Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
107 Posts
Mine arrived - well made! I was a bit worried about the overall weight but after weighing everything comes to ~25lbs. Not too bad. Be installing this weekend View attachment 41742
Hopefully if you don't need the wiring harness the bumper removal isn't necessary. I would think you could bolt it on easily. I like how the brackets bolt on separately so you don't have to support the entire weight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hopefully if you don't need the wiring harness the bumper removal isn't necessary. I would think you could bolt it on easily. I like how the brackets bolt on separately so you don't have to support the entire weight.
I'm actually shocked that the rear bumper needs to be removed. The factory Hyundai hitch just has you remove the rear fender liners. This hitch looks like it utilizes the same mounting points.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you live in an area where salt is used in the winter....
Put grease on those bolts before you install them. Other wise after a few years of salt, those bolts won't come out so easy.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
107 Posts
Got my Torklift hitch yesterday. They never told me it shipped, it just showed up. I didn't need a wiring harness as I just use it for a bike rack. So instead of taking off the bumper I just removed the one cover under the bumper and tried to find the attachment points. They were easily accessible as I didn't lift the car up at all just layed on the garage floor. I cut the bumper in place from below with a oscillating saw which I couldn't have done without. You can bolt both brackets on first leaving them loose and then slip the main frame in place at one end and then the other. Went back and tightened all the bolts, placed the cover back on, and done in 3 hrs. I cut the bumper in place from below with a oscillating saw which I couldn't have done without. Just watch your measurement of the bumper cut. I made mine a little smaller than called for and it fit like a glove.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my Torklift hitch yesterday. They never told me it shipped, it just showed up. I didn't need a wiring harness as I just use it for a bike rack. So instead of taking off the bumper I just removed the one cover under the bumper and tried to find the attachment points. They were easily accessible as I didn't lift the car up at all just layed on the garage floor. I cut the bumper in place from below with a oscillating saw which I couldn't have done without. You can bolt both brackets on first leaving them loose and then slip the main frame in place at one end and then the other. Went back and tightened all the bolts, placed the cover back on, and done in 3 hrs. I cut the bumper in place from below with a oscillating saw which I couldn't have done without. Just watch your measurement of the bumper cut. I made mine a little smaller than called for and it fit like a glove.
Would love to see some pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for confirmation bumper does not need to be removed. Amount of work you need to do to remove the bumper is scary, and I don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
Digital Teal SE RWD Long Range
154 Posts
I think for bike rack use which is all I intend to do then not removing the bumper is fine. But if you intend to tow there is no way to make sure you have the correct torque on the bolts without removing the bumper and using a proper torque wrench. Just my thoughts of waiting it done with the bumper off. There isn’t enough space with the bumper on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished the install tonight and was struggling a bit trying to get the bumper to release on the passenger side where I started. I was following The Ioniq Guy's video and trying not to force anything too much. I ended up grabbing and pulling on top corner with my left hand and bottom corner with my right hand and pushed on the actual corner of the bumper with my knee and it just popped right off. Hopefully that will help those that have not installed yet.
Overall, it took me 3.5 hours including installing the trailer wiring harness.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Limited (on order)
13 Posts
So you didn't have to remove the bumper to install the hitch? And, it still took 3 hours!?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts