Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Is anyone aware whether the frunk is available to order as a replacement part? I need the RWD sized frunk.

The RWD sized frunk is not available in Canada so i won’t be able to order though my dealer. And I’ll need it shipped to Canada.

Please include a part number and/or link if you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
MY22 Balance Vision RWD Cyber Gray
58 Posts
You're aware that you can't put the RWD frunk in an AWD model, right? Just want to make sure you realize that before you order anything.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Preferred Long-Range (77kW) RWD
32 Posts
I've heard this will render your vehicle not street legal in Canada as the larger frunk is deemed large enough to require an internal escape release button, which is not present.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So in Canada Hyundai are supplying RWD cars with the smaller AWD frunk....? Interesting.
Confirmed. I've seen it in person, have seen it in youtube reviews of RWD models, and have heard nothing to the contrary (i.e. it wasn't an error on one car). They would have needed to add an ability to open it from the inside.

I believe the US may also have the same small frunk in all RWD models.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Digital Teal Green
553 Posts
Confirmed. I've seen it in person, have seen it in youtube reviews of RWD models, and have heard nothing to the contrary (i.e. it wasn't an error on one car). They would have needed to add an ability to open it from the inside.

I believe the US may also have the same small frunk in all RWD models.
We do. Hyundai didn’t want to put a release inside tho hood in case a child found themselves trapped inside.

·
Registered
Digital Teal SE RWD Long Range
41 Posts
The second we can find this retrofit to order for our RWD’s in North America I’m doing it.
Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Trunk

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
149 Posts
This is an actual concern?!
Yes. Children have some pretty astounding physical capabilities, but virtually no judgement. (Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the only reason a bigger frunk with no release is not an issue with adults is their physical size....)

Think of this from the perspective of the product development engineer designing products for consumer use. (Like me.) I consider myself fortunate to have retired from a career in which I killed or harmed not one single person as far as I'm aware.

I had a colleague who was not so fortunate. It took quite a toll.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5, Ultimate, Galactic Grey
73 Posts
Yes. Children have some pretty astounding physical capabilities, but virtually no judgement. (Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the only reason a bigger frunk with no release is not an issue with adults is their physical size....)

Think of this from the perspective of the product development engineer designing products for consumer use. (Like me.) I consider myself fortunate to have retired from a career in which I killed or harmed not one single person as far as I'm aware.

I had a colleague who was not so fortunate. It took quite a toll.
People with no experience of product design usually don't understand why some safety features have to be incorporated. They may think they are savvy enough not to lock themselves in somewhere, but many people are not. I feel sympathy for your colleague - it must be horrendous to know that your work led to a death.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
738 Posts
So you’d rather flout the road safety laws in your country by paying to import a part that isn’t legal on your roads for a few extra litres of storage space?

I do hope not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you’d rather flout the road safety laws in your country by paying to import a part that isn’t legal on your roads for a few extra litres of storage space?

I do hope not.
This has nothing to do with road safety and doing modifications in the USA is not frowned upon. Also there will never be anybody to question that modification as far as enforcement. So yes I do intend to do that.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
738 Posts
This has nothing to do with road safety and doing modifications in the USA is not frowned upon. Also there will never be anybody to question that modification as far as enforcement. So yes I do intend to do that.
Fair enough :)

Once a car here reaches 3 years old, it is required to have an annual inspection which, if the escape latch were needed here would more than likely be part of the test, so having the larger frunk in place during the examination would result in a fail that is recorded on all national motoring data bases. Not having an up to date inspection certificate (we call it MOT) also invalidates your insurance, which is another marker on all those databases. This means you could generate an alert via any one of the nearly 9000 ANPR cameras around the UK and get a visit from the police for driving illegally! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fair enough :)

Once a car here reaches 3 years old, it is required to have an annual inspection which, if the escape latch were needed here would more than likely be part of the test, so having the larger frunk in place during the examination would result in a fail that is recorded on all national motoring data bases. Not having an up to date inspection certificate (we call it MOT) also invalidates your insurance, which is another marker on all those databases. This means you could generate an alert via any one of the nearly 9000 ANPR cameras around the UK and get a visit from the police for driving illegally! :)
Thankfully where I live we have no such things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't care about this stupid law... I wanna import one too! or maybe we can use this space for a spare tire? or we can find an other way to use this space...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts