Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait... I finally got my Ioniq Hybrid Premium in Marina Blue couple of days ago....

The car was ready end of March but I delayed delivery due to being away with the family over the Easter holidays.

My first impressions of the car are really good. Looks good, superb colour (everyone commented on how good it looks), lots of toys and features to play with. Specially love the Electric quiet start up!

Couple of questions for you experienced guys:

1. Acceleration on Eco mode seems rather sluggish between 0-30mph. Also as soon as I press foot a lil bit down, it goes from EV to ICE mode. Presume this is the same with everyone. But the question is does it get better as the engine gets run in a bit? Its slightly annoying as one would expect the acceleration with electric only mode/motor to be good.

2. Still learning the media system and its controls. But one thing I cam across is that there is no easy to way to traverse the media system menu using steering controls only. I seem to have to press something on the touch screen to enter a specific option (media, radio, nav, etc) and then also to traverse through different screens etc. Is this normal or am I missing a trick? In my previous car (Vectra Elite), I used to be able to pretty much control the complete media unit/sat nav from steering controls only if I wanted.

Fuel economy is sitting around 55-56 mpg (UK) but its only had couple of small runs so far.

Early days but enjoying the overall experience.....

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
don't forget the electric motor on the hybrid is only 43HP, so quite low, the EV and plugin get bigger electric motors

you will soon get used to either, gently pulling away on electric, or give it a bit more right foot to bet it moving and up to speed then ease of and flip into EV mode

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah... there definitely going to be as much get up and go as you would hope for but that's where the engine comes into play to get you moving. Are you doing any sort of break-in process?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome enjoylife and yes the Marina Blue is a great colour, I've had lots of comments too about my same colour too. You will find that it's such an easy car to drive and all of the toys are great. Reversing up hill in electric is quite interesting as you just appear to be quietly rolling up hill. Spooky.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't forget the electric motor on the hybrid is only 43HP, so quite low, the EV and plugin get bigger electric motors

you will soon get used to either, gently pulling away on electric, or give it a bit more right foot to bet it moving and up to speed then ease of and flip into EV mode
Agreed. So which is the more preferred option. I have tried both n they do work but is one better for general day to day use than other? Would be interested to know what other Ioniq users do each time for initial acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Agreed. So which is the more preferred option. I have tried both n they do work but is one better for general day to day use than other? Would be interested to know what other Ioniq users do each time for initial acceleration.
It depends on the situation . If I need a burst of power to get off a busy junction or join a busy motorway , I sometimes go into Sport to match the traffic flow if required . Normally I sedately get up to speed and let the EV do the work as much as possible . The Ioniq is an excellent and frugal car . It's certainly as quick as most other family cars and popular SUVs . Remember though , that it's not a magic bullet . The heavier you you are on the loud pedal , as bc calls it , the worse the fuel efficiency . It's basic physics really ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome enjoylife and yes the Marina Blue is a great colour, I've had lots of comments too about my same colour too. You will find that it's such an easy car to drive and all of the toys are great. Reversing up hill in electric is quite interesting as you just appear to be quietly rolling up hill. Spooky.
There's a road near Ayr in Scotland called The Electric Brae I think, the topography is such that you appear to be going downhill but when left to roll unpowered, your car rolls uphill, very surreal experience. Sounds like I might get to re experience it with my ioniq!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I find with a warm battery with more charge it will stay in EV longer generally. But yes you do have to be fairly light footed. In town traffic it's fine. When pulling away from a junction into traffic invariably the ICE will kick in

As for turning the AV on you can press the button that is a circle made up of arrows to cycle through the AV options. If the radio or whatever is off then this will turn it on. You can remove unwanted option in the settings of the AV unit to remove any you don't need. I took a few out can't remember which now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
What he said ^^

I was just about to say that and the 'home' screen is fully customisable for quick access to your top 'apps'. I think it may be purposely difficult so you are not checking out things like graphs and drive info while you're driving or messing about with sound settings. Even the data / options in the dash digital display are limited while driving. There's a lot you can pre-setup though so you can just use your toggle buttons on steering wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts