Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
I got the Torklift hitch. I took it to my Hyundai dealer, and they said they won't install it because it's a third party product, and they can't be liable. They were concerned that the hitch doesn't come with a trim for the rough cut on the bumper. They said if they mess up, the bumper is endlessly back up in production.

Does anyone have any recommendations for if I should take it to a place like U-Haul and ask them to do it? Or should I try to return the Torklift product and instead wait for the Hyundai hitch so the dealer can put it on?

Registered
Digital Teal SE RWD Long Range
First you should go on Torklifts website to see if they have any dealers close to you which is what I did. If not them most RV places do hitch installs and those are everywhere. The OEM hitch is not a 2 inch hitch if that matters to you.

Registered
Just tried to do this installation. OMG. Seems like the chassis has been changed and the rails to bolt onto are not accessible at all. I have a AWD and wonder if there is a completely difference design now. Anyone else noticed this. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Any help appreciated

Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
Thanks. I figured it out. Was trying to do it without removing the bumper. Worked. But perhaps harder. Also helped to remove a few of the clips holding the felt liner on the underside to give more space to work.
Glad you figured it out. Definitely not a quick and easy install, but a well designed hitch made from stainless steel 馃憤

Registered
Thanks. I figured it out. Was trying to do it without removing the bumper. Worked. But perhaps harder. Also helped to remove a few of the clips holding the felt liner on the underside to give more space to work.
What part/parts do you you have to remove under the car to attempt this installation without removing the rear bumper.

Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
What part/parts do you you have to remove under the car to attempt this installation without removing the rear bumper.
Just one cover that's used to seal the underbody for aerodynamics. You have to trim the plastic from it where it contacts the hitch to reinstall it.

Registered
Just one cover that's used to seal the underbody for aerodynamics. You have to trim the plastic from it where it contacts the hitch to reinstall it.
Thank you. Lastly, any suggested tools I should have on hand before I attempt this endeavor. Any tips would also be much appreciated.

Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
Thank you. Lastly, any suggested tools I should have on hand before I attempt this endeavor. Any tips would also be much appreciated.
The hardest part of the bumper cut was finding the center of the bumper while lying on your back under the car. I just measured the center between the two plastic attachment points of the bumper outer shell. I did tape the bumper with frog tape to mark it up and help to see the cut line I had marked out. Just step back and site in the center mark and see if it looks to be centered. Make your measurements at what are called for. Just notice that the point of measurement for the vertical cut is from the crease in the bumper. I made mine 3" in instead of 3-1/6" The plastic bumper cuts very easily, I used a Dewalt adjustable speed oscillating saw. Very easy to control with a fine toothed wood blade. The other cuts can then be made to the plastic brackets under the shell that aren't needed anymore and must be gotten out of the way of the hitch. Your saw will zip right through them. You will also have to trim the plastic on the chassis cover where it contacts the width of the hitch to put it back in place. Sorry I didn't take any pictures during the installation. If your cut is too wide just put a rubber molding around the opening it will look fine. The whole area is not really visible from the rear unless you're within a couple feet and looking at the area. No one pays attention to it except you.:) Good luck you can do it. There is plenty of room to put a socket wrench or even a torque wrench on the bolts if need be. I didn't need a wiring harness but from looking at wiring I think I could have installed that also without removing the bumper.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts