Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our P45 has been parked at home for a couple of days, not been used. Yet the front air flaps seem to regularly open and close. Has anyone else noticed this? The weather has been cool and wet, but not either hot or cold, and the car is not plugged in.

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was out earlier loading a parcel in the boot ready to take to the local drop-off point. I nipped back inside to collect something before setting off and as I walked back past the car I heard a whirring sound. When I looked back, the flaps had opened. The car had not been used so far today and it was only 14° outside, so I can’t imagine it was too hot.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
454 Posts
Maybe that is it’s way of greeting you in the morning – a friendly wave.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Something doesn't seem right with mine. I went out this morning after a cold frost and the vents are open. I would have thought they would be shut to preserve any warmth in the battery not disburse it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is definitely something not right with the software driving these flaps. Some cars never seem to have the flaps open when they should be (TeslaBjorn), and others open even though the car has not been used for hours. On mine they immediately open when the car is charging and close after a small delay once finished. They always seem open when driving. It’s a mystery!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Again today. I decided to wash the car so I moved it a little bit nearer the house. All of 6ft and the only distance it had moved today. Flaps opened. By the time I had finished washing and drying the car and was just putting the stuff away, whirring sound and flaps close (complete with dirt and dead insects of course).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been watching this today, and the flaps seem to be opening and closing regularly for no reason. The car is not plugged in, hasn't been used for a couple of days, and the ambiant temperature is cool.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's definitely happening regularly, maybe a sensor or mechanism issue? I'm starting to worry about the 12v battery......:eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine are operating properly again. However, the one that was stuck opens and closes slightly behind the other one. They don’t uniformly operate. No idea if they were always like that.

Does anyone know what problem they solve. Other EV cars don’t have vent flaps that move (or maybe they do and are less visible) I get that they are directing the flow of air to manage the heat. I always think that passive ways to solve problems are better than complex active ways as it’s something else to fail.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Active flaps are another mechanism that can fail, but they reduce aerodynamic drag. So I guess they're a good thing. But I can't imagine why they would open and close while parked. That's weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it possible it's linked to key proximity, maybe also linked to when the flaps were last used, to prevent the mechanism ceasing up through long periods of not being used? After all it doesn't take a lot of energy to move them. It sounds buggy but there may be more to it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is it possible it's linked to key proximity, maybe also linked to when the flaps were last used, to prevent the mechanism ceasing up through long periods of not being used? After all it doesn't take a lot of energy to move them. It sounds buggy but there may be more to it?
It’s not key proximity as mine never open in that way. I’ve only ever seen mine open once when it’s been parked up. They always open when charging. I also doubt they are activated to prevent them seizing up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another rather concerning fact came to light today. On Saturday night (Sunday morning) we charged the car up to 80%. Using the car today the battery was at 69% on startup. That's a loss of 2% per day... :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts