Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
I don't get why folks are giving examples of kids getting locked in (rear) trunks for the front trunk scenario. The two scenarios are totally way different. The rear trunk only has one cover, so if he rear trunk cover somehow goes down and a kid or adult for that matter, gets trapped, I understand. But we are talking about a front trunk that regardless of brand or model isn't as big as a rear trunk and the most important part is if a kid managed to get into the frunk and lock them selves in, the actual hood would still be wide open. It's impossible to do both. If I see my hood open, it would leave me to think either someone managed to break in to steal or do damage, not that a small kid tried the impossible. Seeing the size of the frunks, it will have to be a baby (size) or less than 4 year old kid. Instead of revising the laws for frunks, they apply the rear trunk laws and call it a day. It doesn't make sense.
Mind you, I couldn't care less if the Ioniq 5 or any car has a frunk, I still find them too small anyway for any major storage, I am just commenting on how stupid the law is as applied to frunks.

· Registered
207 Posts
I like having a frunk because it gives me somewhere that I can get at emergency stuff without unloading the back. For example, the footpump, warning triangle, and granny charger. On my previous car I kept the footpump under the floor of the boot (trunk) and it was a pain to get at if I had a slow puncture.

· Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, waiting for Ioniq 5
819 Posts
twospirits, it does not matter where the confined space is. The following applies. And yes a 3 year old child dummy is used for the test.
Why the US only gets a small FRUNK
In 2002, the US implemented 49 CFR § 571Microsoft Start: News & more - Apps on Google Play.401 - Standard No. 401; Interior trunk release requirement to keep children and adults from being locked in a trunk from which they cannot escape. Specifically if the trunk “Is large enough so that the three-year-old child dummy described in Subpart C of Part 572 can be placed inside the trunk compartment, and the trunk lid can be closed and latched” there must be a method “for providing a trunk release mechanism that makes it possible for a person trapped inside the trunk compartment of a passenger car to escape from the compartment.

This requirement resulted in Ford having to place dividers in the Mach E Frunk to reduce the size. They are now adding a release so the dividers will be removed in the future.

· Registered
Digital Teal SE RWD Long Range
207 Posts
Sure Ford installed these from the factory but people are removing them after delivery. Just like most of us intend to do if we can source a bigger frunk in the future and make that modification.

· Registered
Digital Teal SE RWD Long Range
207 Posts
found this on Facebook, the person mentioned its $2800 CAD + shipping
View attachment 38955
So it looks like we can get this now for a better price in NA but still hard to swallow.

another thread had a Korean site called Gmarket and they are selling it for much less but won’t ship to the USA. I personally can’t get myself to pay over $600 for this and will be patiently waiting for the right opportunity.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5, Long Range RWD, 77.4 kWH, Phantom Black, Born on DEC 2021
461 Posts
So it looks like we can get this now for a better price in NA but still hard to swallow.

another thread had a Korean site called Gmarket and they are selling it for much less but won’t ship to the USA. I personally can’t get myself to pay over $600 for this and will be patiently waiting for the right opportunity.
I believe part number
86710-GI000 is the larger one which would be more than the tray version link.

· Registered
3 Posts
found this on Facebook, the person mentioned its $2800 CAD + shipping
View attachment 38955
That was me. I found it for $575USD in a dealer in the states but they absolutely want the car vin to order the part, which tells me they will block the sale if the part was not initially meant for your market.

I decided to abandon this idea and will fab my own fiberglass tub.

· Registered
3 Posts
I believe part number
86710-GI000 is the larger one which would be more than the tray version link.
Correct. Be carefull because the *100 model is the small AWD frunklet.

You absolutely need to use the proper part and confirm the engine code in bold:

RWD 160kW: (ZH) Model 8701A1
AWD (YC) 230KW (FR 70KW RR 160KW) Model 8701A2

Frunk Engine Code ZH RWD
Name TRUNK_ASSY-FR NO.1
PNC 87710C
Part Number 86710-GI000

Frunk Engine Code YC AWD
Name TRUNK_ASSY-FR NO.1
PNC 87710C
Part Number 86710-GI100

So you REALLY want the 86710-GI000. Not the *100 part.

· Registered
345 Posts
That was me. I found it for $575USD in a dealer in the states but they absolutely want the car vin to order the part, which tells me they will block the sale if the part was not initially meant for your market.

I decided to abandon this idea and will fab my own fiberglass tub.
It could be they just need confirmation it’s not an awd car and will fit. Someone on these boards in the US received a rwd with the bigger frunk.

· Registered
30 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows what the space looks like after the mini-frunk is removed? It’d be great to have the full size frunk. But at the very least, I’d like to find a way to store a regular size evse up there for use at camp grounds etc.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
463 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows what the space looks like after the mini-frunk is removed? It’d be great to have the full size frunk. But at the very least, I’d like to find a way to store a regular size evse up there for use at camp grounds etc.
I have an AWD and had to remove the frunk because I lost the cap to the washer fluid bottle. You can imagine the space without the front motor.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Eventually found the cap behind the front vents when they went up after I started the car.

· Registered
345 Posts
There’s a portion of the frunk that clips in. You can pop it out and see the space beneath.

· Registered
30 Posts
There’s a portion of the frunk that clips in. You can pop it out and see the space beneath.
Thanks, getting the car in mid-april and plan on doing plenty of road tripping ytoo. Don’t want to have to stop just because there are no more DCFC on our route :)
Having ready access to my 40 amp EVSE should help (that and a comfy B mattress in the back)

also:

· Registered
30 Posts
I have an AWD and had to remove the frunk because I lost the cap to the washer fluid bottle. You can imagine the space without the front motor. View attachment 40735

Eventually found the cap behind the front vents when they went up after I started the car.
Thanks SpoonFC, it looks like there is tons of space once the inverter and motor are removed (i also suspect you are trying to invite folks to something …
men beklager fordi jeg forstår lite norsk)
Ha det bra!

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited
323 Posts
The AWD frunk is large enough for me to store a set of tire socks, a 120v/240v portable charger with adaptors for the 14-50 and TT-30 outlets likely to be found in US campgrounds for “partial hookup” (electrical and water only) spaces, and some windshield cleaning supplies. I actually have a tiny little bit of space left over with all that up front.

The portable EVSE I picked only supplies 16 amps at 240 volts (the car claims 3.6 kW or about 5% per hour) but that is more than enough to take the battery to 80% from the time I park in a campground in late afternoon until I am ready to leave the next morning. And if it is a typical camping weekend for me, the car is likely to be parked from Friday evening until Sunday midday, way more time than that charger needs to totally fill the battery. I picked up this particular charger after our first Ioniq 5 camping trip where the 120v 12 amp level 1 charger that came with the car proved to be marginal in providing enough charge to get from the campground to the nearest DC fast charger.

· Registered
30 Posts
The AWD frunk is large enough for me to store a set of tire socks, a 120v/240v portable charger with adaptors for the 14-50 and TT-30 outlets likely to be found in US campgrounds for “partial hookup” (electrical and water only) spaces, and some windshield cleaning supplies. I actually have a tiny little bit of space left over with all that up front.

The portable EVSE I picked only supplies 16 amps at 240 volts (the car claims 3.6 kW or about 5% per hour) but that is more than enough to take the battery to 80% from the time I park in a campground in late afternoon until I am ready to leave the next morning. And if it is a typical camping weekend for me, the car is likely to be parked from Friday evening until Sunday midday, way more time than that charger needs to totally fill the battery. I picked up this particular charger after our first Ioniq 5 camping trip where the 120v 12 amp level 1 charger that came with the car proved to be marginal in providing enough charge to get from the campground to the nearest DC fast charger.
Thanks, that’s all good news and something i will keep in mind. I have a small 240v EVSE i use for a chevy Volt but I’d still like to carry a full strength ( or at least 40amp) charger. On months long road trips like we tend to do when we leave town, it’ll be nice to put all we can under the hood. I know they make smaller, travel size evse but, i feel I’ve already bought enough of these things for now.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts