Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apparently it can. I don't know where you are, but in the UK there aren't any rapid chargers over 50kw yet, unless you've got a Tesla - their superchargers are 120 (theoretically)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can the Ioniq fast charge at 100 kw?

Yes you may be able to rapid charge your Ioniq BEV, but please, please, do not. Let me explain why not.

Do the maths. I have read that a Tesla model S with 85 kw battery has 7,104 cells in it. If you charge it at 100kw - that's 100,000 watts. Divided by all 7,104 cells, means each cell gets 14.07 watts each. Charging to 4.2 volts = 3.35 amps per cell. Not too much really.

Now connect the same 100 kw (100,000 watts) charger to your Ioniq BEV battery. It only has 96 cells. 100,000 watts divided equally between 96 cells = 1042 watts. per cell. YOU WILL "COOK" YOUR BATTERY very quickly. Imagine a 1kw electric fire inside each cell. I am sure that that will paint the picture for you.

Now think of connecting your Ioniq BEV to a 150kw charger = 1562 watts per cell ! !

You can probably connect the charger through the CCS charging port - and the battery will probably take it for a while, but you will very quickly damage it. To make you battery last a good number of years the rule on this one is simple:

DO NOT RAPID CHRAGE, DO NOT RAPID CHARGE, DO NOT RAPID CHARGE,

well not unless it is necessary. But understand that you are shortening the life of your battery each time you do it, particularly at 100kw and 150kw. This applies to all makes of BEV and PHEV. It does not apply to the Ioniq HEV because you can not connect them to an external power supply (I don't think)! It only charges off the regenerative braking (?).

·
Registered
103 Posts
It does not apply to the Ioniq HEV because you can not connect them to an external power supply (I don't think)! It only charges off the regenerative braking (?).
Correct! And thanks for your posts with all the interesting details!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the HEV charge off both regenerative braking and the generator on the ICE

my dealer asked at there training about using fast chargers and the answer they got was not a problem, don't affect the battery

in the EV manual page H12 says, (my bold / underline below)

now question is does the car track the number of times and frequency of your use of fast / rapid chargers so it can be taken into account in warranty claims against the HV battery pack

Charging Information

:- Normal Charge :
The electric vehicle is charged by plugging into a normal charger installed in your home or a public charging station. (For further details, refer to the 'Normal Charge'.)

:- Fast Charge (if equipped):
You can charge at high speeds at public charging stations. Refer to the respective company's manual that is provided for each fast charger type. Battery performance and durability can deteriorate if the fast charger is
used constantly.

Use of fast charge should be minimized in order to help prolong high voltage battery life.

:- Trickle Charge :
The Electric vehicle can be charged by using household electricity. The electrical outlet in your home must comply with regulations and can safely accommodate the Voltage / Current (Amps) / Power (Watts) ratings specified on the portable charge.

Charging Time Information

:- Normal Charge :
Takes about 4 hours 25 minutes at room temperature. (Can be charged to 100%.)

:- Fast Charge (if equipped):
- 50 kw charger : Takes about 30 minutes at room temperature when charged to 80%.
- 100 kw charger : Takes about 23 minutes at room temperature when charged to 80%.
Both 50/100 kw charger can be charged to 94%.

:- Trickle Charge :
Takes up to 12 hours at room temperature. (Can be charged to 100%.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
now question is does the car track the number of times and frequency of your use of fast / rapid chargers so it can be taken into account in warranty claims against the HV battery pack[/QUOTE]

Wow! Big Brother looking over your shoulder or Wot?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer asked at there training about using fast chargers and the answer they got was not a problem, don't affect the battery

My sales person in Gateshead said they were told at the same training that "the lithiun-ion battery does not degrade".

I believed that one too ! !

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
thing is there are so many computer systems in the car and they log and track faults etc,

I believe the EV you can read all the power stats for some time back, so to track the frequency and amount of power provided by different chargers would be relatively simple

question is do they track that data, and if so what is it used for?

it could be used for product development, in that it is downloaded at service and aggregated together so Hyundai can see how often people use each type of charger so they can improve the charge controller and charging options, and due to being aggregated they can't see the vehicles the data come from

or it could be used to avoid warranty claims on the HV battery if you have used rapid chargers to charge over 80%, although I would think this is very unlikely

I have no idea if they do track it but just giving the 2 scenarios above to highlight how the same data can be used in different ways,

you can see from the "Driving Style" display all sorts of data can be tracked and presented to the driver or stored for reference later

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you have used rapid chargers to charge over 80%
The car stops charging at 94% on fast chargers, which is assume is a design decision by Hyundai to prevent overloading the batteries.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...I have no idea if they do track it but just giving the 2 scenarios above to highlight how the same data can be used in different ways,

you can see from the "Driving Style" display all sorts of data can be tracked and presented to the driver or stored for reference later
Battery degradation is "tracked" by the battery life monitor. All BEVs that I'm aware of have one.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
What exactly does such a life monitor show? In which kind of unit?

·
Registered
260 Posts
A battery life monitor directly measures battery degradation from all causes, including fast charges and fast discharges and prolonged periods of full charge or very low charge which also accelerate degradation. It's a direct measurement of the battery's internal resistance which increases over time and use. That is, degradation is the increase in battery internal resistance. The Nissan Leaf has a battery degradation gauge right in the dash, for example. More info here:

Let?s talk about battery degradation ? Living LEAF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts