Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

does anyone have experience with the Dutch Fastned stations? Do you use the 50 kw or 100 kw connector for the ioniq EV?

greets!

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I don't have yet, I've always charged at home.

Can you introduce yourself in the new member section?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have and it works fine, as far as I know there is no 100kw charger available (yet) at Fastned, the fastest charger is 50kw and it works fine! I also drive a Renault Zoë and have charged it several times at fastned also without any issues but that is AC and the Ioniq uses DC (CCS). I think Fastned is planning for 150kw chargers (update), but in that case ofcourse the Ioniq would only be able to charge at 100kw as that is the maximum charge speed. By the way the difference in charging time between 50kw and 100kw is not that big I think it is about 8 minutes maximum (see the user manual)

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Bjorn Nyland has shown that the maximal charging power for the Ioniq EV is 70 kW, even when you use a 100 kW charger.

Reactions: iet

·
Registered
254 Posts
In the video, the battery is charged to 100%. I thought with fast charging you can only reach 94% max.
Any experiences? I never charged up to that much at a fast charger.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
At the end after 30 minutes (1:40 in the video) it displayed 94%. Where did you see 100%?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not with an Ioniq, but with an Imiev, only at 50... of course. But it worked pretty well, and very fast. There's also something special about those solar charging stations, compared to other fast loaders. You feel kinda special under that special roof just a bit farther away from the gas stations, but close enough to go get a cup of coffee while you wait :) I'm a fan! Heard London is getting them as well, waiting for Belgium and Germany to pick it up :)
http://media.nu.nl/m/m1mxccbaxnah_wd1280.jpg/fastned-bouwt-snellaadstations-in-haag.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
At the end after 30 minutes (1:40 in the video) it displayed 94%. Where did you see 100%?
The battery shown on the left side of the screen. Didn't notice the other one on the right side.
Confusing.... :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the answers! I somehow thought Fastned also offers 100kw loading. I will try and visit one soon since i'll be needing them for the longer trips i think.

@Jan: I will introduce myself soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The battery shown on the left side of the screen. Didn't notice the other one on the right side.
Confusing.... :eek:
Indeed confusing. I think the left hand indicates how far the charging session is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fastned works just fine with the Ioniq; tested it the first weekend I had the car. At the moment only 50kW, but Fastned is working on an upgrade. When the charge starts at Fastned it will first say that it will charge to 80%, but at 80% it will say that the car can be loaded to 94%. At 94% the charging stops. Btw: Perhaps I misunderstand your first remark but there is no difference in connector for 50 or 100kW; same CCS connector, just more power on the DC pins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aye, I have used the FastNed stations 4 times now, I like 'm (company pays for the expenses). Up to 50 a 60% is quite fast in my experience and after that, the charging speed goes down rapidly. It's usually fast enough to add 100kms extra in about 10 to 15 minutes (time enough for a coffee and a wee).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fastned works just fine with the Ioniq; tested it the first weekend I had the car. At the moment only 50kW, but Fastned is working on an upgrade. When the charge starts at Fastned it will first say that it will charge to 80%, but at 80% it will say that the car can be loaded to 94%. At 94% the charging stops. Btw: Perhaps I misunderstand your first remark but there is no difference in connector for 50 or 100kW; same CCS connector, just more power on the DC pins.
Fastned told me there's not going to be a 100 kW charger for other cars than Tesla's, and that the next step will be 150 kW for other cars. Can the Ioniq handle that? Is it wise, or more safe to stay with the 50 kW charger? We don't want to damage things of course...

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The car takes car for safety by limiting the power level to 70 kW when using 100 kW or 150 kW chargers.

Reactions: iet

·
Registered
8 Posts
The car has a Battery Management System (BMS) and that communicates with the charger. So the car will limit the amount of power it draws from the charger to 70kW. That is why you get an estimate on the display of the Fastned charger. It tells you it will cancel loading the car at a certain percentage; it is the car that is in control.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In the 50kW chargers, what we see is that the current is fixed (at 125A). The power will depend, because the voltage will be lower at the beginning (about 300V total) and higher in the end (some 380V near 80%), that gives you 37.5kW to 47.5kW (give or take the internal resistence).

Because the charger will never deliver more than 125A, a car with a larger battery that starts charging at the same voltage than a car with a smaller battery, will always charge slower (because the voltage will take longer to rise).

It would be interesting to have a log of the voltage and current of those very powerful chargers. If anyone has an ELM-327, for the good of science...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts