Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Setting aside the concerns that have been raised that the car might not be legally roadworthy in Canada with the modified frunk (and I don't actually know the answer to this, BTW), just to say that here in the UK this also has the potential of causing an issue with the car's insurance cover. We (in the UK) are obliged to report to the insurer and declare any deviation from the spec that the car was supplied with when new. The insurer then either adds a note to the policy (typically for cosmetic modifications), or provides a quote for the premium increase resulting from the declared modification (typically modifications that enhance the car's performance carry an increase in premium). The issue for UK drivers is that it is not possible to declare to the insurer any modification that isn't road-legal. This gives the insurer a 'get-out-of-jail' card in the event that a claim has been, made against the policy and their inspector detects an undeclared modification, because they can void the policy due to breach of terms, even if the claim itself has nothing to do with the undeclared modification. That said, this may not be an issue for drivers outside of the UK, and I am aware that over here we like to make things difficult with complicated rules and regulations.... and thanks goodness our RWD cars have the deep frunk anyway (y)

·
Registered
MY22 Balance Vision RWD Cyber Gray
58 Posts
Yes, it is frowned upon. It's straight up illegal to drive a car in the US or Canada with the modification you're planning. 49 CFR § 571.401 - Standard No. 401; Interior trunk release.

If you're in an accident, your insurance company will have the right to declare your coverage null & void.
But - we’re talking about a frunk here - something that, in the size found in EVs, I don’t think was even thought about when that legislation was passed. For cars with actual trunk-ish front storage, fair enough.

But I have a hard time imagining that a 3-year old child would be able to unlock the hood from inside a car, pop it, climb into the frunk and accidentally close and lock the hood which has two hydraulic dampers.

But that’s perhaps just my european outlook on things 🤷

·
Registered
162 Posts
Setting aside the concerns that have been raised that the car might not be legally roadworthy in Canada with the modified frunk (and I don't actually know the answer to this, BTW), just to say that here in the UK this also has the potential of causing an issue with the car's insurance cover. We (in the UK) are obliged to report to the insurer and declare any deviation from the spec that the car was supplied with when new. The insurer then either adds a note to the policy (typically for cosmetic modifications), or provides a quote for the premium increase resulting from the declared modification (typically modifications that enhance the car's performance carry an increase in premium). The issue for UK drivers is that it is not possible to declare to the insurer any modification that isn't road-legal. This gives the insurer a 'get-out-of-jail' card in the event that a claim has been, made against the policy and their inspector detects an undeclared modification, because they can void the policy due to breach of terms, even if the claim itself has nothing to do with the undeclared modification. That said, this may not be an issue for drivers outside of the UK, and I am aware that over here we like to make things difficult with complicated rules and regulations.... and thanks goodness our RWD cars have the deep frunk anyway (y)
Yeah, its not nearly that draconian here in North America. Nobody other than the Karens or social justice warriors care here.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Digital Teal Green
553 Posts
But - we’re talking about a frunk here - something that, in the size found in EVs, I don’t think was even thought about when that legislation was passed. For cars with actual trunk-ish front storage, fair enough.

But I have a hard time imagining that a 3-year old child would be able to unlock the hood from inside a car, pop it, climb into the frunk and accidentally close and lock the hood which has two hydraulic dampers.

But that’s perhaps just my european outlook on things 🤷

Relatives drove around their neighborhood for up to an hour searching for four young cousins before discovering they were locked in the trunk of the car, suffocating and dying from the heat.

Two boys, ages 3 and 4, and a 2-year-old girl were pronounced dead Monday night after being pulled from the trunk. A 6-year-old girl died Tuesday afternoon of heat stroke.

Police were treating the case as a tragic accident.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Digital Teal Green
553 Posts
Most kids being put in trunks come from sicko parents putting them there. At least this is what I’m seeing from the news reports I’ve read.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Relatives drove around their neighborhood for up to an hour searching for four young cousins before discovering they were locked in the trunk of the car, suffocating and dying from the heat.

Two boys, ages 3 and 4, and a 2-year-old girl were pronounced dead Monday night after being pulled from the trunk. A 6-year-old girl died Tuesday afternoon of heat stroke.

Sad, but I have to point out this story is 24 years old, makes reference to a passenger vehicle trunk and you would be hard pressed to get a single average 2 year old in a 50 liter frunk without some considerable effort. Even if you did I have my doubts that the presence of a release would be helpful.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Internal release handles are great, but they are not a substitute to watching your kids and making sure there are no hazards in their surroundings. Small kids won't know how to operate the internal trunk release handle anyway. A few years ago I drove a friend and his family (wife and two small kids) in my car, when we arrived at our destination I went with the friend to sort-out some things nearby while his wife stayed and waited with the kids in my parked car. I left the car keys with her. When we came back, about an hour later, the two kids were locked inside the car, and the mother was outside the car frantically trying to get in. Apparently, she got out of the car to stretch her legs, leaving the keys inside, when one of the kids pressed the door lock button on the driver's side and locked the car from the inside. Luckily one of side windows was cracked open, so they had fresh air, and it wasn't a particularly hot day. She tried desperately to get the kids to pull the door handle, which would have unlocked the car, or pass her the keys, but they were too small to understand. When i got back and saw this, I was ready to break one of the side windows, but luckily a passer-by managed to pull up the door lock button with a flexible metal bar inserted through the crack in the windows. So, again, internal release handles are not a substitute to hazard awareness.

·
Registered
MY22 Balance Vision RWD Cyber Gray
58 Posts

I totally get it when it's a regular TRUNK. But not when it's a frunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow all this bull sh[t about laws, killing people and the Popo finding out you have a secret frank American model. You people have way to much time on your hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've heard this will render your vehicle not street legal in Canada as the larger frunk is deemed large enough to require an internal escape release button, which is not present.
Yes i know that. I’ll have to install a release as well to make it legal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So you’d rather flout the road safety laws in your country by paying to import a part that isn’t legal on your roads for a few extra litres of storage space?

I do hope not.
Absolutely. But, the issue is that hyundai didn’t want the cost of installing a release. As long as i add a release, it’s perfectly legal. I don’t mind paying for the import and a release 👍🏽

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The search continues and we will find it eventually!
👌 whoever finds it, please post here. We should do a bulk order from UK if it doesn’t become available here. 😁 Someone suggested getting it 3D printed... I’ll look into that if one doesn’t turn up soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m also interested, something that was brought up though the Canadian RWD has a heat pump and it might take some space under the frunk.
before ordering the part I suggest to compare it with a European version just to be safe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe you could work around the law about having an interior release by fixing a divider inside the RWD-size frunk, so that a child wouldn't fit in it?

My RWD car has the heat pump and still has the larger frunk. I can measure it if you need the dimensions.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
706 Posts
Maybe you could work around the law about having an interior release by fixing a divider inside the RWD-size frunk, so that a child wouldn't fit in it?

My RWD car has the heat pump and still has the larger frunk. I can measure it if you need the dimensions.
This is what Ford did for the Mach E. Note the dividers. Later the owner could remove them. I understand Ford is adding an inside latch release and will remove the dividers sometime is 2022.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts