Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a weird shifting incident while charging. I parked at EA charger, engine off. Plugged the car in, since it was hot put, I powered the car on. When it was done charging, the plug unlocked, and I disconnected. When I got back into put into drive and leave, it would not shift out of park. I had to power down and power up a couple times before it would shift into drive. But I see this recall is different.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD Digital Teal w/ Green/Gray 2 tone interior
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw this. I picked up my car two days ago. I guess I’ll use the parking brake everywhere for now in case…it goes back to 2021 builds, but haven’t seen any issues online
Good call on using the parking brake, I’m going to do that too. That will probably be Hyundai’s advice until a remedy is available.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do people not use the parking brake all the time? Driving a manual for many years has probably warped my perception on what's normal.
Agree with this. With all due respect to anyone's parking habits, I personally make it a point to engage the parking brake and ensure the car is stationary before putting it in P, specifically to keep the load off the transmission. Full disclosure though, I have had mechanics chuckle at this habit.

Regarding the recall, I just checked my VIN on NHTSA and it didn't come up for me. Hoping this doesn't affect a large production run.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
612 Posts
I had a weird shifting incident while charging. I parked at EA charger, engine off. Plugged the car in, since it was hot put, I powered the car on. When it was done charging, the plug unlocked, and I disconnected. When I got back into put into drive and leave, it would not shift out of park. I had to power down and power up a couple times before it would shift into drive. But I see this recall is different.
This is normal and expected behavior after DC charging when the car is on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also had that happen after DC charging last week, took a few power cycles to shift into D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Regarding the recall, I just checked my VIN on NHTSA and it didn't come up for me. Hoping this doesn't affect a large production run.
The memo just hit dealers yesterday. VINs we’re not loaded until today. Mine falls within the date range but did not show up on Hyundais recall site yesterday. Today it did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just checked and my vin is effected as well...

Recall 228 22V324000 HYUNDAI IS INITIATING A SAFETY RECALL TO ADDRESS A CONDITION INVOLVING THEPARKING ACTUATOR SYSTEM IN CERTAIN 2022 MODEL YEAR HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 VEHICLES IN THE U.S. AND CANADA. HYUNDAI IS INITIATING THIS ACTION TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF ITS VEHICLES FOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMERS. THE SHIFT-BY-WIRE SYSTEM IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES CONTAINS A SHIFTER CONTROL UNIT ("SCU") AND ELECTRONIC PARKING PAWL ACTUATOR. A VOLTAGE FLUCTUATIONMAY OCCUR WITH THE VEHICLE OFF AND IN THE PARK (P) POSITION, WHICH COULD IMPACT THE COMMAND SIGNAL FROM THE SCU TO THE PARKING ACTUATOR, RESULTING IN MOMENTARY DISENGAGEMENT OF THE PARKING PAWL AND POTENTIAL VEHICLE ROLLAWAY. VEHICLE ROLLAWAY AFTER PARKING INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH AND/OR INJURIES. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the car I was supposed to pick up tomorrow is on the list. Bummer. :(
Have you heard from the dealer? Will they let you buy it or no? From what I understand they’re not supposed to be able to sell new cars with open recalls without addressing them first. But with no remedy available it is essentially a stop sale. Some on Reddit are still posting about picking up cars. Bizarre.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts