Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see attached

this is my chart in excel I use for tracking fuel economy

a number of people have asked how long does it take to reach its best economy, as you can see mine the blue line is the average over the last 5 fillups it is still improving at 17,600 miles

the trip and calculated lines are virtually identical so as you can see the trip computer is pretty much spot on

time for graph is from November last year to now so 8 months of data over 17,600 miles

I have included my xls sheet so you can see the raw data, remember this is in UK mpg, there are no macro's in the sheet just basic formula's

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,136 Posts
How much of that improvement is the car breaking in and how much is you getting better at driving it?

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say probably 50/50 although I would say probably now less me more the car as I have worked out how to drive it and it is still improving

some is also warmer summer weather as well, weather and tyre pressure seem to have a major influence on the economy figures as well

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
How much of that improvement is the car breaking in and how much is you getting better at driving it?
Well at 13,500 miles and six months, and I don't drive AT ALL like Bluecar (not my fuel money!) I am also seeing mpg still rising, so it's probably more about the car than the driver. Although you can possibly use my experience to gauge what the driver can bring to the party...

Started at 53mpg over the first couple of tankfuls, then switched to cumulative mpg and only reset it again after the 10K service, where right now it's at 66.1 mpg (UK) having climbed steadily throughout.

Frankly, as that is 16 mpg better than I get from my Skoda turbo-diesel it's more than adequate for a company car (especially as it's petrol, not diesel prices).

It's not scientific, but perhaps indicating there's also another 14-20 mpg from being an economical driver. So I'd say 70/30 to the car! :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well at 13,500 miles and six months, and I don't drive AT ALL like Bluecar (not my fuel money!) I am also seeing mpg still rising, so it's probably more about the car than the driver. Although you can possibly use my experience to gauge what the driver can bring to the party...

Started at 53mpg over the first couple of tankfuls, then switched to cumulative mpg and only reset it again after the 10K service, where right now it's at 66.1 mpg (UK) having climbed steadily throughout.

Frankly, as that is 16 mpg better than I get from my Skoda turbo-diesel it's more than adequate for a company car (especially as it's petrol, not diesel prices).

It's not scientific, but perhaps indicating there's also another 14-20 mpg from being an economical driver. So I'd say 70/30 to the car! :)
And of course the weather has improved over the time you have had it which helps....

I have to say I noticed a big drop in mpg last week driving in heavy rain along waterlogged motorways using all that precious energy to throw water in the air.

I guess I just watch my mpg more nowadays to while away the journe but it confirmed what I always thought......more so than I expected!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yep, as drag increases as a square of the speed the 0.24 drag co-efficient is at it's best in the 50-60 mph range, and drag increases significantly as you pass 70+, where the (absence of) power starts to make itself known. You will find the ICE working harder.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq SEL
76 Posts
What is the octane rating of the fuel you are using? Do you use any fuel additives? I am still on my second tank of fuel with 420 miles to go on it currently getting 63 mpg with 87 octane.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq SEL
76 Posts
Ioniq hybrid premium, just a light right foot and watching ahead to coast when I can
What psi are your tires filled to? I am running 41 psi cold and as i drive it increases to 44. Was getting 68.7 until my leadfooted wife made a trip to town, now it's at 65.5.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq SEL
76 Posts
I think I will reduce the pressure down to 38 cold and see how that works out. It should soften the ride a touch and perhaps get more miles out of the tires.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
There were a number of cars delivered where the dealer hadn't checked the pressures and came out at very high overpressure - a shipping trait perhaps.

As said, correct pressure is 36 psi, cold. I wouldn't run them higher than that, as they do seem to gain a lot when rolling.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There were a number of cars delivered where the dealer hadn't checked the pressures and came out at very high overpressure - a shipping trait perhaps.

As said, correct pressure is 36 psi, cold. I wouldn't run them higher than that, as they do seem to gain a lot when rolling.
I queried this with my dealer, when I checked mine after delivery they were reading 42psi with a digital gauge, confirmed by dashboard display, dealer took car into workshop
and rechecked pressures all OK, they read 36PSI cold 42PSI Warm, larger variation than I have experienced with previous cars

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I've noticed that too - although it's well within the margins you see on motorcycle tyres (smaller air volume).

I've also noticed that the tyres on mine seem to maintain that 36psi for a really long time without refilling - at least on mine. After 15,000 miles and 8 months I saw 35 psi on two for the first time last week. It's definitely a `not bust? don't fix it!` issue as I found it a little fiddly to get the hose on the valve stems and had to resort to my `screw-on` fitting pump rather than the 90 degree stem I usually use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What psi are your tires filled to? I am running 41 psi cold and as i drive it increases to 44. Was getting 68.7 until my leadfooted wife made a trip to town, now it's at 65.5.

I had the same problem after my wife drove mine. To be fair I find driving this requires some habits that are not apparent when driving a normal car. I coast a lot more than I used to as I like to try and charge the battery. I also like to try and see how far I can get on EV mode. My wife just drives and doesn't think about these things so I expected lower figures post her driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts