Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to say goodbye to my 2019 Ioniq Hybrid, after 9 months of trouble free motoring. Found a Kona EV in the trim and colour I wanted, and dealer has it in stock.
Reason for change. I'm doing low mileage and direct injection engines dilute the oil like crazy unless you get some long runs a few times a week.
Should take delivery sometime in May.

Getting old, and getting in and out of the Ioniq was fairly painful, crossover SUV is much easier on my ageing hips.

The Ioniq was my first ever black car, aka dirty again five minutes after washing it.

Hope you are all well, and staying safe.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with BlueCar1. No need to be a stranger. I for one, would be very interested in your comparison between the Kona and the IONIQ.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I will still be visiting this great forum. I've already had a friend loan me his Kona 63W Premium for a day. Costs him about 2.5 pence per mile charging with a 7Kw home charger.
First thing I noticed is the Kona interior fairly bland and plastics you wouldn't normally touch feel cheap, but hey, your getting a 300 mile range SUV for less than £36k after the government grant.
I couldn't resist trying the loud pedal in sport mode, the Kona is seriously quick. The big plus though is eco mode, as the regen can pump a load of charge back into the battery. It's also extremely comfortable, yet doesn't roll in corners. Shame the SE variant pushed the Kona over the £40K mark though, as you then end up with £385 road tax for 6 years.

So the car I am getting is the Kona 63Kw Premium in chalk white. 201 BHP 395Nm of torque. I looked at the Kia E-Nero as well, but I found the styling was just too bland. Insurance will be a fair bit dearer for the Kona though, group 26 (Ouch.)

So today I've been getting 7Kw home charger ordered, switched to EDF energy for their EV plan. Now I just have to wait, I might get the Kona as early as 11th May or 1st June at the latest.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My wife is already glancing in that direction. All being well nothing imminent but without knowing what else is coming on stream If I still like the brand and importantly the dealer then could well be going in that direction. (Dealer now OK after a shaky start, touch wood).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think Hyundai is missing the boat by limiting the sales of the EV's to only the east and west coast of the US. I would have bought a Kona last year but dealers in the Midwest US can not get them. I can not imagine any company turning away business. There are plenty of Kona's in the states of CA, and MD. So there is not a shortage! I can go on line and order a Tesla and they will deliver it to me - they do not care where I live. Those of you who live where you can purchase a Kona are fortunate.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
BEVs are still mostly a compliance car. And they can be sold for higher prices in the CARB states because of state incentives. Lots? Most will go to places like Norway - limited supply because batteries are scarce. However, if you want one badly enough, you can get one. I have a neighbor here in Ohio that went to NY to get a Kona BEV. Might be the only one in the state. But some have bought cars out of state and had them delivered.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I found the Kona in stock here in the UK, I was surprised to find about a dozen at various dealers. Here's the kicker, before the March budget, a Premium SE although BEV was classed as a luxury vehicle, so would have to pay £385 a year road tax as it cost more than £40,000

Dealers ordered a stack of Premium stock due to this. However, in the March 2020 budget our government moved the goal posts again. The Premium SE is now road tax free. Then the Covid-19 lockdown kicked in, so dealers have a fair stock of Kona BEV Premium models.

Hyundai are ramping up production by adding a second factory in the Czech republic, but battery supply from LG and SK is still the bottleneck.

My main reasons for going to the Kona BEV are as follows. I need a compact SUV so it's easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The Ioniq while 'brisk' doesn't tick the "I need to have a laugh once in a while." 0--60MPH in seven seconds with instant 395Nm of torque ticks that box."

Technical reasons
Lots of short trips, I was getting pretty bad oil dilution due to direct injection, and the EV side never really kicked in until the car was warmed up.
Ease of maintenance. I don't like direct injection unless the vehicle also has port injection to keep the inlet valves clean, but that's even more complexity.
BEV No ICE and all the tech that it requires to meet emissions. Cat, Lambda Sensors, MAF, Two fuel pups, Injectors, EGR, PCV
BEV single speed reduction gear gearbox, no clutch packs or shift solenoids and the electronics needed to control it.

With my current mileage, I will need to charge the Kona once every ten days from 20% to 80% SOC which works out at a third of the cost of the petrol required to cover the same miles. I opted for a charge anytime plan with fixed rate of 11 pence per Kwh for electricity, cheaper gas for central heating, so a dual fuel plan. Energy companies with EV cheap off peak rates just ramped up the normal Kwh rate.

So, all being well, I will have the Kona between May 11th and June the 1st. Depends when the dealer is allowed to open sales again due to Covid-19 restrictions. So all I have to do is wait, something I am not very good at.

·
Registered
519 Posts
When I found the Kona in stock here in the UK, I was surprised to find about a dozen at various dealers. Here's the kicker, before the March budget, a Premium SE although BEV was classed as a luxury vehicle, so would have to pay £385 a year road tax as it cost more than £40,000

Dealers ordered a stack of Premium stock due to this. However, in the March 2020 budget our government moved the goal posts again. The Premium SE is now road tax free. Then the Covid-19 lockdown kicked in, so dealers have a fair stock of Kona BEV Premium models.

Hyundai are ramping up production by adding a second factory in the Czech republic, but battery supply from LG and SK is still the bottleneck.

My main reasons for going to the Kona BEV are as follows. I need a compact SUV so it's easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The Ioniq while 'brisk' doesn't tick the "I need to have a laugh once in a while." 0--60MPH in seven seconds with instant 395Nm of torque ticks that box."

Technical reasons
Lots of short trips, I was getting pretty bad oil dilution due to direct injection, and the EV side never really kicked in until the car was warmed up.
Ease of maintenance. I don't like direct injection unless the vehicle also has port injection to keep the inlet valves clean, but that's even more complexity.
BEV No ICE and all the tech that it requires to meet emissions. Cat, Lambda Sensors, MAF, Two fuel pups, Injectors, EGR, PCV
BEV single speed reduction gear gearbox, no clutch packs or shift solenoids and the electronics needed to control it.

With my current mileage, I will need to charge the Kona once every ten days from 20% to 80% SOC which works out at a third of the cost of the petrol required to cover the same miles. I opted for a charge anytime plan with fixed rate of 11 pence per Kwh for electricity, cheaper gas for central heating, so a dual fuel plan. Energy companies with EV cheap off peak rates just ramped up the normal Kwh rate.

So, all being well, I will have the Kona between May 11th and June the 1st. Depends when the dealer is allowed to open sales again due to Covid-19 restrictions. So all I have to do is wait, something I am not very good at.
Looks like you have a good plan. Hope all works out. In the US, dealers will deliver new/used vehicles to you within a certain distance. In Arkansas, US dealers are still open, but with restrictions. They just do not have any EV's.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Some DI only cars including the Ioniq for reasons I’ve never seen explained, don’t have issues with inlet valves. I’m happy about that, it might have given me pause if I had known about that potential issue before purchasing my HEV. I did know about the NO2 issue with DI but decided (hoped) the lower CO2 emissions was a good offset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some DI only cars including the Ioniq for reasons I’ve never seen explained, don’t have issues with inlet valves. I’m happy about that, it might have given me pause if I had known about that potential issue before purchasing my HEV. I did know about the NO2 issue with DI but decided (hoped) the lower CO2 emissions was a good offset.
I own a 2019 Ioniq with 10,500 miles on it. I love it. However, knowing that my car has a direct injection engine, I have tried to get Hyundai to meaningfully comment on whether it would be advisable or acceptable or not acceptable for me to use a CRC product to clean my engine's intake valves. Hyundai deflects my question to my dealer, and my dealer

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 2019 Ioniq with 10,500 miles on it. I love it. However, knowing that my car has a direct injection engine, I have tried to get Hyundai to meaningfully comment on whether it would be advisable or acceptable or not acceptable for me to use a CRC product to clean my engine's intake valves. Hyundai deflects my question to my dealer, and my dealer
...and my dealer pleads ignorance. Does anyone have thoughts on whether carbon-build up on the Ioniq engine's intake valves is or will be a problem?

·
Registered
519 Posts
OK, I have followed this discussion and does anyone have any definitive data supporting the issues discussed for the Hyundai Ioniq engine. Personally, I have doubts about any "mechanic-in-a-can" additive.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
All we have is anecdotal evidence. Number one is there doesn't seem to be a history of intake valve problems reported with this engine. Number two is no maintenance recommendations from Hyundai/Kia. Number three is a number of folks on this forum and the Niro forum that have gone over 150K miles with zero engine issues.

That's about as good as it gets. Random comments from the internet, versus reading blurbs on sketchy bottles. Doubt such solutions would do any harm other than waste money and perhaps add to pollution, equally doubt they would do any good, and you would have no way of knowing if any good comes from using them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
All we have is anecdotal evidence. Number one is there doesn't seem to be a history of intake valve problems reported with this engine. Number two is no maintenance recommendations from Hyundai/Kia. Number three is a number of folks on this forum and the Niro forum that have gone over 150K miles with zero engine issues.

That's about as good as it gets. Random comments from the internet, versus reading blurbs on sketchy bottles. Doubt such solutions would do any harm other than waste money and perhaps add to pollution, equally doubt they would do any good, and you would have no way of knowing if any good comes from using them.
So why are folks wasting time talking about something they know little or nothing about!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DI and inlet valve clogging seems to affect some cars more than others (looking at you VW group.) I think the Atkinson cycle will help the Kappa engine to some degree. However, it will be mainly be down to how good the PCV works, and how good the oil separator is. The Kappa engine does run a very high EGR ratio though, so a fair bit of soot will get onto the back of the inlet valve. However, as long as there's not a lot of oil getting there, it should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 ioniq with 76000 miles, mostly chicago expressway miles at 60 mph. My trip is 32 miles each way. I average 71 mpg in the summer and 58-62 in the winter . So far no problems with anything on the car. I put 5 to 6 gallons a week in at a cost of $1.40(today's rate).
The car is hard to get in and out of, but that is the only negative.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts