Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My 2019 Ioniq does it too It's annoying I wonder they will have a fix for this
I sincerely hope so. If anything the noise has gotten louder and more ear piercing since I started this thread - I swear I attract looks of concern from passerbyers. Hard to tolerate it and sincerely dampens my enjoyment of this otherwise fantastic vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see some one on the post reached out to dealership. I hate to bring it there if there is nothing they can do

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm fairly certain my card is developing this issue, too.
I took my dad for a ride yesterday and he pointed it out to me. It kinda kills the whole "ride in silence" I was boasting about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm fairly certain my card is developing this issue, too.
I took my dad for a ride yesterday and he pointed it out to me. It kinda kills the whole "ride in silence" I was boasting about.
Ugh, and I see your have a 2020 model year, too. I was hoping that this was an issue that would have been resolved in the redesign. Very unfortunate as you're right, it does kill the "quiet" vibe that an EV is usually known for.

@Mckev62, I took my car to two different dealership's service center. Nothing either of them could do to resolve my issue. Hopefully you have better luck if you decide to go.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I remembered this post and decided to check it out before going to the dealers'. Seeing your results I don't know if I'll even bother. Will report back if I do decide to go though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ugh, and I see your have a 2020 model year, too. I was hoping that this was an issue that would have been resolved in the redesign. Very unfortunate as you're right, it does kill the "quiet" vibe that an EV is usually known for.

@Mckev62, I took my car to two different dealership's service center. Nothing either of them could do to resolve my issue. Hopefully you have better luck if you decide to go.
Have to start asking if anyone is not having this issue

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2020 Ioniq has has a high pitch noise on acceleration and regeneration. You only really hear it when the window is open, most noticeable when sound bounces of cars or walls nearby. You could call it a chirping noise. Sounds a bit like two fast spinning metal surfaces lightly touching each other with no lubrication.
It only occurs when the motor is under load not when the are no power or regen bars on the gauge when using the pedal and no sound if switch to neutral whilst still moving
Was going to report to dealer but my car was t-boned on Monday and I suspect it is going to be written off.
I think I read it may be a faulty bearing in the motor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My 2020 Ioniq has has a high pitch noise on acceleration and regeneration. You only really hear it when the window is open, most noticeable when sound bounces of cars or walls nearby. You could call it a chirping noise. Sounds a bit like two fast spinning metal surfaces lightly touching each other with no lubrication.
It only occurs when the motor is under load not when the are no power or regen bars on the gauge when using the pedal and no sound if switch to neutral whilst still moving
Was going to report to dealer but my car was t-boned on Monday and I suspect it is going to be written off.
I think I read it may be a faulty bearing in the motor.
Good - and frustrating, for us - to see that this is apparently a growing problem. The more of us there are complaining of this, the more pressure Hyundai will be under to provide a fix. Felt like I was totally alone among Ioniq owners when I first reported this almost a year ago now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem sounds more electric than mechanical. Reminds of sound old tube television would make when they had a problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can hear it too but only with the windows rolled down. To me it just sounds like coil whine. Or indeed CRT displays and televisions, or phone chargers, laptop chargers, etc. Basically anything electric.

Hasn't bothered me yet though. Perhaps if it gets louder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I can hear it too but only with the windows rolled down. To me it just sounds like coil whine. Or indeed CRT displays and televisions, or phone chargers, laptop chargers, etc. Basically anything electric.

Hasn't bothered me yet though. Perhaps if it gets louder.
Mine has absolutely gotten louder since the first time I started hearing it. At this point I hear it with the windows rolled up, with the radio on at a moderate volume. I can drown it out by turning music up loud but that’s not typically how I like to drive. Hopefully yours doesn’t get any worse!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My car has become worse from it not being there to being annoying. It's probably a small component in a circuit that is not up to task.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My '19 is still silent in the car (8000 miles) but with the Windows down, primarily the passenger window, I can hear it. To me it still sounds like I would expect and electric car to sound. It is not objectionable to me. Those with sensitive hearing, I can understand it might.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My '19 is still silent in the car (8000 miles) but with the Windows down, primarily the passenger window, I can hear it. To me it still sounds like I would expect and electric car to sound. It is not objectionable to me. Those with sensitive hearing, I can understand it might.
Certainly wish we were as lucky and/or satisfied as you are! I admit this issue has put a real damper on my enjoyment of the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do any Hyundai representatives follow this forum. They might be able to help get the issue to Hyundai

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey guys,

Just want to let you know that i also hear this whining sound on my ioniq ev premium 2019. HOWEVER, it is most noticable during warmere weather. I dont think i have ever heard during winther., not that i remember,
For me it happens typically on a warm day, and a cold start from the car. And the sound goes away abov 60 km/h i think,. and yes, its much more noticable when windows are down.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts