Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I will start with how I became an Ioniq owner. My first EV was a 2014 Nissan Leaf SL that I bought two years ago. I love the car with the exception of the range. Last year, we purchased a Honda Clarity PHEV. We are really enjoying that car as well. I was not in the market for a new car, but saw the news of the $79/month lease deal, and I couldn’t pass up. I am in the state of CT in the US, it is one of the states that has had Ioniq EVs on sale for a while. The word of this deal got out quickly. I kept calling about base model cars, but they always wound up sold before I could get them. Had to move up to a Limited, and move quickly. I got a very good deal on it, so I’m happy. We will be selling our Leaf.

1. I love the car. I understand what the car is trying to be. It’s trying to be the low cost electric compact sedan that looks like other cars. I think it does that really well. It’s not supposed to be a sports car, or scream “look at me, I’m an electric car!”. I’m really happy with it. Some of the stuff below are just nit picks.
  2. Accurate Range Estimator – The Leafs are where I think the term Guess O Meter originated. Range is always overstated. Clarity is accurate. Ionic seems fairly accurate, although it’s very early to really tell.
  3. I really like the safety features. Love the blind spot warning, cross detection. The adaptive cruise control seems very similar to the Clarity, but maybe a little smoother. On the other hand, the Lane Keep Assist is not nearly as good as the Clarity. On the Clarity, if you were a passenger, you would never know it was on, keeps you dead center in the lane. The Ionic wanders a little more. I think the Inoniq is a little better than the Clarity at being able to detect the lane in order to function though. One thing I can’t figure out is where it shows you what you have chosen for follow distance. Where is that shown?
  4. The stereo seems very good. Slightly better than my other cars.
  5. Leather – Is it really leather? It seems very hard. Looks and feels a little cheap to me. Not impressed with it. The steering wheel is worse. Way too slick in my opinion. Has anyone treated the steering wheel with anything to improve the grip?
  6. Seats – The driver power seat adjustments are very good. All the seats seem too firm to me though. One great thing about the drivers seat, I’m 6’4” and I don’t have to put the seat all the way back! That is rare in cars for me.
  7. Electronic Doors – So it’s very cool how when the car senses you coming, it extends the mirrors, and turns the light on in the handle. It would be so much cooler if it unlocked the door for you too! I know in some cases you would not want it to do that, so it would have to be a setting. Also, I prefer the Honda unlock method of unlocking when you put your hand inside the handle rather than having to press the button.
  8. Charging plug – Ugh. First, the location. Why at the back of the car? This is subjective, but I think it belongs in the front. I don’t want to have to back into a charging space. Even worse though is that STUPID plastic port cover on a string. WHY??!!! Aweful
  9. Infotainment – It seems pretty complete. I admit it seems a little unintuitive to me? I am having a tough time figuring out things without going to the manual. Although I haven’t had much time to really judge. Seems like it has good EV energy useage information. The Clarity falls flat there.
  10. Apps – BluLink is not working for me yet, so I can’t comment on it yet. Seems like a full featured app from looking at the documentation. I really like the Blulink online site. That has really useful information. Realtime charging information and provides the ability to allow you to stop the charging when you see it’s at a desired percentage.
  11. No Heated Steering Wheel Available in US! Before I had it on the Leaf, I thought it was silly. It’s a great thing in the winter. It’s strange how certain things are available in some countries and not others.
  12. The fact that the car leaves the stereo on for you until you open the door takes getting used to. It made me wonder if I really shut it off! But I think it’s a nice feature. The car seems to have a lot of small things like that that are nice. Another one is that it moves the seat back when you turn it off so that it’s easier to get out.
Well I haven’t spent too much time in it so far, so that’s all for now. Thanks! I think this lease deal in the US is bringing a lot of new owners like me to this forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great post! As a former Leaf owner I really do appreciate the comparison while I'm still waiting for vehicle delivery.

What type of EVSE was included with your vehicle? 110 only?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great post! As a former Leaf owner I really do appreciate the comparison while I'm still waiting for vehicle delivery.

What type of EVSE was included with your vehicle? 110 only?
Thanks! Yes, the plug is for 110 only. I know the EVSEs for some cars are capable to be converted to use 240, but I have not read anything about that with the Ioniq.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How well do the heated seats work? Do they warm, or do they turn off for a while as the Leaf used to do?

How come BlueLink isn't working yet?

·
Registered
221 Posts
How well do the heated seats work? Do they warm, or do they turn off for a while as the Leaf used to do?
If they're the same as the ones in my PHEV then they get almost hot on the high setting. Typically I turn them on high for a quick start and then down to low once I'm comfortable. In my 30 minute commute they haven't turned off on me yet, I have yet to do a long cold weather drive so can't say if they stay on indefinitely.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Mark W. Great post. You're right, the Ioniq is a brilliant family car that can still perform when you put your foot down.

I always put a cover on my steering wheels.

When you've done a few average journeys, the car will learn your driving style and the guessometer will be accurate to within a mile or two. I once drove down to the wire and it predicted I would have 5 miles left when I arrived home. It was actually 6, so not bad over a 120 mile journey.

I personally prefer reversing into parking spaces. I think it's safer than reversing out into moving vehicles. Have to agree about the charging caps though. I put the cap in the charging well so it doesn't flap about in the wind and cause micro scratches.

The infotainment system is better than some I've seen. The GPS works OK but the list of chargers is sadly lacking. I've nearly driven past chargers that are shown on ABRP but not on the Ioniq screen. I've now stored my favourite chargers in the address book of the GPS so I can get to them from anywhere I happen to find myself.

I hope you have as much fun in yours as I do in mine. It's a joy to drive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

How come BlueLink isn't working yet?
Hi,
On my Leaf, the seat heaters never turned off, but the heated steering wheel did turn off after a while, is that what you are referring to? It has not been cold enough here to test out the seat heaters on the Ionic.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree. My comments on the Ioniq EV Base. This is my first EV. I have a Suburban and a Chrysler Hemi. I said I would never own one and one drive I was sold. I am a Mechanical Engineer and this car is awesome. It is done right and feels much bigger than it is. The $79 deal was a no brainer. An EV for 1/2 price is a steal, period.

1. It has plenty of power. I love the regen brake controls. I can build up an extra mile going down a hill. I love the brake hold too. Very handy feature.
  2. The ride is very good. It is not like a econo-box ride at all and I have rented many. The ride is almost luxury mid size feeling.
  3. It has made my wife like cars! She has never been a car girl but this thing has made her an EV expert! I have always been a car guy. So now we have more to talk about.
  4. Heating is very good and quick. It does use power though, about 20 miles of range.
  5. The cloth interior seems very durable and the seats are comfy. I seem to be able to adjust them perfectly.
  6. Heated seats work great. I tried them this AM. Not too much energy penalty either.
  7. Rear leg room, head and shoulder room is fantastic. I let my kids drive and I sat in the back. I am not a tiny guy either but had plenty of room.
  8. I love the displays. I think they are too bright and turned them down a lot. All the information I want is there.
  9. Definitely an issue with Airplay using a connected bluetooth connected iphone. It seems to not know which way to go. I have not disabled bluetooth yet on the phone to see if that solves it. I am sure it will. I tried my wifes phone with Airplay and mine connected by BT and it was not happy and could not figure out what to do. The bluetooth calling is crystal clear and probably better than my Chrysler.
  10. For a base radio the sound is great. Thumping base if you want it.
  11. Charging plug – "that STUPID plastic port cover on a string"....I can see that breaking off and it just hangs there when you charge it.
  12. BluLink, although basic, is handy. I like to tinker with it. I want more tech-y stuff on it though!
  13. Steering wheel leather feels great and makes you feel like you are driving a truly $30+ car.
  14. We have been averaging 4.8 W/M and have achieved 5.2 over 14 miles.
  15. The out the door pricing was so amazing. Now, I need to pick a vanity plate.

·
Registered
475 Posts
With electricity prices in Connecticut being among the highest in the US, and current gas prices being steadily well below $3/gallon, I’m wondering what savings you get per mile driving the EV vs. HEV? Did you compare it to initial and operating costs of your vehicle compared to Ioniq HEV?
I would find it highly annoying to have the range limited to 120 miles and planning 40 minute recharges beyond that. No go for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did some math based on Maine prices. Our electricity is very high too, $0.18+ per kWh residential. It must be calc’d to see if there is a return or savings. Our gas is running at $ 2.50/gallon right now. That equates to the EV being equal to about 57 MPG since it will use $ 5.26 worth of power (or the financial equivalent of 2 + gallons of gas) to fully charge and goes about 120 miles. I will bet it really goes more than 120 and that makes it even better. So that’s just over 2 gallons of gas at $2.50. So a car that gets 57 MPG is equal. Nothing that I know of gets that good but the hybrid is close. If gas is $3.00 it equates to 68 MPG. $3.50=78mpg etc. The more gas goes up the better the MPG of the EV and the quicker it pays for itself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the incentives were on the Hydrid, I certainly would have considered one, but the EV being $16700 cost after rebates was the better deal for me. The EV will save more as gas goes to $3.00/gallon. The Hybrid is very good but will cost more as gas gets more expensive, electricity is pretty steady. One of the better options is the amount of free charging, Nearly 50% of the stations in my area are free. So that can truly equate to to over 100 MPG. My company may be offering charging to employees next year. It worked out to a charge of $.14/kWh if they charge to get a return on the stations, so that will be equivalent to about 76.5 MPG if gas stays at 2.50 or 91.8 MPG at $3.00/gallon. Only time will tell. The super fast chargers can be up to .35/KW so that works in the opposite direction. At 76.5 I would save $114/mo over my current fleet. At 91.8=$144/month. Free charging would be awesome at [email protected]$2.5 [email protected]/month saved. I just cannot sit somewhere for 4 hours though waiting for the free charge. Maybe I can convince the wife to do it, but she would shop for the 4 hours and cancel out the savings for sure!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good answers nburd. I am in CT and went through similar calculations when I had my Leaf. The Ionic EV is much more efficient with electricity than the Leaf. Free charging also factors in, but not much for me, as there are not too many free chargers convenient to me. The crazy lease deals and rebates are what moved the EV as more economical for me. Also, the maintenance of an EV is much lower than a hybrid. On top of all the economic benefits, I just much prefer the smooth feel of electric driving vs. a hybrid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree 100%. If there was no incentive it would not make sense for me with 2 cars that I own and not have payments on. I do agree about the torque and smoothness of the car. It is like nothing I have ever driven. The drivetrain is so “smooth”. I cannot describe it. There is no vibration or interior mechanical sounds. No shifts, jolts or any type of anything. Press and go. Anyway, in 3 years if it’s been great, I will certainly buy it out. If not I will turn it in and will have spent $2900 for a nice car to drive over the previous 3 years And hopefully saved at least that amount in fuel and maintenance. I certainly hope it is great enough to buy! Think of the dilemma Hyundai has now with the 2020s and 2019 inventory as well as used stock. Wow, 40-50 miles more range! The most efficient regular car, ever, just got better. They are going to sell like hot cakes. As an engineer I am going to look for ways to supplement battery capacity or battery life to see if I can make my ‘19 go farther. I already have some Ideas......we will see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is the essential discussion, right? So with our three year lease on an 2019 Ionic Electric, we've decided to keep track of our expenses and experiences. When our lease is up, will we want to buy this Ioniq or update to newer technology -- or back to gasoline? I'm keeping track of this weekly (sort of) on an Instagram account. Here's a link to a spreadsheet I'll continue to update with related expenses.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have already started recording as well. I do not follow instagram but will keep records and share periodically with the forum. I have been researching a lot over the last 7 days of ownership. For example, for a long battery life you should charge at around a 20% level to full and not via fast DC. We are now planning vehicle usage to attempt to try and follow this recommendation. I did see a troubling “small print” about the lifetime battery warranty that you all should know. It is voided on leases! They must assume leases will abuse them. That may be a major factor in keeping it beyond 3 years. So tracking degradation will be important in that final purchase decision. Also, the battery as a Hyundai part is $16,500 plus install. I do think that Hyundai does everything possible to keep batteries happy so it may not be an issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
longing sigh, count yourselves lucky. I'm currently paying €0.35/kWh (averaged over yearly day and night usage). 18 cents is but a pipe dream...
Yes, but your gas is a lot more than $2.50 per gallon as well so it will be great to hear your results. Some places in the US are paying 7-8 cents per KWH.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts