Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my daughter and co-worker have forgotten to shut the car off and left it on in the parking lot running for a time. I know the car makes a "noise" if you do this, but it seems that the sound should be much louder and more insistent if you remove the Fob from a running car. Like the horn/alarm should go off. All four of the times they have been distracted by events happening around them. Has anyone had the same problem and if so have they found an easy solution. Other then a Gibb's Slap to the back of the head.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
736 Posts
BigKahun

I used to leave my EV "running" at first. It's just so quite and I'd driven ICE vehicles for so long, that it was habit to assume it was off without all the noise. however, I've never not heard the warning after existing and trying to leave the vehicle. That alarm trained me and now I always turn off before existing the vehicle. I think your only recourse here is the Gibbs Slap upside the head. :D

OB

·
Registered
378 Posts
I also find the warning beeps loud enough to be heard. Sometimes I exit the car and leave it running on purpose. In these cases the beeping is slightly annoying instead of a helpful reminder. So I wouldn't want the beeping to be any louder than it is currently. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I also find the warning beeps loud enough to be heard. Sometimes I exit the car and leave it running on purpose. In these cases the beeping is slightly annoying instead of a helpful reminder. So I wouldn't want the beeping to be any louder than it is currently. Just my opinion.
Yep, if you walk more than meter or two away from the car with it on, surely you get a warning sound? I do on my PHEV and did on my hybrid before it. There's a series of pings as you open the door, then another as the key fob leaves the immediate vicinity

You really have to be pretty dim to walk away and leave it running without noticing... Please feel free to pass this message to your daughter and co-worker! >:)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
the only time you wouldn't get the alarm sound is in you leave the key inside the car, instead of in your pocket
..Which is, in and of itself, pretty dim.>:)

Reactions: Ou Boet

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
^^^
haha same @IsntItIoniq :D

Or the rare occasion the stereo is off and I try to lock it and it beeps angrily at me. I always spend about a minute confused looking at it frowning and then remember.. i've left it on. lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Late to the party here but surely the car won't lock if it's on? That would be a clue, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
This all sounds good reason for ignition keys. Coupled with the security issues of keyless ignition systems is this really progress.
My neighbour recently lost his ten year old Jag - keyless code was grabbed from the fob in his pocket as he walked across the car park into Tesco's.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This all sounds good reason for ignition keys. Coupled with the security issues of keyless ignition systems is this really progress.
My neighbour recently lost his ten year old Jag - keyless code was grabbed from the fob in his pocket as he walked across the car park into Tesco's.
I can't wait for my keyless. My fingers don't work very well, it can be a nightmare getting the key into the ignition, especially in the dark!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree the warning signal is loud enough. On my former car, the horn did go on three times in this situation, that was very irritating. There are so much situations where we indeed want to have the car on, being outside (especially with a/c or heating on) : loading/unloading the trunk with people on, etc...

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is one of the main Reasons I Didnt got for the hybrid Premium i GOTTA "turn it off" to get my key out .. (My daughter has a "Keyless / Push Button BMW 3 series" .. & it really "Messes with yer head" when her hubby gets in the same time as her (to go out) Graham (Husband) has got out fer a "Loo Break" & all **** has broken loose Horns & Lights going off & my Daughter is still sitting in the driving seat ..

The Car "Locked on to HIS KEY in HIS Pocket" & Ignored my daughters ... Hence he got out fer a Loo break & all the Horns & lights started going off / Flashing ect ect ...

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,835 Posts
This is one of the main Reasons I Didnt got for the hybrid Premium i GOTTA "turn it off" to get my key out .. (My daughter has a "Keyless / Push Button BMW 3 series" .. & it really "Messes with yer head" when her hubby gets in the same time as her (to go out) Graham (Husband) has got out fer a "Loo Break" & all **** has broken loose Horns & Lights going off & my Daughter is still sitting in the driving seat ..

The Car "Locked on to HIS KEY in HIS Pocket" & Ignored my daughters ... Hence he got out fer a Loo break & all the Horns & lights started going off / Flashing ect ect ...
I believe the Ioniq's (and Hyundai's in general) is a little more seamless than that. If both keys are in the car to start, as long as one of the keys remains in the vehicle with it turned on, it will not complain. Even then, when it does utter a complaint for taking the key out of the car while it is running, the complaint is just a prolonged low tone that lasts about 5-7 seconds, not jarring at all, and no horns or lights going off, just the tone and a message on the dash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ive had the opposite effect a couple of times When I tried to drive away without actually starting the car. Dim or what???
Usually when I get distracted when leaving home on auto pilot

·
Registered
97 Posts
As I found out yesterday, getting out of the car while it was still running meant that I could not open the rear door to get my coat out.:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the Ioniq's (and Hyundai's in general) is a little more seamless than that. If both keys are in the car to start, as long as one of the keys remains in the vehicle with it turned on, it will not complain. Even then, when it does utter a complaint for taking the key out of the car while it is running, the complaint is just a prolonged low tone that lasts about 5-7 seconds, not jarring at all, and no horns or lights going off, just the tone and a message on the dash.
Where is that annoying tone coming from under the hood? I'd like to muffle it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FWIW: I have found that if I leave the driver door open when I get out with the key in my pocket, the car doesn’t complain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts