Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bit of background.
The Ioniq 5 does not come with properly calibrated headlights from factory. Every dealer has to do that with the machine.
What is fairly specific to the Ioniq 5 is that the highbeam and lowbeam can be adjusted separately! This is not the case on many other cars.

If the dealer misses this, and does not adjust the highbeams properly, they will be pointing completely down, and it will look like in this video:

You will have a massive blob in the middle blinding you, and see nothing at all. This is because the highbeams are adjusted all the way down and the dealer did not set them correctly.
The car also will not pass an MOT like this (although not really very important for new cars).

After doing the proper adjustment there's a massive difference to the headlights. They actually work very well to see far instead of working against you.

Another thing I recommend (if the dealer will let you do that). Set the light corrector switch to 1 instead of 0, let them calibrate the low beam to spec (the corrector only affects the low beam, not the highbeam), and then raise the lowbeam back up to position 0. The end result is that you don't blind anyone but see a bit better - I tested this specifically with putting another vehicle (low car, not SUV) on the same street into the opposing lane and looking into the headlights, and it was not blinding at all. The spec is fairly conservative on these cars.

Here's a video showing correct adjustment against a wall:

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I also commented on that video. It is unfortunate that this video is even on YouTube, does not do the credibility of the guy any favors, when you can't tell a car has blatantly misadjusted headlights.
I've worked with cars for ten years and said within 10 seconds of turning mine on that they're not adjusted right. When turning on the highbeams, their beam should never heavily illuminate what your low beams are already illuminating. Those two massive bright blobs are supposed to be ABOVE the low beam light not in front of you on the road.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Long Range AWD 2022
396 Posts
A bit of background.
The Ioniq 5 does not come with properly calibrated headlights from factory. Every dealer has to do that with the machine.
What is fairly specific to the Ioniq 5 is that the highbeam and lowbeam can be adjusted separately! This is not the case on many other cars.

If the dealer misses this, and does not adjust the highbeams properly, they will be pointing completely down, and it will look like in this video:

You will have a massive blob in the middle blinding you, and see nothing at all. This is because the highbeams are adjusted all the way down and the dealer did not set them correctly.
The car also will not pass an MOT like this (although not really very important for new cars).

After doing the proper adjustment there's a massive difference to the headlights. They actually work very well to see far instead of working against you.

Another thing I recommend (if the dealer will let you do that). Set the light corrector switch to 1 instead of 0, let them calibrate the low beam to spec (the corrector only affects the low beam, not the highbeam), and then raise the lowbeam back up to position 0. The end result is that you don't blind anyone but see a bit better - I tested this specifically with putting another vehicle (low car, not SUV) on the same street into the opposing lane and looking into the headlights, and it was not blinding at all. The spec is fairly conservative on these cars.
How can you test that during the day (I doubt I will be picking up the car in the middle of the night).

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How can you test that during the day (I doubt I will be picking up the car in the middle of the night).
I can make a video of what the light pattern should be against a wall. You can use the low beams as reference, and then check where the high beams appear. If they appear above the low beam cutoff line, everything is good, if they appear below the line, then they need adjustment.

Even at day time, if you get it sufficiently close to a wall you will see the low beam cut off and where the high beams are pointing.

At night you won't have a problem. If your first reaction is "WTF IS THIS" then they are adjusted wrong :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Advanced RWD
10 Posts
I would really appreciate if you could take the time to make a video. I am not sure whether my lights are not properly adjusted, however, I was very disappointed with the highbeam performance of my Ioniq 5 when compared to the ordinary LED highbeam performance of my previous VW Touran. I am hoping that also my ligths are wrongly calibrated. If not, I have to purchase some type of extra lights.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Advanced RWD
10 Posts
Here's a video for you against a wall with them adjusted correctly. Easy to compare, and you can probably even do it during the day in the shade.
Here's a video for you against a wall with them adjusted correctly. Easy to compare, and you can probably even do it during the day in the shade.
Thanks, you were so quick that I posted my request after your video... (y)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, could possibly eliminate the need for a LED bar. Could you please somehow try to reproduce Bjorn's video with a correctly adjusted high beam?
I did have a Sony action camera somewhere, so in theory I could.
No idea if I can find it though, it's been a while, I'll see if I get some free time, I might do it. It's certainly a lot more effort than simply filming the garage with the phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did have a Sony action camera somewhere, so in theory I could.
No idea if I can find it though, it's been a while, I'll see if I get some free time, I might do it. It's certainly a lot more effort than simply filming the garage with the phone.
A full Bjorn Nyland 1000 km test is not necessary :cool:, just if you have a winding road somewhere close with an example of high/low beam. Or another place where it is possible to see how far your high beam reaches. Still images is ok. Just to have something to compare with. If you have the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'll make sure my dealer does this when mine arrives.
Oddly a friend recently had to do similar on his Tesla model 3.
Seems to be another one of those simple things that is missed when doing a PDI on a new car.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5, Premium
70 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'll make sure my dealer does this when mine arrives.
Oddly a friend recently had to do similar on his Tesla model 3.
Seems to be another one of those simple things that is missed when doing a PDI on a new car.
Yes, many model 3s dazzle as they pass on low beam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A bit of background.

Here's a video showing correct adjustment against a wall:
Would you say that mine should be fixed?
Plant Sunlight Asphalt Land lot Vegetation
Water Plant Asphalt Land lot Road surface

1 - 20 of 63 Posts