Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

421 - 440 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Always wondered how you Brits function with such mixed units... You buy your fuel in litres, yet calculate your economy in imperial gallons and track speed and distance in miles.
Probably just a historical quirk. Around here, most distances are measured in meters, however people's height is usually expressed in feet and inches. Even weirder is when talking about air temperature, we always use Celsius, yet water temperature is often talked about in Fahrenheit. I've often heard people say things like ''It's a good day for a swim. It's 25 degrees out and the pool's at 81"!

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,860 Posts
Probably just a historical quirk. Around here, most distances are measured in meters, however people's height is usually expressed in feet and inches. Even weirder is when talking about air temperature, we always use Celsius, yet water temperature is often talked about in Fahrenheit. I've often heard people say things like ''It's a good day for a swim. It's 25 degrees out and the pool's at 81"!
How true indeed. Most of our construction industry is indeed still on imperial/US measurements as well, as are one's height and weight, usually. But certainly in the grocery store, nearly everything is grams, kilograms, litres and millilitres, although fresh produce is still often measured in pounds.

I'd say Canada's about 80% converted to metric.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The next thing we'll be doing in the UK, given the utter incompetence of this government, is to switch from driving-on-the-left to driving on the right.

Gradually.... >:)

Reactions: ajiom

·
Registered
90 Posts
The next thing we'll be doing in the UK, given the utter incompetence of this government, is to switch from driving-on-the-left to driving on the right.

Gradually.... >:)
That's funny. Imagine how that would go..."Starting at 1:00 every Sunday morning until 6:00 drivers should drive on the right of the road. Street signs will be installed on a rotating axis. Local police will be responsible for switching the signs at the proper time." Imagine the chaos.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I was in school, we were told, "the entire world uses the metric system. The United States is the only country that is still in the dark ages using the English system."

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks bluecar. You know my journey. This is the first 'new car' I have ever had ( and probably the last)as I thought that i should get a new car at least once in my life.

Fourth visit to the dealer tomorrow. :-( in under 4 weeks

The car is not even a year old and has done only 1460 miles..

PS : Dealer says that warranty has been registered with hyundai around 2 weeks before i got the car??

I had a look at the hyundai website and the warranty should be from first registration !!!
My only concern would be that with a slightly used car you don't get the lifetime warranty on the battery - which was a BIG selling point to me as with my mileage (25,000 miles a year minimum) in 10 years I'll be at 250k miles and would expect I'd need a new battery

Factoring at least half the potential cost of a new battery should be an easy compromise, but that can cost you $3000k for a new battery - so they have to make it worth your while to buy used

(BTW - I got a new leftover 2017 Blue in 4/18 - and even then they had just dropped the 0% financing over 60 months and bought new for $18,300 - which reflected a $500 trade in and a little more off my original haggle as the 4% interest ads up over 5 years - so they can come WAY down off the MSRP of $23,300)

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI - at 3300 miles and "learning" how to trigger EV mode when cruising on nearly flat road, I'm now showing an average MPG of 63.0

This reflects about 1/3rd of a tank of gas being used - which was filled to the brim and I'm currently showing what projects to be a 680 mile range out of the full tank. (As a former 2000 Jetta Diesel driver where I was happy to be getting 50mpg and a total range of 600 miles on the bigger tank, color me quite impressed - especially since regular gas is much cheaper than diesel)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
That's funny. Imagine how that would go..."Starting at 1:00 every Sunday morning until 6:00 drivers should drive on the right of the road. Street signs will be installed on a rotating axis. Local police will be responsible for switching the signs at the proper time." Imagine the chaos.
I don't have to imagine, I've driven in Delhi...:eek:

Reactions: ajiom and BDG

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,860 Posts
FYI - at 3300 miles and "learning" how to trigger EV mode when cruising on nearly flat road, I'm now showing an average MPG of 63.0

This reflects about 1/3rd of a tank of gas being used - which was filled to the brim and I'm currently showing what projects to be a 680 mile range out of the full tank. (As a former 2000 Jetta Diesel driver where I was happy to be getting 50mpg and a total range of 600 miles on the bigger tank, color me quite impressed - especially since regular gas is much cheaper than diesel)
Hi @JoeSixPack. Could you please add your location to your profile so we know whether you're talking US MPG or UK MPG? There's also a lot of minute differences from country to country and as this is an international forum, it helps to know where you're from. Thanks.

Reactions: chui

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I first purchased I was getting around 55 UK MPG, once I'd adapted and learnt how it uses EV/ICE I could consistently average 62 UK MPG. When the weather is around or below 0C it drops considerably obviously, with the ICE staying on around town and particulary at the start of journeys to warm up the battery I assume, my worst ever was something like 40 UK MPG.

Since my 2 year service I've managed 74 UK MPG on this tank of fuel without trying particularly hard, not sure if it will stay that high but certainly hasn't been hard to keep it there, I reckon my proper average will be something like 67MPG for an average tank now which is far better than I hoped for. Hot weather in the UK has helped too. I bought this car on the assumption it would do 55.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I drive it like its stolen, mixture of town and motorway driving.. 90mph + on some stretches and still get 56-60mpg.. I've had it higher, like when I first got it, was driving sensibly.. for about a week.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've read a few comments on this forum saying that is is preferable (to improve fuel economy) to use Sport mode going up hills. It's not clear to me why that is. I drove the car today on the highway at about 100 km/hr. In Eco mode, the car runs in hybrid mode (ICE running) when going up hills. If I switch to Sport to go up the hill, the car is still in hybrid mode. I notice Sport mode drops the DCT from 6th to 5th and the rpms increase accordingly. How does that save fuel ? Can someone please explain ? Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You may need less fuel to sustain momentum in a lower gear up a slope because you are not pressing the gas pedal as hard. I use the indicator on the left of the speedo to see how many green bars are in use.Oftrn times the bars used decrease by one or two when in sport mode going uphill relative to what was indicated in Eco mode.It will not necessarily dripvacgear either.The revs are ususlly in the 2-3000 rpm range.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Unfortunately the power gauge on the left hand-side of the instruments panel does not have a graduated scale, and that can be misleading. I wish there would be a graduation in kW. It appears that the power per bar is higher in sport mode than in eco mode. That is to say, three green bars in sport mode seem to represent a higher power expanse than three green bars in eco mode.

It's difficult to know for sure without graduated scale. But if indeed there is a different scale in each mode, then comparing the number of bars between sport and eco mode is meaningless.

In my experience sport mode doesn't change fuel economy that much. It makes the car noisier though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The other way to check eco versus sport mode is to use the instantaneous mpg readout selectable to the right of the speedo.

421 - 440 of 466 Posts