Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to be add range, adding these vortex generators on the back adjacent to the shark fin antena. Consumption went down from 7.1km/kWh to 5,3 km/kWh with the same route and same driving style.
Immediately took off these fins. Lesson learnt

Window Property Furniture Hood Building

·
Registered
423 Posts
Don't think vortex generators are what you want here. Idk if anyone has the software to do an aerodynamic simulation of the I5's body, but AFAIK the problem (which also, I think, is why the rear window is not effectively swept clean by airflow) is that the spoiler is not optimized and airflow detaches from the rear window, producing turbulent flow. What you might want to consider is an extension / mild reprofiling of the spoiler to see if you can smooth out the airflow a bit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nobody is going to beat what Hyundai did.
Vortex generatores are used to preserve a laminar flow over an airfoil at high angles of attack. ... they increase lift at low speed. ... they also cause drag.

If you want more range, add a PSI to the tires and drive slower.
Skeptical of that honestly, as indications are that the spoiler is pretty ineffective for its designed purpose. This suggests that either it's geometry/design is wrong, or that the overall geometry of the rear of the vehicle would defeat any reasonable attempt at producing efficient airflow (There's no doubt an element of this).

Regardless, I'd definitely be interested to see the results of attempts to improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the spoiler / rear end to reduce drag and/or improve rear windscreen cleaning effect. Not my type of engineering, but there's probably someone around with education in aerodynamics who could play around with it. For what it's worth, people have already been playing with designing aerodynamically efficient tonneau covers for the F-150 lightning, so clearly the geometry of a vehicle's rear end can have a nontrivial aerodynamic effect.

(Also, I'd be curious to see attempts to modify the I5 wheel wells with the I6's reportedly less draggy configuration. If possible, and not stupid looking / dangerous, it wouldn't really take much to achieve nontrivial improvements in range due to drag reduction)

·
Registered
20 Posts
In an attempt to be add range, adding these vortex generators on the back adjacent to the shark fin antena. Consumption went down from 7.1km/kWh to 5,3 km/kWh with the same route and same driving style.
Immediately took off these fins. Lesson learnt

View attachment 45091
Are you sure these are genuine vortex generators? They look like they are too 'fat' and will cause a local acceleration in the airflow causing a lateral vortex and local drag behind the object. It seems these will only cause interference and some form drag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the advice, yes bought the bortex generator from Amazon, right now ordering Eco-Fin from eBay.
Deemed as original vortex generator, previously known as Airblade
This is what I remember as being a vortex generator.
Wood Rectangle Art Metal Font

When they are fitted to an aircraft they should look like this...

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Notice that they are not closed like the ones you fitted, so air freely passes through them. They should re-energise the boundary layer just at the point of normal separation so they have to be fitted just at the right position to be effective. One of the best things you can do (as mentioned by someone else here is keep your tyres at the correct pressure and keep your car clean. Your car looks like we could eat an ice cream of it, its that good!

Note: I'm confused as to which way you fitted these; in your picture, are we looking from the front of the car or from the rear? The item you bought should be fitted with the open side facing forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts