Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are forum members getting on with the foot operated brake? Does it take much time to get used to it? Do you use it at traffic lights, junctions etc. where if you were waiting for a while in a car with a handbrake, you'd pull the handbrake on until it's time to go?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
took me a couple of weeks to get used to it

1st week I kept forgetting to release it until the car kept binging at me within a few yards (oops :( )

after a few of those that it became 2nd nature,

and no I don't use it at lights or junctions, just put it in neutral and hold it on the foot brake

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Bit strange at first but got used to it quickly .Biggest problem was remembering to put it on seeing as my last 3 cars had electronic handbrakes . Sometimes put it on at traffic lights if I think I'm going to be there a while or I'm on an uphill slope .

·
Registered
278 Posts
My last Mercedes had one. No dramas. Never used it at lights or in traffic. In fact don't remember using it at junctions.

Maybe just a bad driver.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't use it, even to park. I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the foot operated foot brake, not sure why an electronic brake wasn't used as on other models.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So did mine, and likewise, no issues.

I think it might be perceived to be more of a problem by people coming from a manual rather than an auto.
Good thinking. Automatic driving can be an adjustment.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got used to it after a week or two. I don't use the parking brake like a handbrake while the hybrid system is on, because the automatic gearbox doesn't seem designed for that.

If I switch the gearbox from Parking position to R position with the parking brake locked but no foot on the brake pedal, the rear gear may not actually engage even though the instruments do display "R". In that case if I then proceed to release the parking brake while depressing the accelerator and facing a downhill slope, like with a manual gearbox, the car will start moving forward instead of backwards!! As you can imagine, it caused a bit of a problem and anxiety:eek:. They don't explain that in the owner's manual, or I missed it.

So once I understood that, I decided never to engage the parking brake except when switching off the hybrid system. And when I switch the hybrid system on, I immediately depress the brake pedal and release the parking brake before engaging any gear. When waiting at a junction for a longtime, I switch the gearbox to Parking, but I keep my right foot on the brake pedal and don't touch the parking brake. I find Parking safer than Neutral if I am waiting on a slope, so I have never used the Neutral position since I bought the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am hoping moving from manual to auto I am not going to be using the parking brake as often as I currently use it apart from parked up of course.

The foot parking brake is pretty standard on all US cars I have driven so maybe they are standardising.

I am sure I read somewhere if you take out of D at lights into N then this is causing wear on your auto box and wasn't just directed at Hyundai vehicles but all autos.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am sure I read somewhere if you take out of D at lights into N then this is causing wear on your auto box and wasn't just directed at Hyundai vehicles but all autos.
Thanks a lot for the tip. In Europe we mostly have a manual gearbox culture, so we may unknowingly misuse the automatic gearbox. As a matter of fact I also read somewhere that I should engage the parking brake AND release the brake pedal before switching the gearbox to Parking to preserve the automatic gearbox, so I will try to take that habit to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am hoping moving from manual to auto I am not going to be using the parking brake as often as I currently use it apart from parked up of course.

The foot parking brake is pretty standard on all US cars I have driven so maybe they are standardising.

I don't know much about autos but I can't see how being in N would cause wear, the engine and motor are also off when the vehicle is stationary.

As I understand it this is not a standard auto its dual clutch gearbox, not sure if this makes a difference? It's certainly a very fast and smooth shift.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

is that for normal torque convertor auto, or DCT ?

never heard that one before

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think reading back at the article I read it was torque convertor auto so not sure how DCT or CVT work in similar situation.

My PCH comes with maintenance so I guess it will depend on how long I expect to stop for. If it's just very short then just brake. If it's any longer then N and foot brake.

My worry would be I forget to take foot brake off after having electronic brake for the last three years. However I guess if you just use brake then there is the risk someone goes into the back of you and your foot slips off the brake and you start going forward into the car in front.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Very few people in the US utilize a parking brake. P selection in an automatic does that (almost all cars with a foot emergency brake are automatics - not sure why). Perhaps 5% of American cars are manuals (all of mine are) and I just leave it in reverse or first gear. Takes a mighty steep slope before I consider engaging the emergency (parking) brake. Couple times a year perhaps and still likely overkill.

Poo. Fake news.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm still getting used to it. I forgot to release it on Saturday as I was leaving home, and the car was beeping at me about it! Even though I've had a Prius for 12 years, which also had a foot-operated parking brake, I still forget.
Plus, my wife just get her new Auris Hybrid, which comes with a 'normal' hand brake! Really nice car, but sad to think that this cost more than my Ioniq!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Very few people in the US utilize a parking brake. P selection in an automatic does that (almost all cars with a foot emergency brake are automatics - not sure why). Perhaps 5% of American cars are manuals (all of mine are) and I just leave it in reverse or first gear. Takes a mighty steep slope before I consider engaging the emergency (parking) brake. Couple times a year perhaps and still likely overkill.
Yeah, I'm reading all of this nonsense of using the foot/parking brake thinking what the heck is everyone talking about? There's so much wrong in this thread lol. In the US, we only use the parking brake when we're at our destination, parked, getting ready to turn the car off. Never in traffic. This is also a bad idea to have the parking brake on and your foot off of the standard brake pedal because your rear brake lights are not illuminated warning vehicles behind you. Furthermore, if you see somebody approaching you quickly in your rear view mirror and they are not paying attention you are actually supposed to take your foot OFF of the brake as they cause a rear end collision. Studies have shown that you should allow your vehicle to "give" if there is an impending rear end collision as you will suffer fewer injuries than just having the car behind you hit you like a brick wall.

You should also not change gears in an automatic when idling in traffic (like putting it in Park or Neutral). It literally does nothing for you but would cause more wear on the transmission. Just leave it in Drive and apply the standard (not parking) brake pedal until you're ready to go.

On my manual transmission vehicles, I put the car in neutral when I am approaching a stop light and apply the brake and leave it in neutral until the light changes green to go as that is my understanding of what is recommended for best wear on a manual, but not something you do on an automatic.

Lastly, I don't know why anybody would even apply the parking brake on a manual transmission on a hill? If you know how to drive a manual properly, you aren't going to roll back. If you roll back more than say, an inch, you're doing it wrong. Rolling back in a manual puts a lot of stress on the transmission. If someone is literally an inch behind you and you roll back into them, by law it is the other driver's fault as they are considered following too closely, manual or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
You'd be taking a chance where I live if you didn't apply the parking brake when parking on a hill . As far as the law goes on rolling back , I'm not sure it's the same in the UK . I think it's the moving vehicle that's at fault not the stationary one .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lastly, I don't know why anybody would even apply the parking brake on a manual transmission on a hill? If you know how to drive a manual properly, you aren't going to roll back. If you roll back more than say, an inch, you're doing it wrong. Rolling back in a manual puts a lot of stress on the transmission. If someone is literally an inch behind you and you roll back into them, by law it is the other driver's fault as they are considered following too closely, manual or not.
While I agree to all of the rest what you were saying, I'd like to point out that there are hills and HILLS. And while I'm perfectly capable of not rolling back on most hills I do use my parking brake quite regularly on some of them. One of the worst "hills" has actually been an underground parking garage in Munich city centre. :)

And, well, I wouldn't really want to make the case that it was the other driver's fault in court or vis-a-vis my insurance. So I'd rather use my parking brake and stay safe.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts