Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 30,000 Km into driving the car I noticed that there was a loud scrapping noise when I would brake. I assumed it was something to do with my brakes. It would only make that sound when coming to a stop from higher speeds and not low speed braking in traffic.

I brought it into the dealership and after checking it they told me that it was an issue with the gearbox and it needed to be replaced. They told me it would cost about Rm 25, 000 (USD 6, 000) to replace, fortunately my car is still under warranty.

I'm now at 60,000 Km on my Ioniq (Hybrid 2019) and the gearbox is making the same noises. I've noticed that it would only make that noise when I'm braking and the car is downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear. I'm planning to bring it back to the dealership so that they can replace it again but I'm worried that once my warranty is over I'll have to pay a fortune every 30,000 km.

Anyone else face the same problem ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm at 23,000 miles (37,000Km) since new in February and no such noises here. Is your car being fully maintained at the required intervals for your country? If so, do these indicate any gearbox issues? Can you give a location and some context to your driving style and local climate so others around the world may be able to offer some insight?

·
Registered
77 Posts
1st issue is by brake, now is by gear? In sport mode? Dunno got 2nd or 3rd gear on my hybrid, as I practically never engage sport mode.
Recording the noise would help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my unit has clicking noises when transition from engine to EV in lower speed 20km/h normally during stop and go traffic, uphill slow traffic is the worst, switch to sports mode minimize it. Service center said it is normal behavior of electric motor.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium
69 Posts
My brakes sometimes make a crunchy sound when I come to a stop and when stopped with the brakes held they sometimes make grindy noises (the same sound you get when you lift off the pedal just as the brakes start to lose grip). However the car has done it since I got it a month ago and my old i30 did exactly the same thing so I just assume it's a Hyundai characteristic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you use the Auto Hold function and do the brakes grind if you do? I find this kind of noise common if I’m holding the car but not quite pressing hard enough on the pedal. Using Auto Hold stops this from happening.

As to making a crunchy noise when stopping, if I don’t modulate the pressure on the brake pedal and make the car stop abruptly enough to rock on it’s suspension, then it’s my own fault if I get noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts