Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD 72.6kWh + tech + eco [MY22.5]
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...was an interesting experience 馃槅 First off the car couldn't move at all up a slight hill where my parents live even in snow mode, constant wheelspin even with barely any throttle (there was less than an inch of settled snow) and so I had to take a detour and go down instead - then, cruising in the slowest lane of the motorway at 50mph, someone starts flashing/beeping at me like crazy - I had my foglight on as the snow was coming down pretty bad, and when I tested it out at home those lights are outrageously bright!

More worrying though, after about 30 miles of normal driving with SCC, radar, HDA and smart regeneration all failed simultaneously and then the car warned me about critical systems being unavailable.

Then, near the end of my motorway journey the car suddenly detected a phantom collision danger, flashed up with a bunch of warnings and did some emergency braking (never had that before)!

I mean in reality we got back absolutely fine, but it does make me wonder how people in colder/more extreme climates get on - this was -2c in Kent!
I am quite confused though why the radar was suddenly "blocked" after many miles of driving.

For the record, I pumped the tyres up to their recommended levels before the journey as they were all showing 30psi recently.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the regular all-season ones provided with the - the parts of the UK where I am/travel to at least don't really have a need for snow/winter tyres (normally)

Registered
My tyres went from 39psi to 33psi at the cold weather hit, I pumped them back up to 39psi, will keep an eye on it as it gets warmer.

The tyres are the original Michelin EV tyres that were supplied with the car (so summer tyres).

I never expected a 2t RWD 'truck' with low body clearance and summer tyres to be any good in the snow, my other car is a 4x4 smal SUV with a petrol engine... which is what I'll be using if the snow stays tomorrow.

Anyone in Canada or Northern Europe has a RWD? If so then I am assuming it will be on cold-weather tyres. How are you getting on with driving in the snow?

Registered
Keeping that center radar sensor clear is the main problem. If there is anything on that center bar between the lights clear in wet snow or even rain (I had the problem on a day with constant heavy mist), the Drive Assist system will fail. It's a great system when it works but keeping sensors clear and working will continue to be a problem.

Registered
22 Ioniq Ultimate RWD tech/Eco Shooting Star Grey (due Dec 22)
Keeping that center radar sensor clear is the main problem. If there is anything on that center bar between the lights clear in wet snow or even rain (I had the problem on a day with constant heavy mist), the Drive Assist system will fail. It's a great system when it works but keeping sensors clear and working will continue to be a problem.
I assume you can turn that off? (haven't collected mine yet). Sounds prudent to go fully manual if it's that unreliable in poor conditions

Registered
IONIQ 5 Ultimate AWD + Tech + Eco Galactic Grey Delivered
Then, near the end of my motorway journey the car suddenly detected a phantom collision danger, flashed up with a bunch of warnings and did some emergency braking (never had that before)!

Have this all the time.

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 (2021) Ultimate, Eco + Tech packs, RWD 73kWh
I Had a very similar experience in Kent yesterday, but without the hill problem. Though the backend was a little twitchy turning out of a carpark on to a narrow untreated road, even in snow mode with practically no throttle. I checked the front sensor bar when I got home and it was completely covered in snow, hence the warnings I received.

Registered
Also had my first full winter driving experience yesterday in New England. Heavy, wet, pasty snow. The Ioniq 5 SEL handled beautifully. It has AWD and I put studded snow tires all around. Put it in SNOW mode for most of the trip. The safety and driving assist systems were all inoperable because of the slush plastered on the front end of the car. The warnings repeated on occasion but cleaning the sensors was pointless as they quickly covered up again. Just driving normally was excellent though. Braking will not go above 2 in those conditions/SNOW mode, which is good. Collision alarm only sounded when I came to a full stop at a traffic light or STOP sign. Very pleased with the performance. Now If we could only solve the level 2 charging issue.
PS: 鈥淎ll Weather鈥 means 鈥渟ummer鈥 tires in northern NE.

Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
We 'forgot' to check the tyre pressures prior to the cold weather, and had the low pressure warning on all four corners - 32psi down from 36psi.
Pumped them all up - gauge said 36. Car driven and warning still there, but only on one corner which car says is 35, the others are 36.
Seems odd that the car is still showing the low pressure warning when only 1psi below recommended. Maybe a trip to the dealer for the TPMS failure problem.....:(

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 (2021) Ultimate, Eco + Tech packs, RWD 73kWh
Can I ask how controlled the emergency braking was? Bad enough to be an issue in snow?
I didn't have any need to use emergency braking. Snow mode restricts regen to level 1 which due to low speeds was enough to slow the car down.

Registered
I had to drive a bit over 2 hours through a mild snow storm last night. I lost all my front sensors pretty quickly. When I got home I had an inch thick sheet of ice on the front of the car I had to chip away. It made a lot more sense then on why they quit working.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't have any need to use emergency braking. Snow mode restricts regen to level 1 which due to low speeds was enough to slow the car down.
For me the emergency braking kicked in randomly on a snow-free part of the motorway, thankfully in the slowest lane - it didn't completely brake but slowed the car down quite significantly and then went away. Was a bit odd really, I don't know what the car thought it saw!

It also did that unpleasant (understandably so) panic-inducing chimes, same one you get when there's a collision warning, my wife didn't notice a thing though and my son was still fast asleep in the back, so I guess more disconcerting for the driver!

Registered
I had to drive in the first flurries of snow on Sat. Within about 5 mins had warnings about lane control and other features which I expect was caused by the build up of snow on the front of the car.

Registered
This is what I got efficiency wise , 100 miles in damp -2c at 65-70mph and 140 miles in snow at about 35-40mph ( was a long drive )
Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Magenta

Quite pleased as this was my first go at a cold journey , I did notice that until the battery warmed up a bit ( took about 20 miles ) the miles per kw was about 2 but after it had warmed up a bit it was around 3.5.miles per kw

I decided that as I got to my destination using 51% if I charged up 10% before I left then I should have 5-10% charge left when I got home, I did get a bit worried when the top half of the m25 was closed and I had 50 miles est range with 80 to go but managed to get to a charger before it went flat . Lesson here is to charge up if there's a chance of snow

Next time I'll choose a day when it's just cold rather than snowy to do a range test

Having awd in the snow is nice as the car is sure footed but it does take quite a while to stop. I tried out what would happen with the traction control turned off and all it did was go round in circles which is good fun for 15 minutes or so but not very good for miles per kw :)

Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
Canada RWD driver here.
All your symptoms are typical of driving a heavy car on tires that aren't really meant for snow. All Season tires are only 3-seasons less heavy rain, really. Winter tires make a HUGE difference.

The errors and phantom issues you're having are from snow building up on the sensors. Turn all those driving assists off and you'll be fine - keep the 'notification' on only.

This will be our 2nd winter with the car on winter tires and it's planted. Never had an issue with it, esp as it's weight pushes those winter tires into the snow. The issue with all seasons is their grooves get saturated with snow and behave like slicks - they're really bad at expelling snow once it builds up. If you only drive once or twice in snow per winter, rent a car with winter tires, it'll be cheaper in the long run than buying a separate set. Otherwise just put a decent set on and enjoy worry-free driving, not just snow but also in heavy rain.

Efficiency-wise, we were doing around 25kW/100km last winter in -10Cish temps, about 1/3 worse than summer.

Registered
This is what I got efficiency wise , 100 miles in damp -2c at 65-70mph and 140 miles in snow at about 35-40mph ( was a long drive )
View attachment 47076

Quite pleased as this was my first go at a cold journey , I did notice that until the battery warmed up a bit ( took about 20 miles ) the miles per kw was about 2 but after it had warmed up a bit it was around 3.5.miles per kw

I decided that as I got to my destination using 51% if I charged up 10% before I left then I should have 5-10% charge left when I got home, I did get a bit worried when the top half of the m25 was closed and I had 50 miles est range with 80 to go but managed to get to a charger before it went flat . Lesson here is to charge up if there's a chance of snow

Next time I'll choose a day when it's just cold rather than snowy to do a range test

Having awd in the snow is nice as the car is sure footed but it does take quite a while to stop. I tried out what would happen with the traction control turned off and all it did was go round in circles which is good fun for 15 minutes or so but not very good for miles per kw :)
You are all far more technical than I am but here's what I know.
Round trip to the office 84 miles
Total "winter" charge is 168 miles
Temps of 17 to 40 deg outside - heater use, no fan at 72 degrees (auto function) equals loss of approx a 3rd of the charge. Within two days charging on the wall has lost the battle. I am looking for a gas powered awd or 4wd vehicle. I feel duped in that this is not documented by hyundai in specific statistical terms. I would have bought a hybrid or a regular gas car. Additionally, similar results in the summer with air only not as severe. Almost didn't make it back to Reno from Sacramento (roseville) 115 miles with a full charge showing as 186 miles. Terrain is a big factor going to roseville I had 76 miles remaining and returning 14 miles remaining (uphill return).

Registered
I have a RWD Model 3 with winter tires. I feel more confident in snow and ice in an AWD ICE with all seasons. We live on a hill and often have trouble getting up the hill in the RWD, but the AWD takes it with barely looking traction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts