Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my first week has passed as an Ioniq Hybrid owner and all I can say is I'm well pleased that I changed from the Kadjar . I've lost a little luggage and cabin storage space but not enough to regret the move . Everything on the car seems to work as described in the brochure which is more than I can say about the Kadjar . The Kadjar is a great car to drive ( mine was manual ) but I must say the Ioniq is even more so . I really enjoy driving it , even offering the wife countless shopping trips ( though that may be a negative ;) ) . The Kadjar had two USB connections for media , which was how I played my music . The Ioniq also has two , though one is for charging only it would seem , but on the plus side it has Android Auto so I can use that to play my music when I set it up this weekend and test it .
My fuel efficiency is coming in at 58.5 mpg at present after about 350 miles . Bearing in mind my commute to work involves a three mile climb up a mountain every morning and I live in a hilly area in any case , I'm well pleased with that . I think I can probably better that figure once I've learnt to drive the car properly .
There is only one thing that is a bit strange and that's the parking brake . I have been used to electronic parking brakes on my last two cars which come on when the ignition is switched off . I've forgotten to put the parking brake on a couple of times . It's also in an awkward position , but not difficult to apply if you're able bodied . I can't see that the Ioniq will be suitable for those with mobility problems , especially of the left leg , unless Hyundai come up with a workaround
Honestly , I can't say anything bad about it at the moment

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does the parking brake need to be applied? I've never used the handbrake on my automatics except while parking on very seep inclines as they lock the wheels when in Park. It's also not an MOT fail to have an inoperative handbrake on an auto. My Ioniq's still on order but when I had one for a 24 hour test drive, I kept forgetting to apply it. Just wondering if it's really necessary?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the parking brake need to be applied? I've never used the handbrake on my automatics except while parking on very seep inclines as they lock the wheels when in Park. It's also not an MOT fail to have an inoperative handbrake on an auto. My Ioniq's still on order but when I had one for a 24 hour test drive, I kept forgetting to apply it. Just wondering if it's really necessary?
I have left it in a car park while I went into town and forgotten to apply the parking brake . Hadn't moved when I came back and it was on an slight incline . For my piece of mind though , I'm making sure I apply it every time now less I forget when I park on a steep incline . I think it's better safe than sorry . :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't have my Ioniq yet, but on my golf mkvi estate with dsg, I rarely apply handbrake, only if on steep inclines to save a bit of wear and tear on the park "cog" when moving back in to gear.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't have my Ioniq yet, but on my golf mkvi estate with dsg, I rarely apply handbrake, only if on steep inclines to save a bit of wear and tear on the park "cog" when moving back in to gear.
Perhaps I'm being overcautious , having had a car roll back down a hill once and trash some poor man's brand new car :eek:

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
i used to forget the parking brake when I first got it (both put it on or try driving off without releasing it :( )

but now it is 2nd nature , great fun when I get in the wife manual car and try ad use the clutch to release the parking brake :)

but when I try and put it in 2nd (same place as drive) without using the clutch for some reason she don't look impressed :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts