Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Absolutely. But, the issue is that hyundai didn’t want the cost of installing a release. As long as i add a release, it’s perfectly legal. I don’t mind paying for the import and a release 👍🏽
Might be a little tricky for a front trunk.

“ For passenger cars with a front trunk compartment that has a front opening trunk lid required to have a secondary latching position or latch system, actuation of the release mechanism required by paragraph S4.1 of this TSD standard must result in the following:
(i) Whenthepassengercarisstationary,thereleasemechanismmustreleasethe trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;
(ii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed less than 5 km/h, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, and may release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;
(iii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h or greater, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, but must not release the trunk lid from the secondary latching position or latch system.”

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also, in the IONIQ 5 case, both the frunk plastic lid and the hood will need to have internal release handles, though the plastic lid could potentially just be removed.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Another UK perspective, is that over here fitting a modification that meets the legislation won't necessarily make the car road legal, because the car will need to have been type-approved with this modification. In other words, you can retrofit an option that was available at least on some of the trim levels for the car model (because the car would have been type-approved in the UK with these options), but you can't fit an option that was never available on the car in the UK, even if technically the retrofitted option meets the legal criteria.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Might be a little tricky for a front trunk.

“ For passenger cars with a front trunk compartment that has a front opening trunk lid required to have a secondary latching position or latch system, actuation of the release mechanism required by paragraph S4.1 of this TSD standard must result in the following:
(i) Whenthepassengercarisstationary,thereleasemechanismmustreleasethe trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;
(ii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed less than 5 km/h, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, and may release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;
(iii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h or greater, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, but must not release the trunk lid from the secondary latching position or latch system.”
Yikes in English please 😬😆 is this for Canada?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I’m also interested, something that was brought up though the Canadian RWD has a heat pump and it might take some space under the frunk.
before ordering the part I suggest to compare it with a European version just to be safe.
Good thinking!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Maybe you could work around the law about having an interior release by fixing a divider inside the RWD-size frunk, so that a child wouldn't fit in it?

My RWD car has the heat pump and still has the larger frunk. I can measure it if you need the dimensions.
That’s great to know that the larger frunk still fits with a heat pump. Thanks! And good idea about the divider. Now...to find the frunk!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no part number or link for me anyone?
You're right ... many Karens, no parts number yet. Nobdy asked for legal advices, only for a part number and/or a link to order ... If somebody that have an RWD Ioniq5, with the BIG FRUNK, can you just try to find the part number on it, picture it and post it here ... criminals will do their thing, Karens will continue to to their best. Thank you !

41 - 48 of 48 Posts