Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAP covers the difference between cost of replacement and insurance valuation, if your car is written off. It's not at all clear if this is even necessary ... but if you think it is, make sure you get a few quotes, and don't be fooled by promo codes. My quotes have varied between £90 and well over £300. Don't buy from the car dealer!
I've just got mine from gapinsurance123. Cost £97 total for 15k gap cover for 3 years.
If someone cuts you up in Essex in a marina blue premium tomorrow ... it wasn't me!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
just make sure you compare like for like cover, both amount of cover and any exclusions

I have on more than one occasion got over a 50% discount off the dealer price for GAP, (dealer initial price 399, paid dealer less than 150), but just remember they need to make some money somewhere in the deal so you can't expect to beat them down to bare minimum on every part of the deal

it can help if you take a quote in with you, you may well be surprised the deal you can get

they are salesman after all and when faced with reduced margin or lose a sale they can be quite predictable but they will reach a point where they will say no

·
Registered
189 Posts
They offer this through my auto insurance company (American Family Auto Insurance) as part of my auto insurance policy which I do have on my Prius c. It doesn't cost much, just a few dollars per month, and I'll bet it's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting shafted by the dealer. Dealers at least in the U.S. definitely use the extras like this to make their profits especially since they usually make very little, if anything, from the sale of the vehicle itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts