Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm having issues with the regen - every now and then when I start the car I get an error mentioning that the regen system isn't working and the smart recuperation gets disabled. I've noticed that recently the response time of the regen is slower - before if I took my foot off the accelerator it would immediately slow down the car. Now there's a 2 second delay which makes 1 pedal driving difficult.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Lol, creep behaves like a normal automatic transmission car. I came from a manual though, and I don't like it either. :-(
Given the large British membership here, manual transmissions are the norm. And of course the normal transmission worldwide until automatic hydraulic transmissions became popular in the US in the 1950's. Energy wasting transmissions with an unavoidable creep function that though undesirable, became familiar and now apparently preferred.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The auto-hold on my DSG VW Golf means that it effectively turns creep off. Roll up to a junction, release the break, and it stays motionless, on a flat or incline. The Auto-hold just stays on, unless you actively turn it off.

Is this not how it works in the Ioniq?

·
Registered
Ioniq Premium SE 2020
108 Posts
The auto-hold on my DSG VW Golf means that it effectively turns creep off. Roll up to a junction, release the break, and it stays motionless, on a flat or incline. The Auto-hold just stays on, unless you actively turn it off.

Is this not how it works in the Ioniq?
It's the other way round on the Ioniq. Stays off unless you turn it on, each time you start the car. But it does work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anyone tried using smart regen and comparing efficiency against using regen 1, 2 or 3?
From a pure physics point of view regen 1 must be more efficient than 3 unless you are braking very hard. It's always better to keep the power in the battery than to use it up and try to reclaim it.
It's different in a Tesla though I believe as braking doesn't regenerate, so a higher level of regen would always be preferable to using the brakes.
I've noticed too that even with regen at level 0, it does seem to keep your speed quite constant depending on the decline. Ie of you lift off on a downhill bit, you'll get about 1-4kw of regen but speed will stay quite constant so the car doesn't run away with you, if it's uphill you'll get no regen and speed will drop. So there is something "smart" going on there.

·
Registered
Ioniq Premium SE 2020
108 Posts
By Smart, do you mean Auto? I've got the Auto regen turned on with default regen set to 1. It stays on 1 but when I am coming up behind some traffic, it will increase the regen to 2 or 3 and slow me down almost to an automated stop.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tried smart regen for a few days last week - didn't like it.

Smart regen starts at whatever level you select and only goes up from or down to that level, never below.
If you select level 3, smart regen won't do anything. It's best used with level 0.

What it does is fairly simple: based on the gps (i guess), it will up the regen level when approaching intersections and such to help you brake.

In theory, it's all good. In practice, not so much:

1) It brakes super late, and generally just goes from 0->3 before slowly going back down.
2) Since it goes to full power suddenly, it's not a smooth ride at all.
3) It's never going to stop completely, it just slows you down. Sometimes it slows down too little (car in front) and sometimes too much (don't actually need to stop) but since the regen level is always changing, it's hard to use the accelerator pedal correctly to keep the ride smooth.
4) I got pretty bad efficiency results, but the weather was also pretty bad so auto regen might not be to blame.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have mine on level one with auto, find it quite good, does slow a bit quick when following slowing vehicles, but I just rest my foot on accelerator and find it eases off okay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm at the end of my first week with my 38kwh Premium, I've been using the paddles to manage the regen instead of braking, I run with 0 on flat roads and when downhill, using paddles to up the regen as a method of gently braking, then holding the + paddle to bring the car to a halt (with hill hold to keep the car stationary). So far the car is reporting 4mi/kw so it's similar to what folk are reporting here for winter use in the UK. Interested to know if its worth getting up to speed quickly then coasting on 0 regen, compared to gently accelerating up to cruising speeds?

·
Registered
5 Posts
By Smart, do you mean Auto? I've got the Auto regen turned on with default regen set to 1. It stays on 1 but when I am coming up behind some traffic, it will increase the regen to 2 or 3 and slow me down almost to an automated stop.
am sure that’s the same; Hyundai calls it ‘smart recuperation’ , it’s in the menu Semi ‘buried’ in the driver convenience menu and of all the different regen options I’ve tried, for me anyhow, more easy to live with day-to-day and so far in the two months I’ve the car I’ve seen 5mpkw (today in 10 degree) so it does seem worth a try if anyone is feeling adventurous. next Long trip I take I intend to compare by having regen on zero and slipstreaming (safely!) happy days

·
Registered
Ioniq Premium SE 2020
108 Posts
Quick question regarding playing videos on the Ioniq whilst charging. I downloaded a 720p MP4 onto a memory stick and it plays fine but I can't get it to fill the screen. Has anybody been able to get if full screen and if so, what format, resolution did you have?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quick question regarding playing videos on the Ioniq whilst charging. I downloaded a 720p MP4 onto a memory stick and it plays fine but I can't get it to fill the screen. Has anybody been able to get if full screen and if so, what format, resolution did you have?
It does on mine after about 10 seconds, also move the small onscreen display to the side.

·
Registered
Ioniq Premium SE 2020
108 Posts
It does on mine after about 10 seconds, also move the small onscreen display to the side.
Yeah, I can get it to go 'full screen' but the video itself is not scaling to the fill the screen and there is quite a large black border around the image. So I was wondering if it was to do with the 720p resolution? I'll test something that is in 1080p.

Out of interest, does anybody know what the native screen resolution is on the display?

·
Registered
Iconiq plug in. 2019
5 Posts
Surely it’s tantamount to watching TV as you drive so therefore legally not permitted,
I know you can glance at the Sat nav and other instruments while you drive but that’s
For a very brief moment and shouldn’t distract you from your driving,
If you mean when parked up then i apologise, Just so many accidents are caused by distractions,

·
Registered
Ioniq Premium SE 2020
108 Posts
Surely it’s tantamount to watching TV as you drive so therefore legally not permitted,
I know you can glance at the Sat nav and other instruments while you drive but that’s
For a very brief moment and shouldn’t distract you from your driving,
If you mean when parked up then i apologise, Just so many accidents are caused by distractions,
Lol, yes if you read above, I mention that it is while charging at a public charger. I currently don't have a home charger so have to use public ones and sometimes a good movie can pass the time quite adequately! What's more, it won't let you play the video whilst in drive mode.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts