Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received an email today that had this:

You’ll also get a first look at the IONIQ 5 EV Wednesday, September 22, 8 AM–12 PM PDT on Hyundai Showroom Live at HyundaiUSA.com.
Available winter 2021.

Before they said it would be available in the fall. Now it is 'Winter 2021', which means December.

I'm counting on the $7500 tax rebate available this year to be able to afford this car, possibly not available next year (since this car may be too expensive to be allowed a tax rebate depending on how they write the law for next year), so this December 2021 availability date is really cutting it close, and has me worried.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
337 Posts
Interesting. This is the time of the Ionic 5 live broadcast that has always shown a preproduction. Now I need to see if they have the real production unit.

Re the $7,500 tax credit, this is an established program and is not affected by the $1T bill that passed the Senate. I would not worry too much about the $3T+ bill passing the Senate even as a reconciliation as our Democratic Senator has said she will not support it. All 50 democrats will need to support it to pass. I expect a lot of negotiations (read as next year) before it even get close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. This is the time of the Ionic 5 live broadcast that has always shown a preproduction. Now I need to see if they have the real production unit.

Re the $7,500 tax credit, this is an established program and is not affected by the $1T bill that passed the Senate. I would not worry too much about the $3T+ bill passing the Senate even as a reconciliation as our Democratic Senator has said she will not support it. All 50 democrats will need to support it to pass. I expect a lot of negotiations (read as next year) before it even get close.
I saw a news headline that mentioned that the President wanted to extend the EV tax credit into 2022. That sounds to me like the tax credit ends in 2021 unless it is extended.

Congress might extend it, but with income or car price restrictions (I've heard < $40k) or they may make it bigger, and even allow it on cars that have already used up their quota of cars in the program, such as Tesla. In that case it means that Hyundai will have only the two weeks of 2021 (Winter, 2021) where it has the $7500 price advantage over its main competitor.

I have a reservation for the Ioniq 5. It looks like an amazing car with some great features. But to be affordable to me (I'm making some assumption on what they will charge for the car), I need the rebate.

I can get similar (less desirable) EV right now and get the tax rebate, making it affordable.

Or I can take a risk on a two week period and risk not having any EV in that class available at the end of the year.

I'm sure the car will sell well without me, but I wish I didn't have to be in this situation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@t_newt,

As far as I know this was all talk. Not 100% going to happen with regards to cap on price of car and if you qualify based on your tax bracket.

That being said I finalized my reservation for the VW ID.4 AWD and may put money down on the cheaper Polestar 2 AWD. Both should be here by the end of the year.

If the $7500 tax credit as it currently stands does end this year I do want to buy an EV this year. Whatever I end up buying will be the most expensive vehicle I ever bought by a large amount.

If I where you I would look at current options for EVs you know you can buy by the end of the year. Test drive them (if you can) and be prepared if needed to buy one of those this year.

Hopefully by some point in November it will be clear on what is going on with the $7500 tax credit moving forward and when the Ioniq 5s show up.

I wouldn’t wait until December 20th to make a choice on what car to buy. With inventory really low this year I could see very few options let alone one worth your time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
@t_newt,

As far as I know this was all talk. Not 100% going to happen with regards to cap on price of car and if you qualify based on your tax bracket.

That being said I finalized my reservation for the VW ID.4 AWD and may put money down on the cheaper Polestar 2 AWD. Both should be here by the end of the year.

If the $7500 tax credit as it currently stands does end this year I do want to buy an EV this year. Whatever I end up buying will be the most expensive vehicle I ever bought by a large amount.

If I where you I would look at current options for EVs you know you can buy by the end of the year. Test drive them (if you can) and be prepared if needed to buy one of those this year.

Hopefully by some point in November it will be clear on what is going on with the $7500 tax credit moving forward and when the Ioniq 5s show up.

I wouldn’t wait until December 20th to make a choice on what car to buy. With inventory really low this year I could see very few options let alone one worth your time.
We have similar scenarios. At this point the odds of going ID.4 AWD are far greater than Ioniq 5 for me assuming VW doesn’t slip on their estimated delivery for my reservation. My fallback will be to try and find an ID.4 AWD at a dealer by year’s end if my delivery slips. I don’t have much interest in Polestar for various reasons - range, price, non-flat floor, too carlike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have similar scenarios. At this point the odds of going ID.4 AWD are far greater than Ioniq 5 for me assuming VW doesn’t slip on their estimated delivery for my reservation. My fallback will be to try and find an ID.4 AWD at a dealer by year’s end if my delivery slips. I don’t have much interest in Polestar for various reasons - range, price, non-flat floor, too carlike.
I thought of a way Hyundai could relieve their customers' stress of having the Ioniq 5 only available for two weeks of 2021 (if we are lucky). They could speed up their process and give us pricing and delivery dates earlier rather than later.

I know...small odds of that happening. But we can dream.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder what the delay means for our $100 deposits. Previously, Hyundai said it would refund our deposits if we don't use them to take delivery of an IONIQ 5 (or other Hyundai model) by Dec 31st.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Tuscon PHEV is listed on Hyundai's site as coming out in Summer of '21. The price listed, if you frequent the US page frequently you can probably guess, is "Coming Soon".

This does not bode well for getting information anytime soon on the 5. We may not get prices until December (at the earliest).

On second thought, Winter 21 may turn to Spring or Summer 22 before all is said and done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At this point, the novelty is starting to wear off. Not super excited to pay premium price to get the same car in 2022 that has been available in Europe for almost a year already and pretend it’s new any more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wonder what the delay means for our $100 deposits. Previously, Hyundai said it would refund our deposits if we don't use them to take delivery of an IONIQ 5 (or other Hyundai model) by Dec 31st.
I recall it may have been Dec. 2022.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The deposits would be refunded if the order wasn’t placed before January 1, 2022
So now I wonder what will happen. Who knows at this point. Maybe when they said "Winter 2021" they were tempering expectations for an early fall release but that reservation holders will still have a reasonable shot at taking delivery by end of year 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
48 Posts
The deposits would be refunded if the order wasn’t placed before January 1, 2022
The Terms and Conditions say "In the event you have not completed a purchase or lease transaction for the Vehicle by December 31, 2021, your reservation request will be forfeited, and your Deposit will be automatically refunded to the original payment source you provided.". It's here: 2022 IONIQ 5 Insider Program | Terms & Conditions | Hyundai USA

In addition, here are a couple bullet items from the FAQ page (Hyundai Insider Program FAQs | 2022 IONIQ 5 | Hyundai USA):

Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Paper

Product Azure Font Art Electric blue

·
Registered
40 Posts
According to an update on this article, Hyundai says the release date is not changing from this year:
"As planned, IONIQ 5 will still start to arrive at dealerships by the end of the year or Fall. The timing remains unchanged. The consumer site states winter as that is when the Ioniq 5 is widely available," Hyundai spokesperson Brandon Ramirez told Motor1.com.

·
Registered
135 Posts
According to an update on this article, Hyundai says the release date is not changing from this year:
"As planned, IONIQ 5 will still start to arrive at dealerships by the end of the year or Fall. The timing remains unchanged. The consumer site states winter as that is when the Ioniq 5 is widely available," Hyundai spokesperson Brandon Ramirez told Motor1.com.

I came to post that as well. Official response is "by end of year" or "Fall". Which is it?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts