Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe in Europe, and possibly England, regular gas has a 91 octane rating, as all cars sold are required to run on regular gasoline, so regular instead of 87 octane for regular in the U.S., its 91octane , so you can run high performance engines without damaging them.

NOTE: I do know in the United States in high elevations areas, 3,000 feet plus, octane can be as low as 85 at the pump. I once used a tank of 85 octane, it was the lowest price, in Reno Nevada in our 2010 Prius and noticed no difference at all in power as well as mpg's....

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yes, you can thank the unremitting use of marketing hyperbole for the confusion. `Premium` is just standard (90-95 octane), Super Unleaded is just premium (97 Octane or thereabouts) while premium fuels are generally branded: Shell V-Power, Millennium99, BP Ultimate, etc, that are generally (but not always) 99 Octane.

The only difference is the amount of Biofuel used - typical in Premium its Ethanol at between 5-10%, Super will be 5% or less and the branded fuels usually have other additives that impress chemists, but the car barely notices. Although the pub bore will usually tell you he's gained mahoosive amounts of HP from Brand X, he's actually talking shite, hen...

To correct a misapprehension, we don't have 87 Octane fuel in the UK anymore - it was phased out as `Two-Star` back in the late eighties.

Finally the Ioniq HEV and PHEV use an Atkinson cycle engine, so have absolutely no use for higher octanes.

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
the car barely notices. Although the pub bore will usually tell you he's gained mahoosive amounts of HP from Brand X, he's actually talking shite,
I thought that was baked bean can exhaust and the green cotton air filter smothered with oil messing up the air mass meter, which makes the car louder to attract the rozzers and burns more fuel :)

don't forget the extra 10hp for having the baseball cap on back to front as well >:) >:)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts