Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
We live in Ottawa, Canada. Our previous car was a Ford mid-sized SUV (taller than the Ioniq 5 of course) with most of thr same driver assist features (adaptive cruise, lane-centring etc). A few times every winter, when it was snowing heavily, the adaptive cruise in the Ford would shut off because the radar sensor was blocked. With the Ioniq 5 it seems to happen every time it snows or when there is lots of spray from other vehicles. And unlike the Ford, the car doesn’t revert to standard, non-adaptive cruise. Once it shuts off, you’re driving like it’s the 1980s again.

With AWD, Michelin X-Ice 19” tires and snow mode when conditions call for it, the car is brilliant in winter. But I am beginning to hate how sensitive the radar sensor is.

· Registered
386 Posts
Yep.
I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago when we had some snow. The car (RWD) was undriveable on complete snow cover (in snow mode). We live on a hill and even going down hill the car was out of control on icy sections, I was just sliding along.
I don't need to drive every day so I won't be buying different tires for the few days a year it is snowing. That's also why I opted for RWD instead of AWD.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
Yep.
I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago when we had some snow. The car (RWD) was undriveable on complete snow cover (in snow mode). We live on a hill and even going down hill the car was out of control on icy sections, I was just sliding along.
I don't need to drive every day so I won't be buying different tires for the few days a year it is snowing. That's also why I opted for RWD instead of AWD.
You'll be just as out of control braking, which in my opinion is worse than not being able to accelerate.

A cheap used set of winter tires off any Kia/Hyundai SUV will be safer than going down a hill with all seasons. It's impossible to get into an accident standing still, only while moving and can't steer or brake in time.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yep.
What tires do you run around the year? Winter tires aren't only about snow. The compound behaves differently at colder temperatures.

I get the desire to not change wheels, it's a pain. But if it's a $$ issue, having 2 sets of tires will last twice the duration. So you can either go through tires twice as fast and be less safe half the year, or change between winter and summer, and the lifetime of the tires will be extended. Plus the added bonus of being more safe and having better performing tires for each season.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts