
Sadly, scrapes and dings are a part of life now and folks don't seem to care if they damage someone elses car or not.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
311 Posts
...If you look very closely you can see a very slight clue of overspray right at the bottom of the wheel arch which is minute but its too small to worry about and only an expert looking at the area closely would pick it up.
I can only see the "Before Fix" pic, Is there supposed to be an "After Fix" pic as well?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can only see the "Before Fix" pic, Is there supposed to be an "After Fix" pic as well?
Yes, there is supposed to be one! I was going to take it today, but it's been peeing down all day here. will do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just reading all this, and having slightly concerned thoughts. For me this is just a family car, and I'm not going to treat it with kid gloves.

Does anyone have experience of a Matte colour that they've taken through car washes, or generally treated fairly poorly? Does taking a Matte coloured car through a car wash just make it into a gloss finish?!!!!!

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
311 Posts
Does anyone have experience of a Matte colour that they've taken through car washes ....
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Honestly - Don't take ANY new car into a Car Wash - Gloss or Matte - you may as well just go over the body with Brillo pads
Whatever the paint type, the rotating brushes are almost guaranteed to leave swirl marks

I'm also not bothered with all the kid gloves talk about covering the car with film etc, but just use the 2 bucket method of washing & buy a couple of new sponges & micro-fibre cloths for every wash :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
A quick question guys: I hear lots about people leasing and PCP'ing their Matte painted I5s but what happens if you return the car at the end of the contract period and the paint is in a shabby condition because it hasn't been correctly maintained.

Will the finance guys hit you with a bill for damage or neglect?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the dreaded word 'reasonable' and its interpretation comes into play @Speedy Bix !
I you have taken what could be considered to be reasonable steps to look after the paintwork but due to the nature of the paint it has deteriorated, that is reasonable. However if, knowing the delicate nature of matte paint you regularly took it through automatic car washes or left bird or other deposits to eat into the finish, that might be classed as not correctly maintained.
Sorry, I appreciate this is not very helpful.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone know if body shops in the UK know how to respray panels in Gravity Gold Matte? Asking for a friend.... ahmm... 😥

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone know if body shops in the UK know how to respray panels in Gravity Gold Matte? Asking for a friend.... ahmm... 😥
Just my opinion but I think it's very important that you select a paint technician who is familiar with the application of Matte paint.

To that end I would begin by phoning/approaching any large BMW or Mercedes franchise network who has its own 'in-house' accident repair unit. That said, it won't be cheap though and to repair a Matte painted Merc or BMW costs a small fortune.

There are some very talented guys in the UK who can repair cars but the aim is to find someone who is familiar with the Matte paint style.

Good luck and tell us all how your friend gets on.

SB

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just my opinion but I think it's very important that you select a paint technician who is familiar with the application of Matte paint.

To that end I would begin by phoning/approaching any large BMW or Mercedes franchise network who has its own 'in-house' accident repair unit. That said, it won't be cheap though and to repair a Matte painted Merc or BMW costs a small fortune.

There are some very talented guys in the UK who can repair cars but the aim is to find someone who is familiar with the Matte paint style.

Good luck and tell us all how your friend gets on.

SB
The car is on a business lease from Hyundai Capital UK, so I went to the Hyundai approved repairer that the supplying dealer recommended. But I won't be booked in for at least 4 to 6 weeks. I can only hope they'll do a good job.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
The car is on a business lease from Hyundai Capital UK, so I went to the Hyundai approved repairer that the supplying dealer recommended. But I won't be booked in for at least 4 to 6 weeks. I can only hope they'll do a good job.....
That's great news. I'm pleased the repair is scheduled to be sorted.

The missus and I finally disposed of our Gravity Gold Matte I5 yesterday and TBH I'm quite relieved that it has gone. I almost feel as if a huge responsibility has been lifted off my shoulders by no longer owning a Matte car.

I hope your car gets sorted asap.

All the best,

SB

41 - 60 of 66 Posts