Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

about 700km away now, not filled her up for the second time yet.
According to the computer I scored 20.9 km/l (=59mpg-UK or 49.1mpg-US) so far. That is combined driving for short distances (<20km) and a few longer distances (4 x 130km).
Speed at highways: 110km/h (68mph) on Cruise Control where 100km/h is allowed, 125km/h (78mph) CC where 120 is allowed and 135km/h (84mph) on CC where 130km/h is allowed.
I find this score really good, but have to check if the computer is accurate at the next tank-fill. So, i'm not much of an eco driver as bluecar1 is, but I'm satified at the moment. The only thing I do to 'eco-drive' is anticipate on lifting the throttle or disengage the CC early and do light regenerative braking to harvest some electric energy to the battery. Also on local roads (max 50,70 or 80km/h) I play with the throttle to go electric as much as possible.

Specifications say the car can drive in EV mode up to speeds of 120km/h, but even at speeds of 135km/h (on speedometer is about 128km/h in real) I have seen the EV light come on for 20-30seconds or so every now and then.

:)So glad I bought this car, really love it so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
You are already becoming an eco-driver!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additional info: IONIQ-Hybrid with 15" wheels and winter-tyres, Outer temp ca. 8-10 deg celcius, heating on (19 deg celcius), driver-only.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
best i have seen is 72mpg UK

620 miles out of a tank (into red 8 miles range remaining :-O ) only got just over 40 litres in, so it seems to keep a fair bit of a reserve in the tank

the manual says it is bad to run out of petrol, i assume as the start is run off the HV battery it will drain that at which point you will not be happy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
best i have seen is 72mpg UK
Mr. bluecar1, you are real hyper-miler, I think.
What speeds did you drive? I hope you've not been driving 50mph, 3 yards behind a lorry to achieve this ;)
Do you have any tricks or tips we can adopt?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I'm getting the same return as you mxhans ,about 59 mpg . I rarely let my tank go below half full . If I did maybe it would ? I'll settle for 59 mpg bearing in mind I live in Wales , very pleased with it in fact...better than my last diesel

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
60-65mph long runs (my office is 195 miles / 300km from home :( )

I tend to drive up on a Tuesday and back on a Thursday, unless like this week I am working in London so about 80 mile each way

I am finding not using cruise is better, you right foot is smoother than cruise / regen braking

under 60mph I tend to find it keeps changing down to 5th to often, so better to drive at 62-65mph

keep out of sport mode helps mpg, but you don't grin as much (sport is fun at times)

that 72mpg was over a full tank, one trip back last week I filled up west London, and say 78mpg on trip computer after 85 miles

still trying to break the 80mpg, won't be long

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm getting the same return as you mxhans ,about 59 mpg . I rarely let my tank go below half full . If I did maybe it would ? I'll settle for 59 mpg bearing in mind I live in Wales , very pleased with it in fact...better than my last diesel
That's a good habit to keep up since it prevents you from damaging the fuel pump. Too many people let it run well past the fuel light which done repeatedly can result in a bad fuel pump much earlier than the average owner.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
That's a good habit to keep up since it prevents you from damaging the fuel pump. Too many people let it run well past the fuel light which done repeatedly can result in a bad fuel pump much earlier than the average owner.
It's not just that ....ran out of fuel too many times in my younger days and too old to tramp miles with a petrol can these days :laugh:

·
Registered
103 Posts
under 60mph I tend to find it keeps changing down to 5th to often, so better to drive at 62-65mph
keep out of sport mode helps mpg, but you don't grin as much (sport is fun at times)
Have you tried the sport mode to "persuade" your car to stay in 6th below 60mph?
And may get the missing oooompf from the electric motor?
Or does your gearbox say "I know it better" and shifts down to fifth on its own even in sport mode? What kind of rpms are we talking about at 60mph in 6th?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
6th at 60mph is about 1700rpm, 5th is just over the 2000rpm

sport mode don't seem to drop into EV mode as easily or as often, but I have found on some hills if I drop into sport then drop it into 5th it don't then drop down into 4th as it does in eco mode

·
Registered
260 Posts
The guys at cleanmpg.com that recently drove the Niro from LA to NYC, and averaged 76+mpg (US), used a hypermile technique called DWL (driving with load). The idea is to keep the engine under constant steady load when going uphill by using the iFCD or scanguage, then glide, engine off, on the downhill side. Both drivers commented that the Niro glides superbly. This is a highway technique.

Around town, pulse and glide is very effective. The idea behind p&g is that the engine is not efficient running at constant light load, so instead accelerate up to the speed limit and glide, engine off, back down. The pulse puts a higher load on the engine by accelerating which makes it operate in a more efficient region. Then let inertia and/or electric motor operation only carry you till the next pulse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
the real thing

My first real fuel-economy rating at the gas station.
I filled her up today. At 70km range left, the car told me to go to get some gas, so I did. I can say the fuel-economy computer is very accurate. I drove 813.7km and the fill-up was 39.26liters. So that is 20.7km/l and that is exactly what the computer showed!

20.7 km/l = 58.5mpg-UK = 48.7mpg-US
winter-tyres, temp 0-10 deg celcius.

As stated at the topic start, I did not drive real slowly or do any hyper-miling, so I find this very good!
This car makes me happier every day!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow that is very good!
Would be interesting to see what you get if you do a 'Careful' tank...but driving carefully for 813km would be very boring...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With careful driving, more than a 1000km must be possible at one tank-fill. I'm not that patient. At highways, I cannot stay in the slow lane and driving not faster than 90 km/h for very long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr. Bleucar1, does your car's computer agree with calculations you make on fuelly? Is the MPG on your dash about the same figure as the real miles divided by the real gallons you put in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the trip computer on the dash is within +0.5 - +1.5%

so not bad, my i20 was +4% ad the wifes i10 used to be +6-7%

so the Ioniq is pretty close, last 7 fillups the % difference between trip and calculated mpg was

0.63 0.10 1.45 1.31 1.25 0.83 1.56

·
Registered
66 Posts
For anyone interested:

I've found a link to a forum where the guy that set the Kia Niro MPG record frequents.
He gives tips about how to drive the most economically in the Kia Niro.
I am guessing there would be a lot of similarities with the Ioniq.

2017 Kia Niro CUV Sets GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS Title for Lowest Fuel Consumption for a Hybrid Vehicle | CleanMPG

I'm only on page one, but so far it basically says that if you can stick to the first quarter of the green area that is where the real gains are made. I'm sure someone may summarise all the tips in a new thread in this section when they get time (as a sort of "idiots guide" thing!)

Reactions: Fracino

·
Registered
384 Posts
The CleamMPG guys with the Niro hypermiling record show a picture of the "driving style" display which shows that 100% of their is in "economical" style as opposed to "normal" style.
With the Ioniq I find it impossible to keep "economical" style at rural roadway speed, e.g. 45-55mph. Not to mention highway speed. Even if I am gliding in EV mode at 50mph, the Ioniq displays "normal" driving style.
So I am really wondering how the CleamMPG guys managed a transcontinental journey in "economical" style.

1 - 20 of 466 Posts