Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

So....

The other day, It continued. Same problems... jerking, shuddering and hesitating (misfiring) while gas engine (ICE) is engaged. It happened after I got fuel... Again at a totally different gas station, like each time getting fuel.
Losing faith in my vehicle at this point. 2,345 miles on the odometer. This will be it’s 4th time in the service shop at my dealership, since I purchased it a month and a half ago. It's now been in the dealership 23 days since I took ownership on November 6th....

Shortly after starting the recurring issues the same diagnostic messages came on... The first reading "a problem with the engine control system," and the second "multiple possible conditions have occurred."

I have officially started the buy back procedures with Hyundai Motor America in hopes to replace my vehicle with another one just like it, my service manager and representative encouraged me to do so... They further have no clue what's going on with my ioniq.

Not sure how much more information I will be allowed to disclose in the future legally... but just thought you all might want to know that it occurred again. From what my service manager says, the process with Hyundai motor america will give me two or three different options once the process starts and should really go above and beyond to help me.

Currently in an auto start/stop 17' Chevrolet Malibu. Hoping this all works out quickly and smoothly.... because this grocery getting Malibu is the worst. haha.

·
Super Moderator
2,128 Posts
Probably the best course of action to get it replaced . I think you'd be very unlucky if you have a problem with a replacement Ioniq

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ugh I'm really sorry to hear you have to go through buy-back. Please share any details of that process you can. My car also has been in the shop quite a bit in its first 2k miles, and I am anxious that if something goes wrong again I'll have to take the rational choice and do that as well. Its a secondary car for my family and I don't drive it daily, so I dont know at what point I'll feel confident that its 100% working!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
To update everyone, today I drove by the dealer to see if my car had moved from where they placed it in the overnight lot for service the day I returned it (12/20/17) due to the issues I keep having... It hasn't moved since the day it arrived for the 4th time in two months for the recurring mechanical/engine failure. I know this... well for one its been where it's been every time I happen to pass my local dealership and because I decided to test and see if the car battery was still functional. (It's been 12 degrees at night here in Alabama and barely above 32 degrees during the day.) I tried to lock my car via blue-link and it says that my commands from blue-link (app) aren't available at this time. It won't even connect to the vehicle to check its status, via blue link error message.

I also spoke with a Hyundai Consumer Affairs case processor today, and she asked me about if the vehicle was in my possession... location of the vehicle, what my concerns were etc... meaning she hadn't even looked over the thirty page document of each occurrence, conversation with service department and failed repairs that I had been sending consumer affairs religiously... she had no clue about the copies of maintenance records from my service department which I sent... but she did have a copy of the diagnostic images... this means they have had these on file but haven't looked much into it at all since 11/30/17 when I contact them for the first time. Im afraid to say much else, but I did explain I wanted to replace it with the exact same car, but she acted hesitant until she did more "research."

From my experience with corporate Hyundai and blue-link, at this point, I feel they need to do some major overhauling because their "quality assurance" has been less than desirable.

I still applaud my dealership though when they actually do get in touch with them they let me know asap and have treated me with the best care they can!

lol... the saga continues I guess, will update y'all further if I can!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well you all, they think they have a "lead."

They believe now, the problem to be coming from an "over saturated" fuel canister. They asked if I had ever over filled the fuel tank, and I replied no, because I haven't. I always take the fuel nozzle out from the first initial kickback because I had heard that It's bad for vehicles... I started not topping off my vehicle in 2012 when my then Mazda dealer told me, when I purchased my car, that it was bad to "top off" on the newer model vehicles.

I also reminded the dealer that it acted this way when they delivered it to me back in November and I initially just thought it was because it was a hybrid and they drove different than a standard vehicle. (Little did I know.) I also have a witness that picked the car up with me that day, and experienced the mechanical problems I'm having. Thank goodness, because I trust Hyundai Motors America Corporate about as much as I trust gas station sushi. They literally conferenced called me with a supervisor to argue and give vague answers. HMA has largely lost my trust and faith, with not only how they handle me, but how they avoid any questions they don't think you deserve an answer to.

The "Canister" is on back order, so they have no idea when the part will be here to test the theory they have. Could be 4 days, it could be 2 months, no one really knows, just that it's ordered. Even then they will have more test to do and I haven't had my car in 28 days since its most recent going back for the same issue. Over-all since November my vehicle has been in the shop as of today, 46 days.

They have denied it for lemon law because it "doesn't qualify" for my states lemon law... (which is in fact a lie) Alabama Code - Section 8-20A- section 1 through 6 clearly states the car is lemon law worthy.

It's been in the shop 3 or more times for the same issue as well as 30 or more cumulative days, the issue was reported around 1400 miles well under the mileage/date deadline to report major malfunction.

Hyundai hasn't offered any compensation for the loss of use for my vehicle to date except a "good faith repurchase" which leaves me without a vehicle entirely. (My Ioniq is the only car I own.) At least now, my warranty includes a provided rental. I would have to pay "usage" fee's for a vehicle Ive barely driven and get zero reimbursements from my purchase/transaction if I understand correctly because they've answered questions so vaguely. Of course I declined that offer. Not only does it put me at even more of an inconvenience, but it almost is unethical because the title wouldn't be marked as a problematic vehicle at all. I love my vehicle, I just want it to work... If I had to pick it out again I would, If I knew it was reliable.

The only good thing about this ordeal is my service department, they have been fantastic and have kept me in the loop and provided me with all the resources they can. If it was up to HMA corporate, I'd probably be walking. They win with the most unprofessional communication and customer skills I have ever experienced.

To give ya'll some numbers

Times brought in to service, no C.E.L. or Diagnostic message: 1
Times in service: 4
Dates in service:

♣ November 18th – November 21st, 2017.
misdiagnosed/failed attempt/reoccurred
♣ November 29th – December 1st, 2017.
♣ December 1st – December 11th, 2017

Cumulative: 18 days

♣ December 20th – present, 2018
TBD

Current & Consecutive: 28 days

This comes to a total of 46 days in service, mind you the vehicle only has around 2300 miles put on it since November 2017 and I purchased it with about a half a thousand on the odometer and they have test driven the vehicle for a good amount each time the vehicle has to go back in. So I'm at large paying for them to figure out why my vehicle and others like it are malfunctioning.

Anyway, thought you all would be interested in an update. The dealer given rental sonata is my vehicle for now. Thankful for a vehicle to drive at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure what happened to my original reply from my smartphone, so if this is duplicated, I apologise :)

Sorry to hear about all your issues. We had similar experiences with Hyundai, although the service we got from our dealers wasn't as good as the service you appear to be getting. We had similar symptoms to you, but it was never as a result of refueling, only full acceleration - not harsh enough to appear as "aggressive" though, from what I can remember. Could the refueling be coincidental? I'm not sure how easy it is to inspect the head with an endoscope without stripping it down. Maybe that is why they haven't checked the head (I assume)? I struggle to believe that our head was the only one manufactured with that fault though, and the symptoms seem the same....

As Bluecar has stated before, we have had no further issues since the head replacement, and we were initially told it was injectors, sensors etc. which were replaced without effect. (Other than a minor argument between my wife and a fence post, but I can't blame Hyundai for that one :-( )

I hope you get it sorted soon, keep us posted, it will be interesting to hear what the final outcome is.
Happy New Year from the UK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor mpg

I bought a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid with Eco boost and I too love it. What I don't love is the fuel economy I was promised. I've complained of this since I purchased the vehicle. I have just under 6000 miles now and I bought the car in May of 2017. I'm currently getting 28.1 mpg. and live in cold Ohio. The best mpg I got on this vehicle was in the summer of 54.1 and this was only once. When I ask the dealership about it, they have no answers other than it must be the way I'm driving, that I have air conditioning on, or it may need a break-in period, or I should contact corporate headquarters. When contacting corporate, they too said it depends on how I drive the vehicle. Well, on purpose, I've been driving easy and keeping the air off trying to get the 54-55 mpg I was promised. Doesn't make a difference at all. Where's the fuel economy promised? Since getting the car, I've averaged 33.1 over the life of the vehicle as I've tracked all my miles and fuel purchases etc. I was told Hyundai stands behind their fuel estimate when I purchased this car; that Hyundai wouldn't put fuel economy on the vehicle that it wasn't confident it would get. Well to say the least, I'm very disappointed. Any ideas on this issue? Also, I've also had a few incidents where when starting the vehicle, it didn't go through the entire start up and when put in drive on flat surface, the car rolled in reverse. This has happened at least four times since purchasing the car. Anyone else have this issue. Dealership can't find anything wrong here either.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had the MIL ( Malfunction indicator lamp ) come up this morning while driving to work.

Have booked in with the dealer for a check on Friday..

Car seems to be working okay but probably safer to use my other car for the next two days ..:-(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jeffersonology.... I hope you've gotten this issue worked out one way or the other. Just curious, where in AL are you located? The reason I ask is, I'm also in Alabama (Huntsville/Madison) and considering an SEL. I've been dealing with Bentley Hyundai in Huntsville and to this point, it's been a really good experience, and loved test driving a couple SELs. But I've been reading more negatives than expected on this forum from owners, so now wondering if I should get rid of a perfectly good '02 Jetta TDI on trade that's been very reliable and a great car from day one, but getting to the point where it's requiring more and more maintenance/attention...not to mention diesel prices continuing to rise.

ajiom.... I have a friend who lives just outside Douglas. I'd love to visit IOM sometime!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Jeffersonology.... I hope you've gotten this issue worked out one way or the other. Just curious, where in AL are you located? The reason I ask is, I'm also in Alabama (Huntsville/Madison) and considering an SEL. I've been dealing with Bentley Hyundai in Huntsville and to this point, it's been a really good experience, and loved test driving a couple SELs. But I've been reading more negatives than expected on this forum from owners, so now wondering if I should get rid of a perfectly good '02 Jetta TDI on trade that's been very reliable and a great car from day one, but getting to the point where it's requiring more and more maintenance/attention...not to mention diesel prices continuing to rise.

ajiom.... I have a friend who lives just outside Douglas. I'd love to visit IOM sometime!
Anybody with a problem will gravitate to a forum, but the vast majority with no problem will not. So depending on the total number of cars sold, 100 faults, for instance, could represent 1% of total sales.

Personally II would opt for the new Ioniq. It is very unlikely you will experience issues, while on the other hand, the joy of owning and driving an Ioniq will give you and your wallet great pleasure.;)

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
@Ballyshannon forums like these often have more negatives than expected due to the fact many people only look for a model specific when they have a problem

most people om here are very happy with their Ioniqs

which negatives are you seeing more than expected ? mpg?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had the MIL ( Malfunction indicator lamp ) come up this morning while driving to work.

Have booked in with the dealer for a check on Friday..

Car seems to be working okay but probably safer to use my other car for the next two days ..:-(
Was checked over by the dealer on Friday and they think that its a issue with the camshaft sensor.

They have ordered it and it has arrived today ( not bad considering that I am on an Island.

Will drop of car tomorrow in the morning and hopefully it will fix the issue. :-(

Will post the outcome tomorrow .

In retrospect , I wonder if the lowish mpg I have had was due to an issue with the sensor from the beginning..

I don't drive much and have only done around 1400 miles in the last 10 months since I bought the car.

The maximum mpg I got was around 40 mpg. ( mostly short trips of 2 miles or so and a weekly longer trip of 20 miles )

·
Registered
411 Posts
Was checked over by the dealer on Friday and they think that its a issue with the camshaft sensor.

They have ordered it and it has arrived today ( not bad considering that I am on an Island.

Will drop of car tomorrow in the morning and hopefully it will fix the issue. :-(

Will post the outcome tomorrow .

In retrospect , I wonder if the lowish mpg I have had was due to an issue with the sensor from the beginning..

I don't drive much and have only done around 1400 miles in the last 10 months since I bought the car.

The maximum mpg I got was around 40 mpg. ( mostly short trips of 2 miles or so and a weekly longer trip of 20 miles )
Hi ajiom and all

I saw codes suggesting camshaft sensor (position actuator) P0011. Did the new sensor correct your problem?
They have swapped all four injectors on my car.

I am worried about collecting my car which is 25 miles away and only getting halfway home and the dealer refusing to take the car back again.
Given the number of people who have had that done without resolving the problem... My engine was built for delivery in July 2017, which is the approx date of the car which had the head replaced.

There is only one MAF sensor which means that 3 cylinders will receive the correct amount of fuel and the 3rd cylinder with only one port cut correctly gets severely over fuelled.

When the ICE is running I see a max of 50mpg on the instantaneous display on the right of the dash. Does every hybrid/Plugin hybrid driver get that when the car is in HEV mode.???

How do I prove that the dealer has tested the fix before I take a 2 hour trip to pick up the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm actually sitting in the dealership now because of this same issue. My car is a year old 5 months in check engine light said it was the converter. 3 months later check engine light they say it's the o2. It has maybe 3-5 and the shutting/jerkering/hesitation started getting really bad, it's a cylinder 3 misfire. So I would say next time you are driving try and stay under highway speeds and get your car there don't shut it off, it should pop up the code for a cylinder misfire.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Update: This has been nothing short of a nightmare.

Picked up the vehicle Friday after they replaced all fuel injectors and the oxygen sensor again. Service department said they had driven the vehicle three times no issues.

A few miles later first hesitation occurred. Continued on the drive home, C.E.L. re-appeared, with first diagnostic messages saying there had been problem with the engine control module, second saying my vehicle had multiple issues and to schedule a service at my convenience, just like the previous two times these mechanical failures occurred. Soon after, My ioniq hybrid started jerking and hesitating worse than before and could barely hold 30mph. Pulled over, vehicle kept misfiring and almost dying, finally made it to a well-lit parking lot and called roadside, was too afraid to get on the highway with it. Roadside arrived an hour later, after calling and being extremely rude to me. This all happened within three hours of just picking up the "fixed" vehicle from the service department at my local Hyundai dealer.

The next day I went to pick up a loaner and the service department hadn't even received the vehicle in the allotted time the tow truck driver stated that it would arrive (between 9 and 10am.) I became suspicious and called the local towing company and it just so happened that the blue-link representative handling my occurrence forgot to put the codes in to have the vehicle towed from the storage lot that it had to stay at overnight back to the dealer. Called blue-link around 12pm and they said they took care of it and would send a confirmation of it getting where it needed to go. Six hours later, no confirmation, called blue-link AGAIN (around 6pm), and they had still not corrected the issue. So my representative (Vanessa) finally handled it personally and states she has got the job done. We will find out. My vehicle sits in a storage lot until monday at 8am because of Blue-link having communication/representative issues.

I am so distraught, I do not know what to do, I have contacted Hyundai Motor Group America through multiple channels and I get no responses. To name a few, Email, Facebook, Instagram, and now Snapchat. I just want my car fixed, I love the vehicle, but no one at the service department can seem to diagnose the problem. It also seems the regional rep is completely unconcerned and unaware of the same issue occurring on multiple other vehicles like mine. I have told the service department at my local Hyundai about the cylinder head issues I see on this forum and I feel their hands are tied through the warranty reps and regional managers on what to do. Im losing trust that my vehicle is going to be fixed in a quality, up to speed manner.

I purchased a new vehicle a month ago, and its been in the shop 3 out of the 4 weeks Ive had it and still has less than two thousand miles on the odometer. (1822 to be exact.) Im so tired of loaner vehicles that have the bare minimum of options when I purchased a fully loaded vehicle, my first payment comes up this month and I haven't even driven the vehicle for one solid week.

This is a disaster, I love Hyundai, but they need to right this issue... It's certainly out of hand. Hyundai Owners assurance pledge is to have "exceptional customer service and owner satisfaction." Im hopeful that eventually this pledge will come through... They also state that "Our goal is to give you one-on-one, personalized service and provide you with the best possible solution in the shortest amount of time. That’s our commitment to you" Im not sure what's going on, but I certainly do not feel they back this claim at this point in time. Its extremely disheartening, because I truly do believe in Hyundai. They have always provided my family with quality, service and care. Until now.
I think it is time to invoke the Lemon Law.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the IDENTICAL issue.. Cylinder 3 misfire P0303 error..
It started after I stepped on the gas quite hard.. Argh! I am so upset now..
Mine is continuous - the car vibrates and shakes like crazy.
I cleaned all spark plugs it did not help. But the 3rd spark plug was all black.

Mine is a non-plugin hybrid of 2018.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Followup: I switched the spark plugs between cylinder 2 and 3.. And the ODB code changed to "Cylinder 2 problem" :) I am very happy that it's just a spark plug that stopped working..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts