Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am new to the forum!

I LOVE my new white Ioniq hybrid limited. I hand picked it out, the vehicle is gorgeous.

But day 1 upon delivery it had a weird shudder/hesitation after the dealer fueled it up for me.

Flash forward two weeks, I fill the Ioniq with fuel and after I did so, the same but more harsh shudders and hesitations apppear. However, It doesn't throw any CEL or diagnostic messages

Flash forward another week, the same occurrences happen about the same intensity level and then the vehicle throws out a CEL and diagnostic message that reads "a possible condition with your engine control system has been detected. A full system check is recommended."

Vehicle was taken to dealer, dealer stated it was a bad oxygen (o2) sensor, replaced it under warranty and there were no issues. When I drove away.

I filled the car with fuel and AGAIN today, these same issues now happen but worse in intensity. After doing it progressively more often after 15 minutes, the vehicle threw another CEL and diagnostic that reads "a possible condition with your engine control system has been detected. A full system check is recommended."

Flash forward to turning the car back on to see if the CEL and diagnostic message is cleared, the diagnostic message now reads "Multiple possible conditions have occurred with your vehicle. A full system check is recommended when convenient."

Each time after refueling at 3 completely different gas stations, the mileage started to go down, then the car shudders and hesitates and eventually throws the CEL and a diagnostic message. HELP! Anyone have similar issues??

My car was purchased less than a month ago. I only have 1,749 miles on the car and it's already going to be in the shop twice in one month!!

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
we have had only 2 actual engine faults

one was faulty injectors replaced and all good, the other was a fault with one of the valve ports in the head

is there anything you can think common between the faults? hard acceleration (was an indicator for the head fault) or anything else other than a refuel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only after fueling the vehicle every single time does it shudder, jerk and hesitate... after i purchased it. my driving score is 0 aggressive 80 eco 20 normal.

Every single time it changes over to ICE it jerks like riding a bull. Im in the service department now for a second time.

It also CANNOT be bad fuel, because its been 4 different gas stations for its entire life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update: Replacing fuel injectors. Technicians spoke with Hyundai support, and this is a known issue. (Multiple similar incidents reported.)

My question is if it were known, why didn't they fix this the first time?

I'm losing faith in my Hyundai service department and I love this brand. Hopefully it will be good after this.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
should be good, as I think the member with the faulty injectors has not reported any further issues

reason they didn't fix first time was the error codes they were presented with pointed to a specific fault

I have seen something similar on a diesel engine, the symptom was the DPF filter was clogging and needing regen far too frequently, ended up DPF replaced as that was what was being indicated, but fault was actually a failing injector, injector to much fuel. the tell tale black smoke was being masked by the DPF doing its job

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
Just got off the phone with my local service department. Technician stated the fuel injectors were replaced, upon testing the vehicle the issue still occurred (hesitation, jerking, shuddering.)

Tomorrow they are going to replace the o2 sensor again, the fuel injectors again from what I understand and then do a test run again. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

However, As i have seen on other post on this forum, other vehicles have had these very same issues and misdiagnosing problems and ended up replacing the cylinder head. I mentioned that to my service representative and he is going to relay that information to Hyundai technical support or whoever at Hyundai they have to go through to complete the diagnosing and task's at hand through warranty etc.

Hopefully I will have better news tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: This has been nothing short of a nightmare.

Picked up the vehicle Friday after they replaced all fuel injectors and the oxygen sensor again. Service department said they had driven the vehicle three times no issues.

A few miles later first hesitation occurred. Continued on the drive home, C.E.L. re-appeared, with first diagnostic messages saying there had been problem with the engine control module, second saying my vehicle had multiple issues and to schedule a service at my convenience, just like the previous two times these mechanical failures occurred. Soon after, My ioniq hybrid started jerking and hesitating worse than before and could barely hold 30mph. Pulled over, vehicle kept misfiring and almost dying, finally made it to a well-lit parking lot and called roadside, was too afraid to get on the highway with it. Roadside arrived an hour later, after calling and being extremely rude to me. This all happened within three hours of just picking up the "fixed" vehicle from the service department at my local Hyundai dealer.

The next day I went to pick up a loaner and the service department hadn't even received the vehicle in the allotted time the tow truck driver stated that it would arrive (between 9 and 10am.) I became suspicious and called the local towing company and it just so happened that the blue-link representative handling my occurrence forgot to put the codes in to have the vehicle towed from the storage lot that it had to stay at overnight back to the dealer. Called blue-link around 12pm and they said they took care of it and would send a confirmation of it getting where it needed to go. Six hours later, no confirmation, called blue-link AGAIN (around 6pm), and they had still not corrected the issue. So my representative (Vanessa) finally handled it personally and states she has got the job done. We will find out. My vehicle sits in a storage lot until monday at 8am because of Blue-link having communication/representative issues.

I am so distraught, I do not know what to do, I have contacted Hyundai Motor Group America through multiple channels and I get no responses. To name a few, Email, Facebook, Instagram, and now Snapchat. I just want my car fixed, I love the vehicle, but no one at the service department can seem to diagnose the problem. It also seems the regional rep is completely unconcerned and unaware of the same issue occurring on multiple other vehicles like mine. I have told the service department at my local Hyundai about the cylinder head issues I see on this forum and I feel their hands are tied through the warranty reps and regional managers on what to do. Im losing trust that my vehicle is going to be fixed in a quality, up to speed manner.

I purchased a new vehicle a month ago, and its been in the shop 3 out of the 4 weeks Ive had it and still has less than two thousand miles on the odometer. (1822 to be exact.) Im so tired of loaner vehicles that have the bare minimum of options when I purchased a fully loaded vehicle, my first payment comes up this month and I haven't even driven the vehicle for one solid week.

This is a disaster, I love Hyundai, but they need to right this issue... It's certainly out of hand. Hyundai Owners assurance pledge is to have "exceptional customer service and owner satisfaction." Im hopeful that eventually this pledge will come through... They also state that "Our goal is to give you one-on-one, personalized service and provide you with the best possible solution in the shortest amount of time. That’s our commitment to you" Im not sure what's going on, but I certainly do not feel they back this claim at this point in time. Its extremely disheartening, because I truly do believe in Hyundai. They have always provided my family with quality, service and care. Until now.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Not good.

Hope you get it sorted. Stat.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
786 Posts
Hope this is sorted out soon for you. The service to the customer seems to be at a minimum.

I've had cars with these symptoms before. In general there are four parts to look into around the engine,
Air flow, control valve, engine valves, O2 sensor, temperature sensors
Fuel, injection, fuel pumppressure, filter
Ignition, timing, wiring, moisture
Bad electrical connections to, or defective electronics in the control module can also result in this behaviour.

All can result in bad engine behaviour or fluctuating O2 measurements. Replacing parts without a good diagnostics seems ineffective.

Interesting to hear the result.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When does the Lemon Law kick in and they simply replace the vehicle with a new one? How do you force them to just go there and stop dinking around trying to fix it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey you all! So, the car finally made it to the service department Monday, no word on what the next steps of diagnosing it are. Discussed with the service rep, for my dealer... and he is now in contact with some regional tech and warranty people... warranty kinda has the mechanics hands tied so to speak, and I get it... it's corporate. They say what they can and can't do yet. We will see, I'm strongly still leaning towards a fault in the cylinder head seeing as though it definitely ran like it wasn't running on all four cylinders when the gas engine was engaged.

Also, had never received any updates through an actual person from Hyundai consumer affairs/customer care regarding the three emails I have sent consumer affairs. So... I called them to see if I could speed up the process on making Hyundai aware of the issue and speed up fixing the vehicle, customer care says "Amy" is assigned to my case and will be in touch within the week. This happened Tuesday...

I asked if I could have a direct number or email, and customer care repeated that they were aware and "Amy" would make contact.

In otherwise they refused to let me make the first initial contact with "Amy" and rather would like me to wait to see what this case manager says when she makes the first initial contact.

Still no initial contact with Amy (Thursday), trying to wait patiently. I really miss my Ioniq... this 18' sonata sel just doesn't perform the way the Ioniq does (when it works) nor does it have the nicer features I purchased on my Ioniq limited. Thankful for a loaner car on warranty, but my first payment is the 19th and I still haven't had my car for a full week without it being placed in the shop. Not to mention I'm paying a payment that includes multiple features that are definitely not on this loaner sonata.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@mtsar, I don't want the car replaced, just the issue with the engine fixed and in proper working condition. However, if this continues into next month. I will have to make that discussion with my dealer. So far my dealer, has been easy to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
good to hear the dealer is being helpful and answering questions as much as they can

I am wondering if it may actually be a faulty ICE ECU or wiring loom, the other option is a faulty coil pack or MAF sensor (air mass meter)

can't see it being the head, but there is a lot of stuff in the for the variable valve timing etc, and if the valve timing is out it will likely be a new engine

so many things, but without further more detailed info it is difficult to diagnose

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I agree! It's hard to really know, I'm not sure of what it is, I've offered to help them in anyway I can with the info I have seen on these forums! I just really miss my vehicle. LOL!

To update everyone, "Amy" called this morning, couldn't get to the phone as I was somewhat busy today... tried to call her back, no answer and left a message. Tried to call back later still no answer, so it's clear I'm on their time, not my own within their corporate customer service. I'm sure my dealer probably feels the same way! Haha. Hoping the next time she has the time I am not working, doing interviews or away from my phone.

Dealing with corporate customer service is truly... frustrating, I understand how busy they are though. Trying not to get impatient!

Also, still no word from the local dealer service dept. Tomorrow will make a week since it was towed. Didn't have it the previous majority of the week either, as I had just picked it up that day.

Definitely a struggle to be positive at this point!

·
Registered
818 Posts
To update everyone, "Amy" called this morning, couldn't get to the phone as I was somewhat busy today... tried to call her back, no answer and left a message. Tried to call back later still no answer, so it's clear I'm on their time, not my own within their corporate customer service. week either, as I had just picked it up that day.
Don't forget Korean working hours do not coincide with yours due to the time change, Hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My representative(Amy) is in Long Beach, California, at Hyundai Motor America! Thank you though friend, I definitely hope it is worked out soon!

·
Registered
818 Posts
My representative(Amy) is in Long Beach, California, at Hyundai Motor America! Thank you though friend, I definitely hope it is worked out soon!
AHHHH OK...sorry...I assumed you were dealing with the mother company. Not good if your contact has become unavailable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone, just picked up the vehicle today! They called an engineer in from out of state it seems to look at my vehicle. It's been hooked up to a diagnostic computer, sat idle and driven while on the computer to read what was going on. Iggy went in with 1822 returned with 1916. So I know they were definitely driving and testing. The service rep states that the engineer determined it was a faulty "mass air flow sensor" after running all of the test.

Anyway, so far so good since pick up today! No jerking, shuddering or hesitation in ICE mode. Returning 48-58mpg. Happy to be back in my vehicle and hoping it is fully fixed this time and no more issues will occur!

"Amy" the HMA customer rep never returned my my call back once over the course of a week, or even replied to any of the emails. Left a voicemail twice during that period returning her call. She is the most unprofessional communicator I have ever dealt with, and will be calling HMA to file a complaint against her.

I've never been ugly about the situation to anyone involved, I love my service department and they have went above and beyond to take care of me each time to try and diagnose the car through tech line support and warranty at Hyundai motor America. I'm not sure why my HMA rep ignores me, each voice mail has been pleasant and personable.

Hopefully, after I talk to another manager about her unprofessionalism and disclose what happened with my vehicle, my tech line customer service, the misdiagnosing and other issues, it won't be as bad or take as long to diagnose for anyone else with an Ioniq with similar issues.

Hyundai has been my preferred brand for a LONG time, unfortunately personally dealing with corporate America Hyundai as well as blue link this occurrence, was completely disappointing.

I have all of my personal documentation of conversations, mechanical failures etc., and copies of each diagnosing and reoccurrence of engine failure. So if the issue re-occurs, I have means to go forward with replacing the vehicle through my states lemon law. Hope it doesn't come to that, because, y'all I just love this car!!! If it does, it'll be another Ioniq.

Happy motoring!

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
I am wondering if it may actually be a faulty ICE ECU or wiring loom, the other option is a faulty coil pack or MAF sensor (air mass meter)
glad its sorted, keep an eye on it for the next few weeks, if you have no issue by new year if think you should be good :)

MAF sensor was one of my guesses :)

MAF sensor measures the volume of air being drawn into the engine so the ECU can work out the correct volume of fuel to inject into the cylinder for optimum power / efficiency (roughly 14:1) it normally has a temperature sensor in it as well as the temperature affects the number of "air" molecules in a given volume, the ECU normally has a pressure / altitude sensor as well

so you can see it is quite a complex calculation, taking into account volume, temp and pressure to work out the amount of fuel required

1 - 20 of 39 Posts