Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the thoughts on the intake valve carbon issue. I guess no one else thinks it's an issue, so I'll assume that preventive maintenance of the type I described isn't necessary, and that the DI problems described in earlier DI engines have been resolved. I just wish Hyundai would either say that such preventive maintenance is or isn't needed and put the issue to rest.
On another issue, I recently was gone for six weeks and maintained the battery by connecting the positive lead of the trickle charger on the small post with the red paint in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Worked well.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
There are numerous stupid things you can do to your car that the manufacturer will not warn you against, some that will cause harm and some that won't. Trickle charging your HEV is one of those that could harm it - and probably should be warned against in the manual. Not only are most trickle chargers not designed to charge lithium batteries, you run the risk of electronics damage, and you probably managed to overcharge your battery which will reduce its life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeh if you have the Ioniq Hybrid that has the 12 volt battery as part of the main traction battery, it's still a Li-po battery and they require very special chargers.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
BEVs are still mostly a compliance car. And they can be sold for higher prices in the CARB states because of state incentives. Lots? Most will go to places like Norway - limited supply because batteries are scarce. However, if you want one badly enough, you can get one. I have a neighbor here in Ohio that went to NY to get a Kona BEV. Might be the only one in the state. But some have bought cars out of state and had them delivered.
Hello all, first post though I’ve been looking on here for a while preparing to get my gently used 2019 Ioniq Electric. Plenty of questions answered and still many left unanswered.
I wanted to reply because I’m also in Ohio and my wife and I were looking at getting a Kona. We loved the look and range, but the price was a tough pill to swallow. Then I found my Ioniq for about 5k less than I was seeing anywhere else, and all I had to do was work out a month of online and over the phone diagnostics on how to buy a car in a different state when your local BMV’s and title offices are closed, and the mom and pop car dealership in Connecticut has never sold online before. :LOL:
We’re loving the Ioniq though and am enviable of anyone getting a premium Kona.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do they fit smaller doors to the US models?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Do they fit smaller doors to the US models?
Bizarre question. I can only guess it is related to ease of entry and exit. That is more related to seat height relative to the ground, and some cars, especially SUV types, just have seat heights that makes getting into and out of cars much easier. That's very appealing to older drivers, and fatter drivers (not just in the US). Such cars are perhaps more popular in the US than elsewhere because the cost of car ownership and fuel is lower than most countries, allowing more comfort based buying decisions.

I went from a PT Cruiser (actually a very small car) to the Niro without thinking about that issue (they have similar seat heights). I was more concerned with the ability to carry a bicycle inside and sleep. However recent experiences with other people's sedans certainly made that distinction clear. It appears that in the last 25 years, I've gotten older! It is hard to climb in and out of low slung cars.

The Kona has a very similar shape to the PT Cruiser. I had the pleasure of riding in one recently, and only because of this question do I now realize that its seat height also made it comfortable to get in and out. You just don't notice these things when you are habituated to them. Anyway, seat height is a huge driver of sales of such cars.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts