Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that Rapid Aqua Wax is designed for matte finish paintwork ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gave my Silver Fox the 2 bucket Auto Glym treatment today

2 capfulls of shampoo in Bucket 1 - wash all over car with sponge - then do the wheels with a stiff nylon brush

Wash off with clean water from Bucket 2 using a brand new sponge

Whilst car is still wet, spray Rapid Aqua Wax on 1 panel at a time & immediately wipe off with a micro fibre cloth

Car now Good-to-Go & ready for the next batch of insects

:cool:
Do yourself a favour and get rid of those sponges especially if you are going to the trouble of using the 2BM (2 bucket method). Give one of these a try - Microfiber Madness Incredimitt or Incredipad.

To be honest matte is no harder to keep clean than any other finish if you use the right products (owned matte car previously), the issue you have is when you obtain damage such as stone chips/ light scratches (that includes from washing) or accident damage.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
129 Posts
I'm sure you've all seen this, but worth posting again. Shame he doesn't say what it cost, how long it lasts, or explain future care and maintenance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi All,
Thought I would post these pictures and some info that I posted on the SpeakEV site, and some of the questions I was asked afterwards. Pictures are from when I picked up my car from the Detailers, really happy with the end result - Photos' don't really do justice to the look of the car and I now have the benefit of the Matte paint being ceramic coated.

A few photos below.....

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Grille

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

BADGES :
I had the small HTRAC badge removed, they said it was very easy to do using a little heat from a heat gun, came straight off, the IONIQ 5 lettering will be easier to remove as NOT on paintwork (especially Matte paint) The lettering is easy to take off as not on painted plastic, you can use a bit of fine fishing line and glue remover - Easy to do.

COST:
Obviously prices will vary for a number of factors - Mine cost Just over £500 for a 2 coat pro finish, 2 men all day, outside and inside protection and all glass sealed and wheels coated, for me it is all worth it for the benefits it gives me in cleaning the car (I'm Disabled) and also the protection of the matte paint - I could have gone for non matte paint to make life easier but didn't like any of the colours (everything is down to individual choices). If they had the Red or Yacht Blue of the KIA EV6 I would have gone for them instead. I know £500+ is expensive but in relation to the price of the car it's not.

Dealers are generally not the place to get this sort of thing, would probably cost similar but the results will not be as good. For me the benefits outweigh the cons for getting this done

WHAT DID THEY USE :
Carpro Professional 2 layer Ceramic Coating for the car and wheels, All exterior glass coated with a hydrophobic sealant and a full interior leather and fabric protection package

HOW DO YOU LOOK AFTER THE CAR AFTER BEING COATED:
My detailer gave me a pack explaining what has been done, also they explain how to look after the paintwork. Snow foam the car and do a 2 bucket wash with PH Neutral car shampoo using a microfibre Mitt (DO NOT use a Sponge), but generally maintenance is a quick jet wash, then quick wipe dry with high quality microfibre towels.
(I have a hand held detailing blower to blow most of the water off, which handily can plug into the V2L external port if I'm not near a power outlet, makes it so much easier)

Obviously still wipe off any Bird droppings as soon as possible with a wet microfibre towel (if really bad soak the area or jet wash before wiping)

WHAT NOT TO DO :
Don't use automatic car washes, The brushes will strip the coating off the car and damage the paintwork, also avoid hand car washes, they do not do the 2 bucket wash method and grit will almost certainly be on the cloths they wipe your car with, which will scratch the surface of the car. Also they tend to spray a mild acid solution on your wheels to release brake dust, this will strip any coating off your wheels if they have been ceramic coated like mine have been.

Obvious one is USE NO POLISHING WAX PRODUCT unless it states it is for use on Matte paint surfaces on the bodywork - defeats the purpose of a Matte finish car

AFTERCARE - GUARANTEE
They guarantee the protection for a year (will vary by whoever does the work), BUT it is how you maintain the car afterwards - I have no worries about the protection at all, just basic common sense applies.

They recommend maybe looking at a top up after a year - but this depends on how you look after the car if this is needed, I have found on all my other cars that I have had coated if you follow the advice, top ups are generally not needed till 2 or 3 years.

When they were doing the car they said that the paint finish that Hyundai have done on the car is very good - The surface of the car is very slick and smooth

Hope this is of some help to somebody

Kind Regards

Phil

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
311 Posts
Pictures are from when I picked up my car from the Detailers, really happy with the end result - Photos' don't really do justice to the look of the car and I now have the benefit of the Matte paint being ceramic coated.
Very Nice - and an affordable protection package as well
Funny how different lighting brings out the gold in the car - I've yet to see the gold in mine

(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sure you've all seen this, but worth posting again. Shame he doesn't say what it cost, how long it lasts, or explain future care and maintenance.
Its a very good video to demonstrate how detailing and ceramic coatings are applied and we are about to get our P45 GG detailed using Gtechniq C1 and Exo. One thing I was uncertain about was using Gtechniq G1 glass coating on the solar roof as the manual states very clearly not to put any sort of coating on the solar roof as it may affect its performance. I have already advised our detailer not to put a coating on the solar roof and just to clean it as part of the wash stage of detailing. The Gtechniq C1 is supposed to last 2 years and future care / maintenance is supposed to be as simple as just rinse / snow foam / wash / dry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So, had my car back from its PPF process a week now, very pleased with the result. All of the car has been protected except solar panel and windows. No visible sight of the process.
Back in two weeks for a two hour check on the xpel product by the installer Autoshine.
Driving in the heavy rain on UK motorway this week experienced for the first time lack of visability through rear windscreen, airflow does not replace wiper!! Also rear camera view was distorted by water on lens. Any advice on good hydrophobic products to help disperse the water from rear screen.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
311 Posts
....Any advice on good hydrophobic products to help disperse the water from rear screen.
I can drop off my Rain-X at yours tomorrow if you like - looks like we've got a nice wet weekend to try it out :cool:
...and I forgot all about putting some on the camera lens

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds nice and simple and relative good value compared to coating.
Sounds nice and simple and relative good value compared to coating.
I have a Gravity Gold P45, I'm probably going for option 1 (XPPE
I would strongly recommend opting for XPEL Stealth self healing PPF (paint protection film) to the front and ceramic coating all over once installed, comprising of C1 to the remainder of the body work and 2 x coats of HALO for the PPF.

I will give you the breakdown of both options below ;

• XPEL Stealth (Satin/Matt) PPF & Gtechniq C1 to rest of vehicle - £1699 +VAT
  • Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer - £499 VAT

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD + Tech + Eco GG
157 Posts
I have a Gravity Gold P45, I'm probably going for option 1 (XPPE
I would strongly recommend opting for XPEL Stealth self healing PPF (paint protection film) to the front and ceramic coating all over once installed, comprising of C1 to the remainder of the body work and 2 x coats of HALO for the PPF.

I will give you the breakdown of both options below ;

• XPEL Stealth (Satin/Matt) PPF & Gtechniq C1 to rest of vehicle - £1699 +VAT
  • Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer - £499 VAT
£2.5k plus ongoing maintenance. Wow, that's about 5% of the cars value in keeping it clean.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73 Ultimate RWD in GG - Now rejected
105 Posts
'Maintaining' a Gravity Gold Matte car seems to be OK from our own experience of owning 'GG Matte' but has anyone yet had to repair a panel or get a scrape removed?

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
611 Posts
Seeing the Marky Mark Reviews video, I was afraid he damaged the paint because he uses a lot of water pressure and I don't know at what temperature.

That is what is advised by Hyundai:
Matte paint finish vehicle - WASHING
Automatic car wash which uses rotating brushes should not be used as this can damage the surface of your vehicle.
A steam cleaner that washes the vehicle surface at high temperature may result in the oil adhering and leave stains that are difficult to remove.
Use a soft cloth (e.g. microfiber towel or sponge) when washing your vehicle and dry with a microfiber towel. When you hand wash your vehicle, you should not use a cleaner that finishes with wax. If the vehicle surface is too dirty (sand, dirt, dust, contaminant, etc.), clean the surface with water before washing the car.
Matte paint finish vehicle - WAXING
Do not use any polish protector such as a detergent, an abrasive and a polish. In case wax is applied, remove the wax immediately using a silicon remover and if any tar or tar contaminant is on the surface use a tar remover to clean. However, be careful not to apply too much pressure on the painted area.
Matte paint finish vehicle - DAMAGE REPAIR
In the case of matte paint finish vehicles, it is impossible to modify only the damaged area and repair of the whole part is necessary. If the vehicle is damaged and painting is required, we recommend that you have your vehicle maintained and repaired by an HYUNDAI authorized repairer. Take extreme care, as it is difficult to restore the quality after the repair.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts